Electric fences

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
A quick question, do any of you guys use electric fences solo for containing your stock while at camp or out hunting? I use portable and Permanent electric fencing at home, and just curious if people use them in the backcountry and not rely on high lines? Thanks

Yes! I think it’s a great option. I use a solar powered unit that’s a little heavy.

It’s a little more to pack than I’d like, but I love that my mules can graze well and do it safely while I’m not around.

I’m sure there are some lighter, better options.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
We use electric fence in the mountains as well at times to graze. But rarely for long periods of time. Overnight is about as much as ill give them sometimes. And, i graze them hobbled in the hot fence. Otherwise, they are tied up.

If i only take a few, i will graze them on picket ropes. My typical rule of thumb is 4 and less are picketed if i take more than 4, i hot fence/hobble. Seems to be close to tge balance point of time and gear packed in for me.

mntnguide

WKR
You can build a pretty easy lightweight system. Ive left my horses in this all day and night with no issues. The charger came with my bear fence kit, It doesn't pack a big punch so i use it on the horse fence, and have the bigger AN90 version for my bear fence around camp. I bought lightweight fiberglass fence rods that I now use along with the pigtail posts. If I'm hunting with a buddy and have over 4 horses, i have a 2nd reel of fence I'll throw in to make a bigger pasture. Entire system weighs nothing, and i just top pack the posts right on my bear boxes.
0128490636a129a4e0dd2712adf149b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
a ski rope winder makes a great wire holder. it is east to dispense and roll up wire.

30 years ago i quit carrying posts and started to just string wire through the bushes. my stock runs in a hot fence so they wont test it for a few days. if one gets too smart i use hay string to tie up the wire so it is insulated and toasty.

30 years ago i quit carrying posts and started to just string wire through the bushes. my stock runs in a hot fence so they wont test it for a few days. if one gets too smart i use hay string to tie up the wire so it is insulated and toasty.

I've taken about half the posts I used to and take a little baggie of the screw in insulators. Easy to connect a few trees and make a pretty substainal pasture that'll last 3-4 days.

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
The switch to a Efence from highline was a great decision.

Couple of Youtube videos:

Then about half way through this one I show a cool breakdown post setup I built:
Right on, great video and good looking burro. We had an older Jesus burro that gave up the ghost last winter. Great little burro and nice country down there in New Mexico. Good training on your part for Comet

Attachments

• 6437366E-7D1C-44E5-9EE2-ADCC0E1143F5.jpeg
    6437366E-7D1C-44E5-9EE2-ADCC0E1143F5.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 15

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
IMG_0387.jpeg
I have a pretty similar setup at mntnguide. I also pack a plastic handle to make an easy gate and my charger is a solar Gallagher S12 with lituim batteries. Very light, no batteries, charges fast and holds a charge. Also packs a punch when you’re dumb enough to forget to turn it off and try to step over the wire.

I highline overnight, but I use an elec fence for them to graze. I also use the AN20 charger like someone pictured above. Runs off two D cell batteries and they last forever and it hits pretty hard. I have some of the cheap fiberglass rods and I cut them into thirds for easier packing and use some aluminum ferrules to piece them together.

d9d4e8e7111a5323372c56a2e6cf5cf1.jpg

0355e967009783aebb727730823f7e47.jpg

Giles19

FNG
What are you guys using for a grounding rod? I've got an AN20 charger and fiberglass poles as well but have been packing around a stupidly big grounding rod that I got at the fencing store. Looking for something lighter. Maybe a short piece of rebar would suffice?

mntnguide

WKR
What are you guys using for a grounding rod? I've got an AN20 charger and fiberglass poles as well but have been packing around a stupidly big grounding rod that I got at the fencing store. Looking for something lighter. Maybe a short piece of rebar would suffice?
I would suggest copper or aluminum, not rebar. Much better conductivity for a ground. There's a reason all ground rods are copper for home installations and all power poles have copper ground wire. You can find lightweight aluminum ground rods as well, or you can buy a copper one and cut it down to a foot or so

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i carry a 6 in spike in my bag that is a good ground. once i forgot the spike so i dug a trench and buried some fence wire in it for a ground. if it is dry you can help the ground rod by pouring water on it every day. sandy soil can make for a poor ground.

WyoHuntr

FNG
I switched to a GallagherS12 solar unit this year. That little sucker packs a punch! It is definitely not weight prohibitive with horses. I always run my basecamps with solar fencing. That way my fat lazy horses can mow down some calories and keep themselves occupied.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Been using electric fence for many years. i highline at night whenever we are in moose country or very far back in the backcountry, especially in early to late fall during the moose rut. Moose can make a pretty good tangle out of any wire and they go wherever they want.

Coues123

FNG
Unless I'm watching them, I always keep one tied up. Even a few minutes with the wrong lead horse headed home can be a horse race.
Elk have run through my electric fence more times than I want to remember.
You have to know your stock and what can be turned loose with what.

mntnguide

WKR
Are you guys keeping one tied up, while the others are in the electric corral?

I like the idea of hobbling inside the fence as a little insirance.
agree with what is said above.. just depends on how well you know your stock. Ive left mine in an electric for 24hrs+, with the electric not even hooked up with zero issues. Now if I have other horses im not familiar with, Im at least going to turn it on, or switch them out. 4 horses...2 in 2 out, rotate night and day type. Where I go, a lot of times im hiking from camp for elk, so my stock gets to live like fat asses for most the hunting trip.

agree with what is said above.. just depends on how well you know your stock. Ive left mine in an electric for 24hrs+, with the electric not even hooked up with zero issues. Now if I have other horses im not familiar with, Im at least going to turn it on, or switch them out. 4 horses...2 in 2 out, rotate night and day type. Where I go, a lot of times im hiking from camp for elk, so my stock gets to live like fat asses for most the hunting trip.
That's exactly the style I lead to more, hiking from camp. My two mules are great with electric fence, but also have a buddy who packs in the Bob, uses electric all the time for his horse (leaving mules free most of the time), but has had the occasion when the smell of a grizzly spooked his mare to run through the fence.

So with just 2 horses/mules that you're familiar with, your normal procedure is to still keep them in the electric corral all day while hunting on foot?

Sure would be much nice for them, rather than being tied up the whole time.

Thanks,

s