exo mountain pack

I have the Kifaru Bikini Frame with a Timberline 2 Bag, I have not had any issues with the Load lifters slipping. I have had the bag for one year using for a day pack with many many miles, and as a heavy hauler with no issues. The only issues I am having with the pack is I am getting hot spots on my lats from the two narrow pads

With that said, I ordered the Exo 3500 on Monday I cant wait for it to get here to see how it feels, both as a day pack and a heavy hauler

For those that have used this pack how is the ventilation/breathability between the frame and your back? I am interested in this pack but breathability is huge for me. With some packs I feel like my back is on fire.

There are only 2 contact points with this pack. The belt and shoulder harness. The complete middle of your back is wide open. I can reach back and pass my hand and wrist to the other side. Lots of room for air to move. Obviously where it contacted my back shoulder portion and the belt were sweaty. But then again it has been 100* here and 10000000% humidity!!

Just wondering if there happens to be an exo in the east Kootenays in BC, in southern Alberta, or northern Montana (Eureka to Kalispell area). Curiosity has gotten to me. I'd love to handle one for a day just to scratch the itch and compare to my bikini. A couple of buddies are looking at new packs and I mentioned it as an option to research, but internet testing only gets you so far.

Just wondering if there happens to be an exo in the east Kootenays in BC, in southern Alberta, or northern Montana (Eureka to Kalispell area). Curiosity has gotten to me. I'd love to handle one for a day just to scratch the itch and compare to my bikini. A couple of buddies are looking at new packs and I mentioned it as an option to research, but internet testing only gets you so far.

I am interested in them as well and would like to see one to see if its what Im after. Maybe have to check with a couple guides to see if any of there hunters may be bringing one up.

Overall quality is EXCELLENT. Every bit On par with Kifaru which I have owned over a dozen. Breathability is VERY good. EVERY single strap had a velco loop to roll up excess strap length. Small but nice addition. Overall pack feels very light but extremely well constructed. I did load up 50lbs and took the dog for a 4 mile walk with pack on.

SUSPENSION: Took no more than a minute to adjust torso correctly. Very effective simple system. Padding is not as "dense" as Kifaru but I dont see it being any issue. Load lifters work great. Upper delta strap same as Kifaru. No lower but see no need for one. Frame provides superb vertical stiffness. However, it gives a little left to right flexability wise which I actually really like. Very comfortable as I feel it moves with me. I do not feel like I am strapped to a board. Lumbar pad is not as big as the Duplex but I think it is perfect size. It is made of a NO-SLIP material which works well. Just one note on belt. I am a size large with this Exo. The Exo large is about a Kifaru Medium. Maybe a HAIR bigger but definately smaller than Kifaru Large.

Only thing I would change which I talked about to Steve is the POWER PULLS. Ever since they came out there was always any issue of them not "staying tight and potential slipping". This pack is no different. What Kifaru did was simply add an extra loop to the power pull. It makes it ROCK solid. whereever you pull the belt is where it stays. ZERO chance of slipping. It is a $.50 addition that make a world of difference.

3500 Pack Bag: Absolutely superb quality. If you are a plain jane duffle bag on a frame person, this pack is not for you. If you want great features and organization, look no further. I absolutely LOVE the features of this pack. A shit load of thought went into this pack. From the side zipper access, lots of storage, reverse lid, excellent compression it seems to have it all. I know some made comments about the stretchable pockets not for them. I however like them. I will definitely be shoving rain gear or hat or anything else I will need quick access to in them. Side pockets will swallow up a lot of gear. Main bag has plenty of room plus it has a snow collar. Bag also has ladder webbing on front which will work for my Kifaru Pods if extra space is needed. Overall I am super happy with my purchase. Quality and features vs cost? This pack is in its own league.

-Jim

Jim pretty much summed it up for me as well. I took it out on a five mile hike with 50 lbs and it handled superb for me. Ventilation was great. Like others have already posted so far my back had plenty of ventilation. I cannot compare it to a Kifaru because I have never owned one. I for one really like the lumbar pad but again I really have not had anything in the past to compare that to. Steve and the gang really put alot of thought and effort into this pack and when you get it in hand you will see the quality. For me this pack is pretty much the end all for me. I will be using my 1000 cu in Talon from Paradox in conjunction with this so as far as room I will not need anything bigger. I got mine in the CB and I love the color. I looked this pack up and down and the stitching/build is impeccable.

Question for all you lucky guys with new Exo's. I'm wondering how carefully you need to pack this pack to avoid things poking into you, being lopsided, lumpy, or otherwise awkward. I'm extremely sensitive to any sort of barreling, off-kilterness, etc., and don't do well with packs that you have to "carefully" pack. From what I've seen of the frame, I would tend to think that this may be a problem, especially if you throw an elk quarter in the load sling...any thoughts?

Has anyone used the 3500 bag on a kifaru frame? Or tried it... Would the 3500 fit on a bikini or duplex frame. I am liking the pack bag but have two kifaru frames. The price is good for just a bag and I that way I wouldnt have to add a third frame to the stable.

I have a Bikini/Highcamp 4800 that is a wonderful pack, love the simplicity of it. Haven't had any issues with load lifters coming loose, and the straps are right between my earlobe & trap, so don't have any issue finding them to snug, either. Have a 7000 HC coming, to swap out for later season extended hunts where more room would be advantageous.
I was commenting in the "MiniEMR" thread a while back, kickin' ideas around, as I wouldn't mind seeing a more modular 'smallish' bag to hang on the Bikini. All the while, I never even knew about this new Exo pack being on the market, what a dumbazz! It's not exactly what I was envisioning for a "miniEMR", but sorta close. Looks to be very well thought out & the price seems to fill a niche. Ordered one and look forward to give it an honest assessment...

