Fierce vs. Seekins vs. Bergara vs. Semi Custom

SloppyJ

WKR
Really wanting a new 30cal rifle. I'd like a 22" 300PRC ideally. I initially looked at building a 300wsm off of a long action Tikka but I see no cost savings there with the magnum rifles going for $800 used. Other option is a Howa 1500 barreled action and scraping the barrel. There is some cost savings there.

Ideally, I'd like to keep it around $2500 for the rifle alone. I've looked at the Fierce Carbon Rival FP, Havac PH2 although I don't like the barrel length and the twist, and the Bergara Premier Canyon for factory options. I'd really like to piece together something off a Coupe De Grace or Origin so I can get everything that I want but I'm worried about the budget. I'm in no hurry so I'd be looking for deals on parts as they came along. Wondering what you all would lean towards if you were in this situation. I have the skills to put everything together and bed it myself and I like doing those things. I'm sort of tired of the roll of the dice with the factory options as well.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I can't say much about Havoc but I do own one of the original canadian build Fierce and a bergara. I wouldn't buy a fierce now. Mine is a shooter and very solid gun. A friend of mine got one about 2 years ago and has nothing but issues with it . His was made in Utah. Bergara's are great rifles. Same friend that has the fall apart Fierce also has a B14 Bergara in 300 prc. We have hit steel at 1 mile with it plenty of times (hand loads with a 20 moa rail and my old leupold Mrk 4.)
ResearchinStuff makes a solid point with the Sako. I would hunt with one any day of the week. Honestly I probably should have purchased that over the Fierce. I really hope that one day Fierce will fix their current flaws because I love the one I have. They just don't make them as well as they did when I purchased mine.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

TxLite

WKR
Another vote for custom. Something much more enjoyable about a rifle you built vs one you got off a shelf, imo

eamyrick

WKR
I’d find a factory stainless tikka in whatever caliber suits you and drop it in a custom edge-fill stock and spend the leftover money on a nice piece of glass and rings. This is coming off the heels of a pile of custom builds. Nothing shot better or was more reliable than my tikka 30-06.

I know everyone has their own option, but begrara gets my vote. I have a 300 WM and I consistently shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 1000 yards with the Berger 215’s. I have even stretched it out to a mile with great success.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
The Seekins sure has the mag length. If the Sako S20 had a wee bit more mag length I would have already bought one.

I’ve got the Seekins in 300 WM.
It holds decent groups. It’s hard to gripe about other than being a little long; plus it’s threaded.IMG_5567.jpegIMG_5565.jpegIMG_5563.jpeg

H80Hunter

WKR
I had the same ejection issue on two 7 rem mag Bergaras that Jim from backfire had on his recent squared crest review so I’d be careful there.

Seekins for an “off the shelf” rifle.

Custom rifle would be my recommendation overall, but that may blow your budget a bit.

I had the same ejection issue on two 7 rem mag Bergaras that Jim from backfire had on his recent squared crest review so I’d be careful there.
Are yours also the crest? It’s a sweet looking rifle and they make great barrels, I’ve been considering one in 6.5 PRC. But I’m not willing to risk a failure to eject in the middle of a back country hunt.

JMM1990

FNG
Any recommendations on gunsmiths that can semi-custom build off a tikka action?

H80Hunter

WKR
Are yours also the crest? It’s a sweet looking rifle and they make great barrels, I’ve been considering one in 6.5 PRC. But I’m not willing to risk a failure to eject in the middle of a back country hunt.
Mine was a B-14 Hunter in 7 rem mag but I moved on from it

JMM1990

FNG
Unknown Munitions, Long Rifles Inc, Kampfeld Customs, Twisted Barrel, or we would be happy to talk you through doing it yourself.

-J
Thank You! I'll start doing some research and might try to tackle it myself, if it will help save some money.

Reactions: NSI