First hunt

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Champs,

New to the forum and new to elk hunting, but have hunted the mules for several years. Picked CO due to distance of driving. I figure OTC units can and likely will be crowded . I figured after one season of getting my butt kicked by a giant cervid that I will likely have some intelligent questions to ask. But, as of now I really don't.
One thing I would like to ask is if any of you guys/gals wish you had brought a particular item/creature comfort/whatever on your first time elk hunting? I will be hunting late season OTC .

Have a good one

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Good insulated sleeping pad if ur camped out

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
Many moons ago, I slept on the ground in a sleeping bag without a ground pad, did this for 3 or 4 years, until I finally decided enough was enough. Kinda funny thinking back on it.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Many moons ago, I slept on the ground in a sleeping bag without a ground pad, did this for 3 or 4 years, until I finally decided enough was enough. Kinda funny thinking back on it.
Same. I used to grab a sleeping bag and wrap a tarp around me like a burrito. And then I found an insulated sleeping pad and what do you know I was much less cranky in the mornings haha

OP
rkcdvm

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I have an inflatable pad that I use while backpacking. It is insulated fortunately. I dont trust R ratings on things now. Its a nemo. My bag is a 15 degree down bag. I was thinking of getting a liner or something in case it gets really cold.

And a chair is a great idea.

Thanks everyone.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I have an inflatable pad that I use while backpacking. It is insulated fortunately. I dont trust R ratings on things now. Its a nemo. My bag is a 15 degree down bag. I was thinking of getting a liner or something in case it gets really cold.

And a chair is a great idea.

Thanks everyone.
Good coffee if ur a coffee drinker! Haha

OP
rkcdvm

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I hope the Jetboil works in that cold weather.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
It will. Just takes longer haha and I keep mine running and just take my cup off to eat or drink and put it back on to keep warmth. I've been out in some nasty stuff and had a warm cup of coffee and food

“I picked my hunting spot because of driving distance.”

That blows my mind. So common which is why it’s crowded there. But let me tell you something... a drive home empty handed and frustrated is way longer than a drive with the antlers of a bull in the rear view mirror regardless of where you came from. Fact. We laugh and smile the whole way from the west side of Montana and Wyoming. Priorities!

If your going to make a mistake, do it being aggressive.

You don't need half the crap in your pack.

You don't need a spotting scope, or probably even any glass, so light comfy compact binos are just fine.

Keep moving till your in them.

If you spook one at close range, don't stand there dumbfounded, get your weapon on him, he'll stop and look back inside 50yds 99.9% of the time.

Beendare

WKR
Welcome to the forum RKC......

I think the best advice to a new guy here is; Utilize the search feature.

For example, there is a long running and very informative thread on your Jetboil stove currently running in the gear section. Literally any question you can think of has been asked....and many very experienced guys have responded.

On the Jetboil thread, multiple guys have tested multiple stoves with plusses and minuses inc pots, etc. In particular, AK Trout has some excellent test info on the different stoves and pots. If you re a true Jetboil fanboy, you won't like my comments....but I am not the end all on this.....there are a lot of opinions and you can sort them for yourself

_______

OP
rkcdvm

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum RKC......

I think the best advice to a new guy here is; Utilize the search feature.

For example, there is a long running and very informative thread on your Jetboil stove currently running in the gear section. Literally any question you can think of has been asked....and many very experienced guys have responded.

On the Jetboil thread, multiple guys have tested multiple stoves with plusses and minuses inc pots, etc. In particular, AK Trout has some excellent test info on the different stoves and pots. If you re a true Jetboil fanboy, you won't like my comments....but I am not the end all on this.....there are a lot of opinions and you can sort them for yourself

_______
That’s good to know. Fortunately I’m not married to the JB. I guess that learning what you like and don’t like is all part of the experience . Thanks for the info on the stove thread . I will certainly give that a look

mlgc20

WKR
For me, the most important creature comfort is a great pillow. It took me years to get my backcountry pillow system dialed in. But, now I sleep as well or better in the backcountry that’s I do at home. There are several threads in the “Sleep Systems” section discussing pillow options. I shake my head at all the nights I spent trying to keep a puffy jacket or fleece under my head as a pillow. Take a few extra ounces and invest in your sleep.

I would say the biggest thing for me is good food. When I started hunting with my current crew, they were amazed at the food I pulled out of my cooler. You don't need to go cheap and eat meals that will just get you by. The stuff you like to eat at home will likely last in your cooler for a week, especially late season, and will provide a much needed boost after a long day. Taco seasoning and ground meat is easy to cook in camp. Throw some fajita mix in a bag and cook it and have tortillas. Steaks, cream of mushroom soup, and canned veggies. Cook spaghetti before you go and warm it up in a pot. No restaurant will ever match a meal like that in the mountains.

Gila

WKR
It does....most models do anyway. Last year 15 degrees 30mph winds with light snow. I'm done with the backpack tent stuff though. This year it's walltent, wood stove, airbed, easy chair....steak n' eggs for breakfast. But still gonna use the jetboil for coffee. I just throw a pouch in, light 'er up and java ready in 2 minutes.

mlgc20

WKR
I would say the biggest thing for me is good food. When I started hunting with my current crew, they were amazed at the food I pulled out of my cooler. You don't need to go cheap and eat meals that will just get you by. The stuff you like to eat at home will likely last in your cooler for a week, especially late season, and will provide a much needed boost after a long day. Taco seasoning and ground meat is easy to cook in camp. Throw some fajita mix in a bag and cook it and have tortillas. Steaks, cream of mushroom soup, and canned veggies. Cook spaghetti before you go and warm it up in a pot. No restaurant will ever match a meal like that in the mountains.
This is great advice. Good food can be a game changer. I would add, check out www.minimus.biz. They sell all sorts of individual condiments packets. Things like hot sauce, shelf stable cheese, olive oil, oyster cracker packets, jelly, and a million other things. You can really dress up a dish in the woods just like you might at home.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
The chemical hand warmer trick, pop one in each boot at night to dry them out. Little bottle of hot sauce, helps everything cooked in a bag.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member