Elk hunt off a dual sport?

Who's running and gunning off a dual sport bike? Seriously thinking about hunting off one this year once I get to my general area to move around and get to more areas. Plan to use for scouting as well. Seems like I could save quite a bit of money with gas prices this year. Any tip or ideas for carrying equipment bow and gun...etc.

Trr15

WKR
I’ve actually been considering this for a couple years, just haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. I like the idea of not beating the piss out of my diesel as much as anything else.

mtnkid85

WKR
I bought a little TW200 for this reason last year, but never actually rode it. Im thinking just put the bow on my pack and ride with it. Im a little unsure what to do for boots. I usually hunt in trail runners but I don't want to ride a bike in them. So maybe wear riding boots and swap when I park the bike?

OP
awbowhunter
I have a 2500 duramax and running washboarded forest service roads sucks and is a slow process. Its a little better with a camper behind it...but then the camper sucks...lol thinking I can save some gas and the dash from falling out of my truck. The 2500 suspension is NOT made for washboard roads. Looking at either a Honda CRF250L or a Yamaha WR250R. Lightest dual sports i have found so far that would be good on trails, service roads and a little pavement. I specifically want something street legal. Any good recommendations that are not just single track/dirt only bikes?

3a2b4d48aaa35215ed735fd898ae1cb9.jpg

TW200 with the Cycleracks and some Rok Straps do the job.

e0d4145293dde90c005e7ab8e7c8aa9d.jpg

Sometimes things get tight!!

Wassid82

WKR
I've done it off and on for years. There are some really good aspects for sure. There are also some drawbacks. I would make sure you were a moderate to advanced rider before tackling, riding in the dark on tough terrain, loaded with hunting gear or pack out meat, etc. Bikes react differently when under heavy loads with meat and/or gear.......not the same as a summer scouting trip with nothing but binos and a water pack. In ID there are tons of single tracks that can help get you into places of less hunting pressure. pros and cons.

Thess87

WKR
My wife and I got 2 tw200 mainly just to run the forest roads from spot to spot. They worked great but we sold one and we’re just going back to using the 4-wheeler. There was Nigg pros and cons to both but either way there better then beating the truck up.

I bought a little TW200 for this reason last year, but never actually rode it. Im thinking just put the bow on my pack and ride with it. Im a little unsure what to do for boots. I usually hunt in trail runners but I don't want to ride a bike in them. So maybe wear riding boots and swap when I park the bike?
Ride the bike in Kenetreks, or other leather well built boots, then put on trail runners to hunt. We try to hide the bikes and boots and gps them. Then we have good hiking boots in a dry bag if needed to pack meat back to trail. Also learned from a guy from Wolf Point to always pack the lightest most compact running type shoe in the pack when mountain dirt biking. In case of breaking down your not hiking out seven miles in Alpine Stars.

Cubby

WKR
TW200 here too, for the price of those ebikes are going for might as well just buy a TW200 and be done with it

I've done it off and on for years. There are some really good aspects for sure. There are also some drawbacks. I would make sure you were a moderate to advanced rider before tackling....bikes react differently when under heavy loads with meat and/or gear.......not the same as a summer scouting trip with nothing but binos and a water pack.

I can second this. Ive had a klx250s and a ktm 350 xcf-w. Both worked but the ktm was an absolute dream to ride. Loads of power and super smooth. As mentioned the most difficult thing is heavy loads, wet trails, and rocky/gravelly incline.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I ran a tw200 for a few years in north Idaho. I came from moto bikes and couldn't love the short squatty thing. I have a xt225 that's way more my style. Both get silly miles per gallon. I wouldn't beat my truck up when I can get there faster and smoother on two wheels.

jimh406

WKR
I ran a Kawasaki KLR650 for a while. I have to say I could cover a lot of territory quickly without feeling the bumps a lot. Then, one day I was thinking about how long it would take me to walk out of some of the places I was going and/or fix a flat.

For me, it didn't seem worth it to travel by myself on a two wheeler. You can carry gear, but the issue is the more you carry the more top heavy it is which makes you lose some capability.

If you will trailer, you might consider a UTV instead and carry a spare. They can still cover a lot of territory and use a lot less fuel than almost any car/truck.

I wouldn’t go up trails on that in the dark. Even in daylight trails are tough and you can’t pack much on 2 wheels. For that reason I’d go with a quad.

OP
awbowhunter
Thanks for all the information and tips. Any tips or ideas for carrying a gun or bow legally on one in Colorado and Wyoming? If I remember correct even a bow needs to be cased in Montana when traveling. How would you carry a bow or gun and be legal in each of the above states?

sterlryu

FNG
I ran into a guy on a nice Beta scouting in the Idaho backcountry. Seemed like a good setup. Also have seen it around the tree farms in Washington.