Fierce Firearms Disaster

Long read but could save you some money and headache.

A few years ago we placed an order through a local Fierce distributor for 4 rifles. A Fury in 28 Nosler, a Fury in .300wm, a Carbon Fury in 6.5 PRC, and a Carbon Edge in .300 PRC. Out of those rifles the Carbon Edge was the only one to shoot well and show up as advertised.

The 28 Nosler. After the second shot through the gun, with factory ammo stated by Fierce to shoot awesome, the bolt locked up and we had to ship it back to Fierce to get it open. They sent the rifle back with a clean bill of health. On arrival we noticed that every time we opened the bolt the firing pin would disengage once we closed it. Back to Fierce it goes. Gun comes back with another clean bill of health. This time we get to the range and after 5 shots the bolt won’t open again. We take a rubber mallet to it and get it open. We get it zeroed and take it out to distance. Call Fierce and they mail us out custom ammo that will 100% work. On the first elk hunt with the gun my buddy misses a 6x6 bull and goes to open the bolt and it’s stuck again. He had to take a rock to it to get it open. That is a very condensed version as start to finish took almost 8 months to get to my buddy hunting with it and having it fail yet again. They sent him an upgraded rifle after a year of back and forth. He sold it and now owns a Seekins that is his favorite gun.

The Carbon Fury showed up 12 ounces over weight. I sent it back and they said they would upgrade me to a different rifle that would meet my requirements for a small up charge. Never actually received that rifle because after what happens next I cancel the order and never saw my money for two years.

The Fury in .300wm. This is where it gets really good. Took the gun to sight it in. The gun had a 5 port muzzlebrake on it and after the first shot I told my buddy that it kicked so hard I was actually nervous to shoot it again. Don’t consider my self to be a b**ch but it freaking rocked me. Lucky for me the bolt wouldn’t open. Back to Fierce. They test fire it 3 times and send a video of them doing so. Back to me w/clean bill a health. I go to sight it in and I can’t get it to hit paper. I take the scope/rings off and start from scratch with mounting process. Shot it at 50 yards and it hit’s bullseye. Back out to 100. First shot nothing. Second, barely hits the edge of the target. Third shot, opposite side of target and the hole looked off through the scope. Get to target and the bullet was going through the target completely sideways. I open the bolt and look down the barrel and the gun had NO rifling. Take it to a local gunsmith and he mics the barrel and finds out it had only been pilot drilled. On my very first shot I put a .308 sized bullet down a barrel that was only .299 or .300. Luckily it didn’t blow up in my face. I call Fierce and have a somewhat heated discussion with John Mogle (owner) and at one point he laughs and says get a lawyer and have fun. So I did. It took 2 years but in the end I got roughly 10k. They actually didn’t complete their end of the agreement so I still have the rifle as evidence.

This story is so shortened so you wouldn’t have to read through 25 passages of sh*t to understand how ridiculous they are as a company. I spoke with 5-6 different employees and not one of them came through on helping me rectify the situation. In the beginning I would have accepted an apology and a new gun or two and moved on but when John told me to get a lawyer and have fun I was pot committed. Probably could have taken it to court and done more but after two years I was over it. Hope this helps some of you not waste your money with what I consider to be an absolute joke of a company from the top down.

nobody

WKR
Such a bummer, but not surprising knowing the type of guy that John Mogle is. Hit up the google and read about his "escapades" when he worked for Christensen, you'll see info to corroborate OP's stories. I'm not a Christensen fan by any means, but they were right to drive John out of there.

It's a shame too, because I like some of Fierce's designs. Breaking from tradition and doing more of a Sako clone than a 700 clone shows they have good ideas. Unfortunately, they were born out of the wrong guy.

Does fury make their own barrels?

Forgive me for not really believing the story. I just can’t bring my self to believe.

I’m a guy who’s never shot a new gun without inspecting it, cleaning it, and taking the first shot from the hip.
So I’m having a hard time believing someone made a barrel and forgot to rifle it, then chucked it up and centered it in a lathe when none of their pilots and rods would fit, contoured the barrel and didn’t notice, chambered the barrel and didn’t notice the pilots didn’t fit, then threaded and crowned the barrel and never noticed the lack or rifling, then assembled a rifle and never noticed, likely cleaned the metal shavings out of the barrel prior to test firing and never noticed.
And then a guy bought the rifle and somehow got to the point of shooting it without noticing, locked it up and shipped it out, still hasn’t noticed, Fierce has it and returns it without noticing, ect…

I just don’t see how at least 2 folks could not notice, and it was likely more than 2.

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy! This isn't the first time Ive heard horror stories about the Manufacturer! Huge props to you for sticking it through! The owner sounds like a huge doush bad!

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
This would never happen to me. I am too much of a gun nerd. I'd probably notice my cleaning rod not rotating and if not that, the bore scope would show a smooth bore as I would want to get a baseline condition of the bore prior to firing. Then I would just use sabots, Bwahahahahah:D

That is a really telling account of a problem with a manufacturer. What a nightmare!

NSI

WKR
This would never happen to me. I am too much of a gun nerd. I'd probably notice my cleaning rod not rotating and if not that, the bore scope would show a smooth bore as I would want to get a baseline condition of the bore prior to firing. Then I would just use sabots, Bwahahahahah:D

That is a really telling account of a problem with a manufacturer. What a nightmare!
Watch out, we've got a badass ova heeya!

Just kidding, wish I was that fastidious.

OP: The undersized bore is terrifying. The rest is annoying to frustrating. Do they not test fire rifles before shipping? Looking at their package deals, half the cost of GW, hard to imagine building a rifle yourself that inexpensive. Ryan at LRO seems to like their CT Edge (sp?) action too.

-J

Sled

WKR
That's a shame. My 7mm fierce fury is a clover leaf machine with factory ammo. That said I still prefer my Tikkas for hunting.