Fierce Firearms Disaster

axeforce6

WKR
Never looked and already said that’s on me. As stated earlier I don’t clean barrels on new guns before I shoot them. Maybe I should. I definitely look through every gun now better than before.

Also, I had my first kid right after my first time shooting it. Long story as well but he’s had 3 open heart surgeries. First one was at 5 days old. All that was going on when I was shooting the rifle. Shooting was a way to escape the hardest time in my life but I also wasn’t thinking the clearest.
God bless ya brother.

OP
david2duck
God bless ya brother.
I hope your son has the medical stuff behind him. Best wishes!
He is doing awesome. Toughest dude I know. Thanks guys.

I only put that in there because a few guys have been like “oh that would never happen to me….. blah blah blah”. Stuff happens and sometimes people have things going on. My buddy that was with me didn’t even notice it when he looked down the barrel after me. I had to ask him if something didn’t look right. Then he was like oooooooh sh*t.

hiker270

WKR
Fierce released this video several years ago specifically related to their 28 Nosler in which they stated it was “…100% an ammo problem”. About the same time I was considering getting a semi-custom rifle and had contacted them along with a few other “nicer” rifle makers. Two or three phone calls, lots of questions, a few emails exchanges over a few days, and quickly my first impression of them was poor attitude towards customer service. Seemed like I was bothering them or taking up their precious time. Nope, not buying from them! Made it easy to move on to looking at other makers.

I had a Fierce 28 Nosler. I have been reloading for over 50 years and consider myself pretty good at it. Tried quite a few different bullet/powder combinations and never could get it to shoot to suit me. Gave up and traded it.

OP
david2duck
I know several people from northern utah who have met the owner of fierce.
No of them had anything decent to say. And I steered clear. Which is a same. I wish more rifles were built on an improved Sako
I was really excited about both rifles I had purchased. Most money at the time I had ever spent on guns. They have some good designs at good price points. QC and CS just isn’t there.

Reactions: 686

Fatcamp

WKR
Those are insane pics. The fact you still have the rifle says volumes. If a real company had screwed up like this, they would be bending over backwards to fix it.

Let talk about the DANGER that rifle posed. Chamber pressures had to be way high. Someone could have gotten hurt or killed. They should want the rifle back simply for safety and to avoid a lawsuit. Makes me question the people running the company.

Damn lucky that rifle didn't blow up.

OP, have you had any thoughts about using the action to build off of?

Although, I wonder if the bolt lugs or lug recesses in the action could be set back or damaged from that huge pressure spike if no rifling shooting.

I had once considered getting one of their rifles due to the action design and the thought that maybe the trigger was as reliable in adverse conditions as the Sako and Tikka (never got far enough to research the trigger). But, found a few reviews of extremely poor customer service and decided I didn't want to deal with that considering the number of problems I saw reported.

OP
david2duck

Although, I wonder if the bolt lugs or lug recesses in the action could be set back or damaged from that huge pressure spike if no rifling shooting.

I had once considered getting one of their rifles due to the action design and the thought that maybe the trigger was as reliable in adverse conditions as the Sako and Tikka (never got far enough to research the trigger). But, found a few reviews of extremely poor customer service and decided I didn't want to deal with that considering the number of problems I saw reported.
I asked a local gunsmith if he would do a once over and rebarrel it for me. He said absolutely not. Said this gun is a living unicorn and he wouldn’t touch it.

Another friend has a fury in .300 RUM and it hammers. Trigger on it and the 28 Nosler felt good but could only go down to like 2 1/2 pounds or so if I remember right. I believe they have changed triggers now but don’t quote me in that.

Glad I came across this post. I've been eyeing the Rouge, but now think I'll go with the Weatherby

Same! I’m not sure how a company can come back from this. A QC slip I can understand if the company rectified the situation nicely. This wasn’t the case it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
Did Fierce answer on this thread why they didn't notice?

Someone referenced my question to the OP with a question of how fierce didn, t notice, which is a question that wont be answered which is why it wasnt asked

Sled

WKR

The action is really nice and so is the trigger on mine after it was replaced. Initially it would be a crisp 2lb pull but creep up to 4lbs over a 10 shot string. I cleaned it out with lighter fluid a few times and decided to talk to fierce about it. They wouldn't send me a trigger and wanted the rifle in hand. So, I drove the 4+hr round trip that day. When I got there they immediately swapped it out. I was happy with the in person CS and understand why they didn't trust me over the phone. I will say that John did strike me as a bit of a snake oil salesmen but I had proof that his oil was working on my targets. To this day that is still the most accurate gun I own with one particular factory ammo. It's funny that Tikka led me to fierce and now I'm back to Tikka for 90% of my field shooting. I'll probably sell the fierce and build up something else since I've fallen out of favor with the 7mm mag cartridge but that has nothing to do with the gun as a whole.

To the OP, I'm sorry you got a raw deal from John. I hope you get squared away with what you want in the end. That's way too much cash to put out for results and CS like you've experienced.

OP
david2duck
This thread has been pretty good but let’s not turn this into a measuring contest or start arguing back in forth. Almost every thread ends up that way and it’s old. This is just info and a data point like the scope evaluations or bullet expansion stuff. I come here to gain some knowledge and hopefully be able to pass some on. Thanks

crich

WKR
Im not one to jump online and share negative experiences with companies but OPs situation is unbelieveable and I think getting this out is necessary. Seems like these guys are hit or miss on many levels. My Rival initially showed with a laundry list of issues over the entire rifle. I sent an email with photos and was told that it was a prototype rifle and never should have been sent out. I found it odd because it met all of my custom order specs like caliber colors barrel length etc. I sent it back and received it a few weeks later with about half of the problems fixed. It had to send it back a second time. They didnt give me much of a problem getting things squared away but I will say every time I spoke to them on the phone it felt as if I was bothering them. Im sure plenty of guys have had great experiences with them but IMO they need to reevaluate some of their standard practices.

Last edited: