Favorite National Park

They really need to go to a reservation system and limit entry now. U.S. citizens take priority and if you've been recently, you move down the list. They do reservations and quotas in the Boundary Waters.

For the sake of public enjoyment and solitude they need to quit chasing dollars. It has become much like hunting in Wyoming. It's a stinking zoo!
I will deal with the crowds over a reservation system any day of the week, month or year.

Grand Teton was incredible. Yellowstone was a bit overwhelming in the summer…

Denali is up there too.

Glacier

We’ve been 3 times and hiked all the big name trails. Highline trail, Iceberg Lake, Pitamakan/Dawson pass, and Piegan Pass over to Many Glacier we’re our favorites. Trail was closed near the end on our trip to Grinnell glacier, but that one is up there as well. I’d go every year, but so many other beautiful places to hike.

Last trip we spent a night in Waterton Lakes (Canadian Park) which was only an hour from Many Glacier. We did the Crypt a lake trail and I must say that was the coolest hike I’ve done. Up 2500 feet or so and through a cave before you come to a beautiful lake that staddles the US/Canadian border. It was great.

We’ve done Banff and Jasper in Canada as well, both very nice. Crowds are relentless though. The road system up there is fantastic, making it possible for constant tour bus activity up and down the Icefield Parkway. Jasper was much less crowded and we enjoyed it more. Edith Cavell glacier/meadows hike was a highlight on that trip. Hiking up to the tea houses at Lake Louise was a cool experience too.

Favorite park is Zion. I have been there twice during the off season so I haven't had to deal with the shuttles or the crowds. I am sure my opinion would change if I couldn't drive my own vehicle or had to deal with the crowds of summer.

Redwoods national park would probably be my second favorite with Death Valley ranking high as well. Yellowstone is my least favorite at this point.

Mesa Verde, Arches, Bryce.
Canada: Jasper, Banff

Mesa Verde One of the most unique parks I've ever seen.. Near Durango, which is fun too. Then drive to Moab, Canyonlands, Arches.
These desert parks are really fragile, so please stay on the trails. Last few years the mobs have pummelled some of the fragile plants. They grow on a lifecycle of decades.

Arches, go to Moab airport and rent an airplane. You will see Arches from angles that are just mindblowing. Also I had the pilot fly into the canyons and saw 900 year old ruins that were 1000 fet off the bottom of the canyon. Can't fly into the park, but that's not a problem, as these things (ruins, arches, etc) are outside the park too.

I still love Yellowstone and Glacier though.
Any park: If you want to avoid the hordes do the dawn/dusk thing just like hunting. Tourists don't get active until about 9AM. Also if you want to be alone, go more than a mile from pavement.

Sometimes I like to be in the crowds though, I've seen tourists do stuff that has me convinced I'm going to get viral video of some Darwin reject going over the head of a bison. Kinda hoping to see some natural selection at work.:devilish:

Zion and Glacier are top of the list…Rainier, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Joshua Tree are all up there. Smokies/Blue Ridge are underestimated. Craters of the Moon and the Arches are on my hit list along with most of the SW.

Need to get out to more, but outside of everything in Utah and Colorado, Shenandoah is terrific. Lots of black bears, great views, and beautiful country surrounding.

Until you actually do. And are stuck for 4 hours driving a oneway road that’s only 12 miles long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have dealt with it many times.

I would way rather be able to go when I want and deal with crowds versus being able to go when I am lucky enough to get a reservation.

I have dealt with it many times.

I would way rather be able to go when I want and deal with crowds versus being able to go when I am lucky enough to get a reservation.

I’ve never had a problem obtaining a reservation. Planning ahead isn’t that difficult.

I’ve never had a problem obtaining a reservation. Planning ahead isn’t that difficult.

Nope planning ahead isnt hard, but I have gone to Yellowstone at the drop of a hat would rather keep that ability.

If getting a reservation wouldnt be that hard, then it wouldnt solve the crowding issue and wouldnt solve the problem. The only thing reservation system would do is limit the number of people that can go and if there are more people that want to go then not, well its going to make it harder.

The crowding issue is not new. Its been this way the entire time I have been going to Yellowstone, which is 30 years. Go during not peak season or get up early. Last time I was there we hit the West gate at 6AM and drove to Lamar through Mammoth. I would bet we passed 20 cars in that stretch.

Living in Montana Yellowstone and Glacier with a huge caveat nowadays. Yellowstone only gets visited from January-April- period. Glacier only gets visited when I have a long day hike in mind- arrive before 6:00 AM.

I miss the days when we could go to Yellowstone or Glacier in September and only see Montana (and Wyoming plates in Yellowstone)- that was 40+ years ago :(

Probably Teton and then Bryce canyon. I wanted to like Zion but its like Disney World crowded there

Nope planning ahead isnt hard, but I have gone to Yellowstone at the drop of a hat would rather keep that ability.

If getting a reservation wouldnt be that hard, then it wouldnt solve the crowding issue and wouldnt solve the problem. The only thing reservation system would do is limit the number of people that can go and if there are more people that want to go then not, well its going to make it harder.

The crowding issue is not new. Its been this way the entire time I have been going to Yellowstone, which is 30 years. Go during not peak season or get up early. Last time I was there we hit the West gate at 6AM and drove to Lamar through Mammoth. I would bet we passed 20 cars in that stretch.

Hmm. Sounds like elk hunting in Colorado.

It’s not going to change for the better.

Hmm. Sounds like elk hunting in Colorado.

It’s not going to change for the better.

Thats my point...I dont want my ability to go to a National Park to become like hunting is. I dont want to wait 20 years to go to Yellowstone.

Like hunting, I will deal with more people to have a tag in my pocket.

Not a full on National Park, but the Adironacks in upstate NY have always been a personal fave of mine to visit, just for a little different take here in the convo.

Only ever been to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. Although I did the exact same trip with my daughters as my folks did with me and my brother. It was great, although way too many people now days. Much less when I was a kid, at least that's how I remember it.

Back