Elk calibers for western wa

Hyak55171

FNG
What's y'alls go to calibers for the dense timber of wester wa? I've used everything from a 6mm rem to a 458 lott on various North American big game. Thinking I'll probably settle on my 45-70 and 375 for the next few years.

Well in W OR my 270 works, my 280 works, my 30-06 works. My 7mm-08 and 308 do too, as would other cartridges. Have a 358Win and a 444, not seen fit to try them due to the range limitations of both cartridges in my short barreled lever actions. Where I go, we do have clear cuts and draws to shoot across, so a slow 45-70 would be among my last choices. A 375, if an HH, Ruger, or a Weatherby, and not a Win, would work, but that’s a bunch of gun for an elk and me too. Do what ever spins your wheels.

Well in W OR my 270 works, my 280 works, my 30-06 works. My 7mm-08 and 308 do too, as would other cartridges. Have a 358Win and a 444, not seen fit to try them due to the range limitations of both cartridges in my short barreled lever actions. Where I go, we do have clear cuts and draws to shoot across, so a slow 45-70 would be among my last choices. A 375, if an HH, Ruger, or a Weatherby, and not a Win, would work, but that’s a bunch of gun for an elk and me too. Do what ever spins your wheels.
Where i hunted before i moved to alaska (moving back down for a couple years) most of the shots were under 200yds and very rarely over 100. I took my last elk with a 338 and my last 3 caribou with my 375 hh (2 were under 100yds 1 was right at 330yds and very limited bloodshot). I think the 375 would be about perfect (about the same trajectory as a 3006). I'm a fan of larger guns though, big and slow tend to do less meat damage with proper shot placement

Not because I think it's the end all of elk killers but I bet the 220 grain hammer out of your h&h would do the trick...be kind of fun to try somthing different

Not because I think it's the end all of elk killers but I bet the 220 grain hammer out of your h&h would do the trick...be kind of fun to try somthing different
I'm looking at bullets for reloading, usually i use woodleighs but they wont be available for awhile due to the factory burning down. Got a few norma oryx to try too. Might check out the hammer bullets

I'm looking at bullets for reloading, usually i use woodleighs but they wont be available for awhile due to the factory burning down. Got a few norma oryx to try too. Might check out the hammer bullets
If you get desperate I'm sure I have a few 375s I could send your way...accubonds, gamekings, maybe some 280 hammers

If you get desperate I'm sure I have a few 375s I could send your way...accubonds, gamekings, maybe some 280 hammers
No worries here, I've got over 100rds of loaded ammo for it plus plenty of supplies to reload. Debating trying the hornady interlocks or the speer soft point boat tails

Both the 45-70 and 375 will get the job done. I prefer larger bores in denser cover where shot opportunities and angles may be limited. Heavier bullets with more momentum will help deliver on less than ideal angles/placement. I'm partial to a bonded bullet like the accubond. If you find yourself hunting some of the open cuts, the flatter shooting 338 is also a good option.

I'm a fan of bonded bullets myself. Even the deer and elk ive taken in clear cuts, all have been under 200yds

People think you need ICBMs to kill elk. I've killed a pile of elk with 150 class bullets going sub 3000 fps. It's not rocket science, put it in their lungs and they're going down.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

People think you need ICBMs to kill elk. I've killed a pile of elk with 150 class bullets going sub 3000 fps. It's not rocket science, put it in their lungs and they're going down.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
It's not about need, it's about want. I enjoy hunting with larger calibers. I have killed plenty with a 6mm, 7mm and 3006. I just happen to prefer hunting with my big guns because they are fun and i shoot them well. And big slow bullets do less meat damage 🤷‍♂️

I've killed elk with 30-06, 300RUM, 300WM, 6.5x284, 25-06, and have friends who have used .243, .270, .308, 45/70 and everything up to .338 lapua! I personally prefer something along the lines of my 6.5x284. It has plenty of power, very flat, easy shooter and I just hit everything I aim at with that rifle.

If you told me I had to choose one cartridge but we weren't specific about the rifle itself, I'd go 30-06. It's so versatile if you reload, and 115 years later it still hits the sweet spot of shootability and damage.

What's y'alls go to calibers for the dense timber of wester wa? I've used everything from a 6mm rem to a 458 lott on various North American big game. Thinking I'll probably settle on my 45-70 and 375 for the next few years.
Depends if your in timber lands, often you’ll get a 200-450 shot on bedded elk in five year old rw prod.... if native old growth forest service land 45/70 is great! Ya want lots of HP and blood for those late rifle rainy days. To find your elk, even a short blood trail can be tough in 6’ veg and coastal rain

I’m a fan of the 338 Win Mag. The 210gr TTSX at 2900fps makes for a versatile all-around hunting load and you wouldn’t be undergunned for any NA big game. The 250gr Nosler Partition at 2700 fps is a great load as well. My preference is the TTSX because it shoots flatter out to 400 yards, has less recoil, and will end up weighing more than a 250gr Partition after impact.

Back