Elopement

svivian

WKR
Got eloped at an Airbnb about a year and a half ago. Best thing ever, was way cheaper and less stressful. We through a big party afterwards at her parents house. We bought kegs and had a food truck come and spent less than $2500 to feed 150 people.

slowelk

WKR
My wife and I got married during Covid, August 2020, we weren't going to let that stop us. We cut the guest list by 80% and had a great time. If we would have had to go through with the event with the original guest list I am sure I would have preferred some type of elopement, but would have wanted my parents there.

Marriage, and the wedding should be about the two of you, and maybe your closest family and friends. These overblown, expensive status-symbol weddings are bullshit IMO.

3forks

WKR
Eloped and had the officiant and photographer meet us at a secluded beach in Kauai.

The whole process took about 30 minutes, then went to dinner.

We’re pretty laid back and so are both our families, but even still, it was a very low pressure event and no one missed the stress and expense of planning a big wedding.

Depends on if you believe marriage is by the government or God, I guess.

We got married in the church and then everyone drove to an Air BnB with a large barn (redone for events) and place to park RVs to party. Filled a canoe with ice and beer and had a wood fired pizza place cater it. We essentially didn't spend any money decorating either place. We wanted something smaller and both have huge families and friend groups in the Midwest so just had it in AK. Had about 100 people. It was great, affordable, and gave several people a reason to come to AK and visit.

Phaseolus

WKR
We went to New Zealand for a month long campervan Honeymoon instead of paying for a wedding. For is it was a much better choice.

“Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die”

As stated above, depends on what you believe as well. Covenant vs. legal exercise at the courthouse.

I’d really figure out what your fiancé wants and let her make the ultimate decision. She may just be going along with you, or she may really want that too.

This ain’t the place for final judgement/decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
Weddings can be awesome parties as long as your not the one paying for it. Just elope and save the cash. A friend of mine tied the knot last summer and it set him back 8K ish if memory serves me right. That’s not included all the money that everyone else pitched in for odds and ends. It was a great time don’t get me wrong, but no way in hell I would spend 4 or 5 figures on a glorified party. Elope and save the cash. My wife and I did and it saved all kinds of headaches. After watching all the stress that a few friends have dealt with, it’s not worth the drama in my opinion.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Whichever one makes her happy. There's no perfect answer.

I paid for our wedding out of my own pocket. Her parents didn't help at all as they lost everything in the housing crash and can't stop blowing their money on stupid crap.

Wife loved the wedding but she did say before it was over that it was so much stress she half wished we had eloped.

I'm pretty convinced that my middle daughter eloped. My wife and I joke about it a lot. I guess as a parent, it takes some stress off of both parties!:ROFLMAO:

Rich M

WKR
Church weddings are over-rated.

My first wedding was 250 people - church wedding. Lasted less than 4 years. She said its not you, its me. She was right.

2nd wedding was outside about 25 folks. Took 15 out to eat afterwards. About 25 yrs ago.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
26.5 years ago...flew to Reno, drove to Tahoe,looked up a preacher in the yellow pages, got married that night, flew to Mazatlan the next day for a week. We still agree we wouldnt of done it any other way!

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
We are planning to do the same, when I am done with this round of schooling. Both older, compared to usual age of marriage. No ideas on locations though. Will be a huge money saver and we will just throw a party at a later date. Some people in my family have history of making weddings a PIA, so I am not dealing with them this way.
We will do party after as well. Weddings I feel are a one day money pit.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Thank you guys.
As far as coming here for advice. Some of the people here have been married for a long long time and some haven't, some have never been married and some are miserable or divorced. To me this isn't just a hunting forum, these guys and gals offer great advice at times.

She likes the looks of the orange beach area of Alabama.
Sounds like you're going to eloping in the Orange Beach area of Alabama 😂

My in laws paid for the dress and about a third of the wedding. I picked up the other 2/3 and the bar tab. We only had about 50 people because that's all that was allowed for a gathering at the time of covid. Looking back and the amount of money wife and I both wish we would have just spent the money eloping/vacation and an awesome honeymoon.

Eloping is definitely the way go.

Had some friends travel to elope in Banff, Alberta. Absolutely gorgeous. They went from cold mountains for the short ceremony and a few days exploring in the mountains to honeymoon at an all inclusive in Jamaica. Best of both worlds. Way to go in my opinion.

Congratulations and good luck to you.