Elopement

Jmort1754

WKR
My girl and I are talking about eloping to get married as we are both older and want to do something different.

We have talked about either mountains or the beach. I like the looks of maybe doing it in the maroon bells, or someplace near sedona. She likes the looks of the orange beach area of Alabama.

What do you guys say? Any other input?

After two years of Covid cancelling our wedding we did more of an elopement. It was actually a heck of a lot more enjoyable. We were on the north shore of Lake Superior. I can’t recommend any location but it was a big money saver vs the traditional wedding (nothing against any traditional weddings.)

We did the full wedding but when I asked my father in law for her hand, he offered to buy me the most expensive ladder at the hardware store Instead of a wedding. He wasn’t joking! Wifey would have nothing to do with that!

We are planning to do the same, when I am done with this round of schooling. Both older, compared to usual age of marriage. No ideas on locations though. Will be a huge money saver and we will just throw a party at a later date. Some people in my family have history of making weddings a PIA, so I am not dealing with them this way.

If you elope, you are saving bank vs a wedding, so spend a bit if you can. I would say beach over mountains but that is personal preference.

Nice thing about the beach is you can pick a time that won’t be super crowded like spring break or right after Xmas. I like the gulf side of FL. orange beach in AL/FL is nice but things get nicer further down toward 30a past Pensacola. The Naples and keys are nice too. Once you price up FL, you may find you can get to the carribien for close to the same $$$. Jamaica and the Bahamas have some pretty reasonable options. Mexico and even Hawaii aren’t bad options, if you want to stay on the west coast.

We did the full wedding but when I asked my father in law for her hand, he offered to buy me the most expensive ladder at the hardware store Instead of a wedding. He wasn’t joking! Wifey would have nothing to do with that!

I know a guy who was offered 10k.

I think it was 10k to Elope, maybe it was to dissappear.
Hmmm

taskswap

WKR
I love the mountains. But you'd have more predictable weather at a beach. Just my 2c.

Crusader

WKR
My daughter got married in March of 2020. Months before when she started the wedding planning, I told her if they wanted to skip the wedding we'd give them in cash what we said we would spend on the wedding but they declined. It was a beautiful wedding and reception and all but I still think a few years down the road they may wish they'd taken the cash and skipped the wedding, when there's kid's college to be saved for, home improvements needed, cars to be bought, etc. But, to each his own!

southLA

WKR
My girl and I are talking about eloping to get married as we are both older and want to do something different.

We have talked about either mountains or the beach. I like the looks of maybe doing it in the maroon bells, or someplace near sedona. She likes the looks of the orange beach area of Alabama.

What do you guys say? Any other input?
Sounds like a great idea for you and the wifey. Think of all the gear you could run with the savings!

After two years of Covid cancelling our wedding we did more of an elopement. It was actually a heck of a lot more enjoyable. We were on the north shore of Lake Superior. I can’t recommend any location but it was a big money saver vs the traditional wedding (nothing against any traditional weddings.)

Ha, we kind of did the same except we didn't wait.

Engaged sept 2020, got cancelled on by Grand Superior Lodge and Larsmont for a December 2020 wedding even though estimated wedding size was only around 35 people. Said eff it and booked a north shore VRBO cabin right next to one of the resorts on the same dates and just had parents, siblings, and two friends each. One of my friends was officiant, one of hers is a photog, and the friends made an awesome prime rib dinner. Had a freakin blast and made money on the wedding.

For the OP, I agree with others. If she's on board with eloping/small wedding, I'd go along with whatever she wants as it probably matters more to her than you.

Last edited:
Ha, we kind of did the same except we didn't wait.

Engaged sept 2020, got cancelled on by grand superior and Larsmont for a December 2020 wedding even though estimated wedding size was only around 35 people. Said eff it and booked a north shore VRBO cabin right next to one of the resorts on the same dates and just had parents, siblings, and two friends each. One of my friends was officiant, one of hers is a photog, and the friends made an awesome prime rib dinner. Had a freakin blast and made money on the wedding.

For the OP, I agree with others. If she's on board with eloping/small wedding, I'd go along with whatever she wants as it probably matters more to her than you.
Similar details with a friend photographer and officiant. We still haven’t gone but all the money we saved by going this route we are headed to Alaska or Hawaii with no worries about funding it.

Tod osier

WKR
My first bit of advice for you. Don't start off by going to a hunting forum to ask for marriage advice.
Second advice weddings are for the women do what ever she wants. It will we ammo for the rest of your marriage. Third puppy love does not last for ever learn to respect her.

I think a key to a great marriage is avoiding the type of women you are talking about here.

My wife and I eloped. Did it on a frozen lake in the mountains, covered in snow, made for awesome pictures. Just family and a couple close friends. After we went to this killer little restaurant for dinner. We wouldnt change a thing. In my opinion huge weddings are a huge waste of money. All in I was at like $2500.