Elk recipes?

Uncmikel

FNG
Chili is great. Just substitute elk for beef. We just got an instant pot and I think it does a better job of keeping it moist than the slow cooker does. The pressure seems to help and the flavor of the shoulder I made yesterday was top notch.

I made pozole last night with a really nice cut of elk sirloin. It's from Hank Shaw's Buck, Buck, Moose cookbook. I really liked it. It called for making my own puree from dried guajillo and ancho chilis, which really adds a great level of taste to the dish. I highly recommend topping it all off with thinly sliced red cabbage, radishes, avocado, cilantro, fresh lime, and a bit of sour cream.

My absolute favorite way to make backstrap is steak au poivre. It is an absolute hit with everyone, even those who are not big fans of eating wild game. It's not that hard to make, even though looking at the instructions might seem a bit daunting at first glance.

rootacres

WKR
I have my big green egg I can set up as a smoker and my dad has a true smoker
Ive done a pretty easy recipe on coues and elk backstraps and also on an elk tenderloin. I bought the Traeger Blackened Saskatchewan rub at my local hardware store (it's on amazon for like 10 bucks). I dry rub the outside the meat with a liberal amount of this stuff and stick it in the smoker. Get the internal temps to around 150 degree and you're good to go (usually 200* for a couple hours. depends on size of the cut). I served it with veggies and potatoes. The meat we didn't eat went in the fridge. Pulled it out the next day, sliced it thin and served it on a charcuterie board. It was awesome both ways.

find the rich flavor of prime elk cuts holds up really well to an espresso rub. Give this a whirl and I think you will be happy...

sns2's Espresso Rub

1/4 cup finely ground espresso
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder

Mix in bowl. Coat steaks lightly in extra virgin olive oil. Generously coat in rub. Throw on hot grill and cook to medium rare. Let rest. Enjoy.
I just use the Trader Joe's coffee rub. Get it on Amazon

Elk Pastrami with the sirloin tip roasts...I slice some up for dinner the night it's finished...then I let it cool and slice up the rest and vac pack in 1lb packages for sandwiches.
20191020_180805.jpg

goat73

FNG
Sear a boneless roast, put it in the slow cooker on low overnight covered in a large can of green chili enchilada sauce.