Favorite National Park

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
The Grand Canyon thread got me wondering, what is everyone’s favorite national park they’ve been to?

Any particular hike/trail that puts its at the top of your list, a story that brings back memories, something unique to the park?

This is very subjective as we all like different things. I think I have only been to 21 parks and my favorites are Glacier and Mt Rainier. This is mostly due to the hiking trails and I love the settings and geography of these. I have loved my visits to the red rock parks of Utah too but I really like the traditional mountain setting.

A few on my list that I know I will live are Acadia, Great Smokey Mountains, North Cascades and Olympic.

Last edited:
Of those I've visited (Arches, Big Bend, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Denali, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Guadalupe Mountains, Mesa Verde, Zion), I would rank Zion as my favorite. Hiking to Angels Landing and hiking up the Narrows in dry suits were my favorites at Zion.FB_IMG_1699371024619.jpgFB_IMG_1699370993943.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't been to a ton, but loved Yellowstone. Went duting covid and floods, so it was comparatively devoid of people. Was thinking of returning next summer, but worried the crowds might take away from the experience, so checking on Glacier right now. Interested to see the responses.

CorbLand

WKR
Haven't been to a ton, but loved Yellowstone. Went duting covid and floods, so it was comparatively devoid of people. Was thinking of returning next summer, but worried the crowds might take away from the experience, so checking on Glacier right now. Interested to see the responses.
Glacier is generally packed as well. The earlier or later you can go to Yellowstone, the better. We went during peak tourist season this year and if you get up early, you will have the park to yourself until about 9-10.

CorbLand

WKR
Haven’t been to a ton of parks but Yellowstone is my favorite. We are hopefully going to do Zion or Grand Canyon this year.

Family has a cabin outside of Yellowstone so I have been a ton. Hiking to the top of mount Washburn is really cool.

I don't know if I'd call it my favorite... But Joshua Tree was the one that exceeded expectations the most.

I knew Yosemite/Glaicer/Grand Teton/Sequoia/Yellowstone/Grand Canyon would be grand and expansive.

But Joshua Tree was almost like being in a different world.

Also, as a side note. We plan trips to the "big" national parks away from peak season if possible. So much better experience.

wyogoat

WKR
Surprised no one has mentioned Rocky Mountain NP.
I’m probably partial to it because of proximity but lots to do…climbing, camping and the backcountry fishing is pretty amazing.
The crowds have made it insane the past few years but you can generally get away from most of that.

Attachments

• IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 51

elkguide

WKR
Proposed to my wife in Yellowstone so great memories there. Would have to put Glacier at the top with Rocky Mountain and the Arches in a tie for second.

gbflyer

WKR
I live in a gateway community for an NP. Unfortunately ours is a giant private reserve for research and cruise ship passengers. Most unwelcoming otherwise. So my most favorite part of that is seeing it in the rear view.

The coolest park I’ve been to is Mesa Verde NP. Actual for real access so you get to see and do stuff and visitor satisfaction is important to them.

MNGrouser

FNG
I haven't been to many national parks. Like Theodore Roosevelt but probably just because it means I'm in the neighborhood of the ranch we hunt in Montana. I've canoed the length of the St. Croix National Scenic Waterway a few times. Good experience.
My favorite would probably be Voyageurs National Park. The only completely water based park and right in my backyard.

I've only been to a handful of national parks; Smokies, Acadia, Mammoth Cave, Mt. Rainer.
Out of those I would say Mt Rainer has been my favorite. Like MuleyFever mentioned, the hiking trails and geography there are awesome.

Attachments

• received_2031033303900683.jpeg
    received_2031033303900683.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 47

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I did grand canyon, big bend and Glen canyon/ lake powell a couple years ago. All were awesome but big bend was my favorite, that view...

Wrench

WKR
I'd never do Yellowstone again....traffic hell. We'd leave at 4 or 5 in the morning and by 7am it was a mess.Screenshot_20231107-084022_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20231107-084006_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20231107-083946_Photos.jpg