First Lite Challis Fleece Jacket

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new Challis showed up 2 weeks ago and I am looking forward to incorporating it into the system. Fleece for the win! I have been wearing it around the house and outside, shooting my bow a little with it. So far its checking all the boxes. Plenty warm to wear on cooler spring day as a stand alone, yet, enough room to layer under it and wear it out in the field come late season. I can really see this softshell being vital for late archery. The fleece is dead quiet.

IMG_7550.jpg

I am a big fan of the grid lined fleece on the interior.

IMG_7563.jpg

Touted as windproof, the Challis should prove as valued glassing piece in those early season hunts. I have a Spring Bear hunt coming up at the end of May that will get it some time in the field. I will use it through the summer and have a full review towards the early fall, right before hunting season ramps up.

IMG_7560.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them!

feanor

WKR
It looks like it has tricep vents. Have you used them? Curious to know how effective that would be.

WoodBow

WKR
I'm very interested in it if it is as advertised. I have yet to find dead quiet and windproof. In my experience, manufacturers throw around windproof real willy nilly, when what they really mean is wind resistant. And sometimes barely that.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
let us know on how it does with burrs. I love fleece but that was always an issue. Kryptek improved burr resistance quite a bit with their Vellus and hoping FL did the same.

Also, is the jacket a little cold when you first put it on? Sometimes windproofing makes them a little slower to warm from body heat. Small issue, but wondering.

ChrisAU

WKR
I also got one last week, I love it. Way too hot here to test it out, but its a piece I've been wanting. I do wish the sleeves had the same grid fleece lining instead of whatever they used, they are very loud compared to the rest of the piece.

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR
I got one of these a wk ago or so, I'm pretty impressed so far. I live on a big lk that can white cap from wind and it was very comfortable in a mini squaw the other day.

I like the stretch and bicep zips. I put it on over a heavier hoody and it worked fine.
This with a light hoody and or vest under /over with a rain jacket would be a great piece. It's definitely heavier than the UL down hoodys but they probably aren't as wind proof as this either.

ETA this is definitely more of a "jacket" as described on the tag

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like it has tricep vents. Have you used them? Curious to know how effective that would be.
Yep, sure does. They open up pretty big and I would imagine they dump alot of heat quickly if needed. I have not been in a situation where I need to use them yet.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
let us know on how it does with burrs. I love fleece but that was always an issue. Kryptek improved burr resistance quite a bit with their Vellus and hoping FL did the same.

Also, is the jacket a little cold when you first put it on? Sometimes windproofing makes them a little slower to warm from body heat. Small issue, but wondering.
Noted with the burrs. I definitely come across some when pheasant hunting. The inside of the arms is a different material than the grid fleece that I could see be a little cold (if not layered up)

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also got one last week, I love it. Way too hot here to test it out, but its a piece I've been wanting. I do wish the sleeves had the same grid fleece lining instead of whatever they used, they are very loud compared to the rest of the piece.
I would agree with that. The grid fleece is so dang nice...