Fairbanks Meat Care for Flight Home

Lrs183

FNG
Hello,

I've been planning a trip to hunt the haul road for 2022 for a while now. However, a lingering question I have for logistics is meat prep for a flight home. I've read a lot about people struggling to get any room for freezing at businesses.

The general rule is meat must be frozen for at least 24 hours prior to the flight, correct? Obviously you'd need to plan accordingly to give yourself enough time in Fairbanks for this to happen. With that said, any recommendations in this area of planning? Reputable businesses that tend to have a trend of room available?

Thank you!

smith3442

FNG
We just did the haul road. Had a blast. Been a dream for a long time. Not sure I'll ever be back as there are so many awesome adventures to do, but this was totally worth it. We boned animals out in the field and kept meat in cooler with ice. It was cold enough that most kept meat hanging in game bags under a tarp to keep rain and birds off. In Fairbanks most places are chill. buy a folding table and clean/sort the meat in the back of the hotel parking lot. I put mine into gallon zip lock bags and kept cold, but not frozen as I wanted to grind and wrap steaks at my house. Removed ice right before left for airport and dried with paper towels so Cooler was clean and dry inside and out, just bags of cold meat on the inside. I was going to put 5 lbs of dry ice to help keep cold on flight, but I didn't and meat was still cold when we arrived at home and finished processing it. Airline (alaska) accepted no problem. Did the same on Arizona hunt and also went great with Delta.

OP
Lrs183

Lrs183

FNG
Thank you to both of you! It is great knowing I have an alternative in case of an emergency. I figured an airline would throw a fit over that. Think it has been luck or they just don't mind? I would love to hear about your hunt. I'm not sure I have the ability to private message on here just yet but I would be even be willing to call text or email. If you're willing to talk about it more of course.

Larry, thank you! In your experience, does he tend to fill up a lot or does he usually have room?

OP
Lrs183

Lrs183

FNG
Thank you! Sorry for the delay. I've always been under the impression meat had to be frozen, so this is new territory for me. I'll have to call the airline to get further clarification as an emergency backup.

EPS

FNG
If you register as a "known shipper" with Alaska Air cargo, they actually have freezers at the airport and will freeze/keep it frozen before flying.

OP
Lrs183

Lrs183

FNG
Thank you!

I see there's an application process with it. How lengthy is this process and does it have an annual cost? Do you have to let them know ahead that you'll be shipping and pay for it regardless of success? Or can you just show up with it and hand it over?

JT113

FNG
The know shipper process requires a visit from a contracted official to verify your address. They actually come to your home. This is the part of the process that requires payment. I think it depends on travel distance between the officials location and your home. I believe I was charged about $250. I believe they require this verification annually. I can’t remember if there was any other fees, I didn’t think there was. As far as how long the process takes, it’s dependent on how quickly a official is available and can get to you residence. AA and their contractor helps you through all of the requirements. It’s really quite easy. As far as shipping, I have just show up at the cargo office with the goods, made payment and left it for them to ship.

EPS

FNG
So the application process was easy, as an individual there is a "site inspection" where they come and verify your address for a fee (mine was about $100) individual apps have to be renewed every year. I did mine as a business and there was no fee or renewals.

Ono

FNG
There are certain hotels in Fairbanks with ground floor outdoor access and full size fridges with freezers in the suite....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Lrs183

Lrs183

FNG
Is this inspection fee cost something they will quote you up front in the application process? It'd be nice to know that so you can know ahead of time if it's worth going through the process or not.

I also really like the in room freezer! Assuming it's big enough for meat, cape, and antlers/skull. Would be a pretty big freezer.

Ono

FNG
Is this inspection fee cost something they will quote you up front in the application process? It'd be nice to know that so you can know ahead of time if it's worth going through the process or not.

I also really like the in room freezer! Assuming it's big enough for meat, cape, and antlers/skull. Would be a pretty big freezer.
I paid $150 for site inspection. Alaska air charges $100 for bag 3 and up as long as they are under 100 lbs. We flew back last week with 6 and 5 checked bags each. His luggage included the entire hide, rack with head, 1 fish box, 1 cooler, rifle case, duffel. That was his entire bull. We brought it all. That bill was $440 for luggage. So look at the shipping calculator and determine the cost effectiveness. A fish box with 60 lbs Going from ANC to where I live is $68. $32 dollar savings. The math might not work out in your favor.

When we flew out of Fairbanks, we left 4 racks outside the room,it was cool enough. We also were able to borrow a grinder and vacuum packer (pic is a Fairbanks suite). That is 4 processed animals. We each flew out with ~ 100 lbs of meat+cooler each.

This time we left the racks in the rental. Sketch town ANC. We rotated hides between the freezer and fridge. Once one was solid we swapped them. We deboned and and packed meat in ziplocs and rotated.
121d3ce8a28f396898f05d6dccc41b28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Lrs183

Lrs183

FNG
That is a great breakdown and I really appreciate you doing that. I reached out to the quoting department for the air cargo and the lady who does the actual quoting is only in Monday through Friday. With my proximity being so close to Indianapolis Indiana I am hoping I land on the lower end of the spectrum for a quote on the fee.

I think realistically for me the beauty of the Air cargo over standard luggage is the fact that I can count on being able to use their freezers. So I will be able to offload the caribou while I still have my rental truck. I have to return the rental truck before my flight so my concern is if I call for a cab, if their vehicle is not large enough I am looking at a fortune in cab fees alone with multiple trips to and from the airport with luggage. Plus having to figure out meat care in the interim.

So even if there are cargo is a break even or even possibly slightly more expensive, I think with all other things considered I stand the chance of actually coming out ahead still. For the Peace of mind along with other hidden costs.

OP
Lrs183

Lrs183

FNG
If you need a known shipper #, text or email me. bypass the nonsense.
What do you mean by this exactly? I'm still a little foreign to what you're alluding to with that. I am still working towards being able to message but I'm hoping to be able to soon. I should be at the criteria requirement by now.

Hunters (or regular people) may use another person's known shipper number to facilitate the shipment. I provide my groups with a simple letter authorizing their use of my Agreement.
Pretty awesome of you to offer this to a (I’m assuming) non-client. Hats off to you, sir.