Fixed or Mechanical

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, this is my first post on the Archery page. I am relatively new to archery. 2015 was my first archery hunting year, it was difficult but I was able to connect with a mule deer doe (using a solid broadhead). I wanted to lighten my arrow up this year (from 490 gr to 430 gr) because I will mainly be hunting mule deer here in Washington. With the lighter arrow it should be flying around 280 fps. Max effective range is 40 yds, but would like to get that up to 50. It is really windy here in Eastern Washington so wind drift is a concern. I liked the Solid broadheads last year but I did not love the cost! Every time I missed, I would cringe thinking another $25 down the drain. I am looking at a new broadheads and was thinking about a slick trick, wac-em, or VPA fixed. But tell me about mechanicals, I feel that since I will only be hunting deer with this set up that a mechanical should give me good performance but I read a lot of stories where they don't open at the right time, or something happens to cause them not to work correctly. I do like the idea of how they probably fly truer than fixed but I'm not sure I can trust them. What is your experience?

elkyinzer

WKR
This is a perpetual debate in the archery community with no right or wrong answer. My take: Mechanicals get the job done. Until they don't. I have heard a few too many anecdotes of failure. From people I know, not internet warriors. I stick to fixed heads. I've killed animals with VPAs, Muzzy's, Rocky Mountains, Montec's, and am currently trying Shuttle T's all with good results and pros/cons. Little extra tuning for some peace of mind is why I choose fixed.

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity, I am from BC and when I was down at Cabela's in Washington I bought some mechanical broadheads and was told by the salesman there that they were illegal to use for hunting in Washington state. Have things changed?

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity, I am from BC and when I was down at Cabela's in Washington I bought some mechanical broadheads and was told by the salesman there that they were illegal to use for hunting in Washington state. Have things changed?

Archery Regulations
1. Rules pertaining to all archery hunting
seasons:
a.New in 2015, mechanical broadheads
are legal to use for all archery hunting.

This came directly out of the Washington hunting regs, so it is legal.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Are the Ulmer "trophy takers supposed to have less problems? Am I over thinking this whole thing?

Are the Ulmer "trophy takers supposed to have less problems? Am I over thinking this whole thing?

Those are discontinued. I personally didn't like them myself but for deer my newest go to is Rage 2 blade chisel SC. They just work for me.

kodiakfly

WKR
Shoot what you're comfortable with. I trust mechanicals and I've never had an issue with them. I certainly don't mean anyone in this thread, or even on this site, but too many people buy a mechanical and think it's the end-all, be-all of bowhunting and that they'll fly like field points and punch a 6" hole in an animal and that they can shoot it 100 yards. And then they proceed to not practice or tune with them and then go shoot an animal in the ass and blame the broadhead for not killing it and all of a sudden, "mechanicals suck."

Any broadhead can fail. The key with mechanicals is getting one that's simple and rugged and not selling you craziness and gimmicks. That Rage Core thing is kinda what I'm talking about... I like stainless ferrules on them, and two blades. It's like the old carbon vs aluminum argument. Guys didn't like carbon because they "shattered all the time" and were "way too light." Well, we see how that turned out.

elkguide

WKR
I'm a fixed blade fan, my son shoots only mechanicals. I practice all year round and get my bow tuned. My son shoots about two weeks before the season and has his bow tuned every 5 years or so. Solids are good. Slicks are good. I prefer German Kinetics but if you think that Slicks are expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually have 3 GK's and 2 Slicks or Solids in my quiver. Deer/Elk get the GK's. Coyotes/Turkeys get the other heads.

Gumbo

WKR
I shot fixed blades for about 22 years and switched to mechanicals for the last three. I saw the devastation that mechanicals caused and like that they fly more like field tips, especially at longer ranges. BUT I still have a very well tuned bow and shoot almost every day. Last year I shot an elk and antelope at medium/moderately long ranges and had complete pass throughs. Granted, this sample size is small, but I am a believer. As with any broadhead, shot placement is absolutely critical, probably even more so with mechanicals. And you had better had some power behind mechanicals...I shoot 70 lbs at 27.5 inch DL and was shooting light 385 grain arrows. This year I am going to be more in the 430-445 range depending on the shaft and insert I decide to go with. As has already been said, some love mechanicals, some hate them. I just have more confidence in my shot placement with mechanicals in the wind, excitement, and contorted shots that go along with hunting.

MattB

WKR
In my experience (~70 kills with MBH's and ~30 with fixed blades) most mechanical failures occur before the bowhunter even enters the field. Lots of guys use MBH's as a band aid for proper tuning and blame the BH style rather than themselves for the issues that result. I take what I read and hear from guys with a grain of salt, as few bowhunters seem to be willing to blame themselves for problems they experience. It's usually the equipment's fault - whether it is or not.

NorthT

FNG
I shoot both and have a preference for mh but shoot fh for elk and large game. I have had one failure with a rage head, could argue that it was my fault vs the heads fault. I shot a deer broadside at 30 yards and only got 4 inch of pentration and did not kill the deer. I could say it was the head, or my shot placement and hit too far forward. I could also say my arrow was too light 404gr but taking that same shot with fh i could have been a different story. Same arrow with a montec I killed a deer at 53 yrd that blew thur the opposite side shoulder. Same bow same arrow, same weight. I now shoot killzone which i think has a better design but that just me.

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Cool thanks, I was just curious as the last time I was down there it wasnt legal.. And I really didnt get why.. I was also told at the time that lumenoks were illegal to use...

wavygravy

FNG
Last deer I hit with an NAP spitfire had a complete pass through, absolutely destroyed both shoulder blades and he wasn't long for this world. Another one hit a bit far back, but still did the job with a pass through. These are smaller eastern deer though. My dad has had really good luck with the Rage 2 blades.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot what you're comfortable with. I trust mechanicals and I've never had an issue with them. I certainly don't mean anyone in this thread, or even on this site, but too many people buy a mechanical and think it's the end-all, be-all of bowhunting and that they'll fly like field points and punch a 6" hole in an animal and that they can shoot it 100 yards. And then they proceed to not practice or tune with them and then go shoot an animal in the ass and blame the broadhead for not killing it and all of a sudden, "mechanicals suck."

Any broadhead can fail. The key with mechanicals is getting one that's simple and rugged and not selling you craziness and gimmicks. That Rage Core thing is kinda what I'm talking about... I like stainless ferrules on them, and two blades. It's like the old carbon vs aluminum argument. Guys didn't like carbon because they "shattered all the time" and were "way too light." Well, we see how that turned out.

What he said!

I have used Grimm Reapers with success (pass through with a big fat doe using my old Diamond at 65lbs). They come with a practice broad head which is good for getting your setup dialed in or just confirming that it shoots true with that broad head.

Anyways, good luck and practice, practice, practice!

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
I myself also use the Grimm Reapers and they put the smack down on my record book black bear.. I am considering trying some fixed blades this year as well.. I would like to have a couple of each in my quiver.. Mechanical where there is no brush or tall grass in my way and fixed for those times where the possibility of something opening my blades before they make impact..

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I used to shoot Wasp Jack Hammers back in the day, I loved them until one day I took a quarter away shot at one of my biggest bucks to date and the arrow looked like it literally deflected off the dear due to the angle. Since then I have been a fixed broad head user, that being said mechanicals have come a long way and will be considering a NAP Killzone, but I must say its going to be hard to switch over from a 100 grain Slick Trick.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, I am going to dabble in it this year and build up confidence with the mechanicals. Lots of good info!!!