exo mountain pack

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Was thinking it would be nice if the top pocket was removable, maybe on adjustable straps, like you mentioned, where it attaches or something , then have attachements on the frame so you could just use the frame and pocket if you wanted for some reason. Just a thought, may have been mentioned before.

Asked above about barreling. Zero barreling with this s pack and frame. On of the main factor's of my purchase. Also something he above mentioned the top lid fully covering when the snow collar is completely extended. This is the ONLY ISSUE I have found. My feeling is they need to make the lid on straps so it can be extended to cover a huge load. Not a deal killer for me at all as I absolutely love the pack. Just something that should be addressed on a further run.

eltaco

WKR
I actually like the reverse lid as it is. I cab load it up and it doesn't get floppy. I guess I never used my kifaru lid to cinche gear down to the top of the pack, but I can see where this one will hinder you if you plan to use it that way with your bag at max capacity.

The 5500 lid is adjustable for those who want more space and the ability to load more on top of the bag. Looks like a really nice pack, but I've not yet seen it in person.

Buster

WKR
Asked above about barreling. Zero barreling with this s pack and frame. On of the main factor's of my purchase. Also something he above mentioned the top lid fully covering when the snow collar is completely extended. This is the ONLY ISSUE I have found. My feeling is they need to make the lid on straps so it can be extended to cover a huge load. Not a deal killer for me at all as I absolutely love the pack. Just something that should be addressed on a further run.

Would it be hard to modify it to add straps and make it removable?

I too like the lid. However if someone did have a large load fully extending the snow collar it would not come up and over the load completely.
Maybe it could be cut and have buckles and straps installed. Not by myself as I don't have any sewing skills.

Last edited:

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Think it would be tough to modify, not impossible but a lot of sewing involved. I first thought it was only attached by two points but its sewn all the way across i think on the same seam as the main bag and snow collar. I like to modify stuff but would have a hard time taking the knife to this one.

arthurvino

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine today. Mod #1: added bungee cord to the front. How do you Guys and gals adjust shoulder straps? Mine are traveling up and down the . Where is the best spot for back to hit the padding?

Last edited:
Wherever the strap will fully wrap your shoulder and not lift off when you shrug your shoulders with some weight in the pack. Do not have the load lifters tightened at all when setting the torso length.

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
How does everyone like the Exo hipbelt pouches? They seem like they have a more rigid structure to them that might help in zipping open/closing. I kind of like the Mystery Ranch pouches, does anyone have first hand preference between the two?

arthurvino

Lil-Rokslider
They are small but spacious and won't get in the way when u walk. Production ones don't have external mesh pocket as shown on exo Facebook demo. One handed operation works - yes to rigid. I like them. No experiences with mr

Last edited:

Bmcox86

WKR
The EXO pouch is top notch in my book. One handed operation and fits the iphone perfect. If you forget to zip it up it won't fall out either

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
I had just sent Exo a fb message asking about pouch specs and availability- they said ALL accessories should be up on the website sometime next week. For those that care, the pouches measure 6x4x1.75 and weight 2.6 oz.

SUshaye

FNG
I decided I needed to pull the trigger, I NEED this pack. Best to order off thier website or call in?

chenashot

FNG
I decided I needed to pull the trigger, I NEED this pack. Best to order off thier website or call in?

Nice! Of course you NEED it. There can be no other explanation!

As far as ordering it, either way is great. These guys are in top of it man. I ordered my 5500 off of the website back in May. Today was supposed to be the day that the $5500's were going to start rolling out the door but I haven't yet received a tracking number. It's killing me man! I hope it gets in VERY soon because I am planning on using it at the Train to Hunt Finals on August 2nd and 3rd. That is fast approaching!

Nate

FNG
I got my pack today, and it is everything I expected it to be. Steve with Exo Mountain has been excellent customer service, second to none. Can't wait to get it into the High country and test it out.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
I just finished a week of pack testing/training. I took a 40# bag of pellets for a several mile hike each morning using a different pack. Kifaru bikini, duplex, late season, and the exo 3500. My top two in comfort in that weight range were kifaru bikini and the exo 3500. I am pleased with this pack and feel it can hang with the top pack manufacturers in the industry.

MattB

WKR
Hammer, interesting thoughts & findings! We had two of the 4000" Bikini frame packs & neither are as large as the Exo 3500. You cannot put an elk hindquarter in the Kifaru bag but you can in the Exo if so desired. Too, on the load lifter straps the Kifaru is very tough to get to for either pulling or release. I also found that the load lifter straps would not maintain their tightness at all, they constantly slipped & have to be pulled to tighten every few hundred yards to 1/4 mile depending on load carried. They were fine in day pack mode with under 20# in them. I am still awaiting for the Exo so cannot compare the two in that department but do like the features of it better, time will tell. (grin)

ElkNut1

Is there any chance you have the webbing threaded incorrectly through the ladder locks on the load lifters? That would account for both issues you are having. The Kifaru load lifters should be really easy to access, as the webbing hangs down over your chest and just requires a reach up to mid-chest height and give a little downward tug to tighten. To loosen, you just push up on the bottom of the ladder locks, which should be at shoulder height on the shoulder strap.

dotman

WKR
Is there any chance you have the webbing threaded incorrectly through the ladder locks on the load lifters? That would account for both issues you are having. The Kifaru load lifters should be really easy to access, as the webbing hangs down over your chest and just requires a reach up to mid-chest height and give a little downward tug to tighten. To loosen, you just push up on the bottom of the ladder locks, which should be at shoulder height on the shoulder strap.

Not too sound rude but it does sound like user error. Also the DT3 is not a bone in pack at all, he probably should of moved up to the DT2 as it is closer to the EXO 3500 in size I would assume. When you take into account the side slot pockets and back zippered pockets are included in the DT2 ci size and the side pockets of the EXO are not included.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from a 8 mile hike (make that scramble) with 30 pounds in it. Pack worked awesome! I did make a little adjustment on the trail but this thing carries really nice with a light 3-4 day hunt weight. Will pack my full elk camp weight and see how it feels with it but I don't see an extra 12 lbs changing how it carries. I also like the hip pouch. Way better than the kuiu pouch.