Fit question regarding DT1 and lumbar pad

SDHNTR

WKR
So when I first got my DT1 it was determined that I needed normal shaped stays (composite). Over the weekend, I loaded up my pack with a really wierd load. It was a treestand with several sections of climbing steps. The slimbing sticks were what were really heavy and I had them held onto the bottom of the pack with the Grab It. Total load was 59lbs on the scale, but most of the load was at the very bottom of the pack and rather awkward. My problem was that in order for me to get the belt tight enough to carry the load without sagging down my hips, the lumbar pad caused some discomfort in the process. Why is that pad so big?

And is my problem related to the fact that my load was odd and weighted low on the pack, or is my problem with the shape of the stays and maybe I need flat ones afterall? Previous hikes with about 30lbs in it did not reveal this problem. It wasn't until I had a heavier load and needed the hip belt to be tighter. Thoughts? I need to get this worked out as I have an important pack in elk hunt coming up mid Sept.

KMT

WKR
My DT3 lumbar pad dug into my back severely under heavy loads last year. I live near kifaru and they straightened out the stays for me and fitted the pack while I was there. The different stays made a huge difference, and I would not even consider using a different pack.

I would:

1. Load the pack correctly.
2. Follow these steps. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?9413-Kifaru-pack-No-No-s-and-tips-on-fit
3. See if the lumbar pad is still killing you.
4. If it is still a problem, its probably time for different stays.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I had the same problem but mine was the Belt wouldnt stay up around my waist the Straight back stays fixed this for me. I have the opposite though I needed the pad to dig in more to the small of my back. New Pad in the Backpad and Straight back Stays fixed it right up for me. Lots of adjustability on your pack. Make sure you watch Aron and Patrick Videos on fitting the pack properly to you also. Another thing and what KMT mentioned was loading the pack correctly. The Focus of the weight should be right on the middle of your back around the shoulder Blades. If it is weight towards your lower back your going to have huge issues. Kifaru packs are made for Carrying heavy loads. But i dont think I have seen anything about carrying odly shapped heavy loads. I could be wrong. I am sure you can work it out though.

KMT thanks for the Link I havent seen that yet. =-)

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Yeah, I know I had the load packed funky. It was awkward and there really wasn't any other way. Fortunately I only had about 1.2 miles to get out so I just dealt with it.

I will load it right and try again.

So a loading question... You dump your basecamp and empty your pack. Now it's time to pack out an elk hindquarter in your empty pack. Without a sleeping bag or something on the bottom of the pack, how do you keep the load riding up higher?

So a loading question... You dump your basecamp and empty your pack. Now it's time to pack out an elk hindquarter in your empty pack. Without a sleeping bag or something on the bottom of the pack, how do you keep the load riding up higher?

cinch the bottom compression straps and then dial in the height of the load with the side compression straps. it will make sense when you do it, i think this is one of the more overthought things around here