My plan all along has been to hold off on buying this pack as I believe Steve and Lenny, however subtle, will tweak and better this frame and bag by next summer. However, after playing with this pack in person at the Mountain Challenge and reading everyone' reviews, I am so close to pulling the trigger. I tend to purchase big ticket items that will get me by for several years rather than trade out every other year. Therefore, I have been waiting to be wowed by a pack on the market that "checks all of my boxes" and I believe this pack is it. I have to remind myself, this pack blows my BL 2200 out of the water.

For those of you with the pack, can you please post a pic or two of the pack as you would pack a euro mount with the top lid? Curious if with meat on the frame and day hunt gear in the bag, how the reverse lid would function? Also, if the bag was full of gear and snow collar extended, does the lid still cover enough of the opening to keep rain/snow out of the interior? Hope these questions make sense. Thanks and keep the pics coming. Leaning towards the Foliage, as I hear it is even better looking in person.

Good questions.

I haven't put a Euro mount on so can't speak to that but I did load the pack completely to see just how full I could get the snow collar before I couldn't get the reverse lid over. Essentially, there is a point where the draw string lightly clinches and the lid will not close, but it's a pretty small window. If the snow collar is even 1/3 clinched up, the lid will completely cover it. Attached is a pic of the snow collar lightly clinched, and you can see how the lid fits. Your gear would be close to spilling out the top to have this issue.
uploadfromtaptalk1405207006027.jpg

I can understand wanting to not be a guinea pig as I'm typically the same way. That said, once I saw the pack it was immediately clear to me that they did not cut corners on this product, and clearly put a lot of design thought into the finished product. Truthfully, even if they tweak it down the road I'll be very pleased with the pack that I purchased. As you stated, it is as close to checking all of the boxes for me as anything on the market, to my knowledge. I'm very well satisfied with it as it is.

Thank you for your input and the picture. That answers one of my questions. Hopefully, any changes they make to the frame or the bag, will be compatible with each other for future versions. I hope Steve and Lenny have been paying attention to the complaints from Kuiu pack owners about the constant changing of packs and inability to blend old with the new from year to year. Either way, I think I would be more than satisfied with the current generation of the Exo for many seasons to come, regardless of future changes.

If anyone has pictures of their Foliage bags, post 'em up! We've seen a lot of the pack loaded to capacity and with the load sling in effect- how about with just day hunt gear, different ways to attach your cape using the lid and different compressions straps, how the pack colors look next to your camo and/or natural surroundings.

I can understand wanting to not be a guinea pig as I'm typically the same way. That said, once I saw the pack it was immediately clear to me that they did not cut corners on this product, and clearly put a lot of design thought into the finished product. Truthfully, even if they tweak it down the road I'll be very pleased with the pack that I purchased. As you stated, it is as close to checking all of the boxes for me as anything on the market, to my knowledge. I'm very well satisfied with it as it is.

My exact feelings to a tee. First time I saw this product something drew me in. Now having pack in hand, my hunch could not have been better.

My exact feelings to a tee. First time I saw this product something drew me in. Now having pack in hand, my hunch could not have been better.

Kinda the way I felt. AND made in America and made local (for me). Mine is scheduled to be delivered sometime around the first of August and when I called Steve, he said, "I'll just bring it up on my way to go goat scouting." It don't get much better than that.

Randy

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Did a quick overnighter with it and finally got it adjusted right. Plenty of room for everything. Hanging the bladder in a side pocket is the perfect place for it.

View attachment 17202View attachment 17204View attachment 17205View attachment 17203I did about 7 miles chasing goats today, glad i had a comfortable pack, it did great, legs not so much, almost got to load it up with meat and a real head but no cigar. I also was wondering about running my bladder in the side pocket but had it in the main bag, ill try the side on my next hike. When walking in a cross wind i could feel the air going across my back, great ventilation, also love the top pocket, was easy to access with my bow strapped on with the two compression straps, zipper is in the perfect spot. The side pocket fit my camcorder perfect, it got a little harder to open with a slight buldge but still easier than anything else ive had. Forgot i had my cheap Nikon tripod strapped on, had it in the side pocket but it was faster to just strap it on the side, my Vortex 50mm spotter was in the main stretch pocket and was easy to get in and out, stretchy material wasnt what i was expecting, its pretty heavy duty. Added a few pics for you guys waiting, i know how you feel : )

Buster if it helps I will be in Fernie next month probably the 2nd week of August for a fly fishing trip. If you still haven't gotten your hands on an Exo by then and if it would work out for you let me know and I'll bring my pack with me for you to check out.

Buster if it helps I will be in Fernie next month probably the 2nd week of August for a fly fishing trip. If you still haven't gotten your hands on an Exo by then and if it would work out for you let me know and I'll bring my pack with me for you to check out.

That would be fantastic. Don't feel obligated to pack it if it isn't already on your gear list. If it does make the trip though, I'll find some time to make it down to Fernie.

Asked above about barreling. Zero barreling with this pack and frame. On of the main factor's of my purchase. Also someone above mentioned the top lid fully covering when the snow collar is completely extended. This is the ONLY ISSUE I have found. My feeling is they need to make the lid on straps so it can be extended to cover a huge load. Not a deal killer for me at all as I absolutely love the pack. Just something that should be addressed on a further run.

Last edited:
Back