Elk Draw Trends, By onX Hunt

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like it will always continue to go in this direction of being more difficult to draw tags in the western states. Population in the US continues to rise, and their are only so many states that allow non resident elk hunting. Simple demand and supply. If every state had elk herds it would be a different ball game but that will never happen. It all about the money and always will be. hopefully we never get to the point of what a stag hunt costs - 30 years you never know what these states will charge.

Jyaug12

FNG
Interesting Graph. Curious how things will change if/when we enter into a recession.

fatlander

WKR
So that ad campaign they ran with a dude packing out a bull and the slogan “trusted by millions of elk hunters” wasn’t true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
It either needs to get more expensive or harder to do. Something has to give. Cheap and easy (credit cards and internet) got us here and it doesn’t work anymore. The internet isn’t going anywhere and the douchey influencer whores have already decoded the process for every swinging dyck. The ketchup isn’t going back into the bottle.

I am a non-resident pretty much everywhere, and I still say each state should require you to buy a real, non refundable, non resident license ($4-500) before applying, and you should then have to front the money (no credit cards) for each tag application. None of this cheap sub $100 license and $15 application fee with a credit card stuff!

Wheels

WKR
There should be zero tags issued in a lot of regions this fall.
I agree, but it won't happen. The state game and fish departments have to feed the machine that they have created and will keep selling tags even though 1/2 of the herd is dying or has died this winter.

I've said this before and know it will never happen, but if states went back to paper applications and actual money up front(check or money order), you would eliminate a bunch of people. Adding debt to their credit cards will keep them in the game.
Pretty much why I don’t apply for New Mexico lol… I’m not letting you take my money just in case I happen to draw. Wyoming at least you can build bonus points and when they take your money you should know you’re drawing anyway! I like your thoughts though!

ccg951

FNG
I had the same thoughts on truncating the y-axis, don't like it. That being said, I'm a lifelong Oklahoma archery and upland guy and now with kids out of the house elk hunting is getting all my attention. Regret not jumping in when I lived in CO. as a younger man.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
It either needs to get more expensive or harder to do. Something has to give. Cheap and easy (credit cards and internet) got us here and it doesn’t work anymore. The internet isn’t going anywhere and the douchey influencer whores have already decoded the process for every swinging dyck. The ketchup isn’t going back into the bottle.

I am a non-resident pretty much everywhere, and I still say each state should require you to buy a real, non refundable, non resident license ($4-500) before applying, and you should then have to front the money (no credit cards) for each tag application. None of this cheap sub $100 license and $15 application fee with a credit card stuff!
So u want the European model where only the wealthy are entitled to a resource.

Vs keeping wildlife in the public trust.

Got it.

SDHNTR

WKR
So u want the European model where only the wealthy are entitled to a resource.

Vs keeping wildlife in the public trust.

Got it.
No. Not even close. Your statement is totally ridiculous. No where did I say anything even close to that. Nowhere did I even mention privatizing wildlife.

Just something needs to happen to limit the number of applications. It’s too easy now. You should have to front all of the money to apply. And as a NR, you should have to buy a full fledged license first. That would force most hunters to be selective where they apply and not carpet bomb the West with applications using money (credit cards) they don’t even have.

Interesting Graph. Curious how things will change if/when we enter into a recession.
This right here. I’ve seen similar trend lines with a number of hobbies and discretionary activity. The article said NR apps are up 22.68% 2018-2021, while resident are just up ~9.5%.

That reads to me like pent up demand from lack of travel oops during COVID restrictions and booming economy. With travel back to normal and a cooling economy, bet these numbers plateau.