Flatirons

blkqi

WKR
I'll have to try that. Most of my chuck gets either ground, stewed, pot roasted.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
I still select them out on whitetail as small as they are. The bifurcating gristle line is no issue for me so each blade roast stays as one piece as opposed to trimming into flat irons.
You can also cross-cut the blade roast into "chicken steaks" instead.

Yep, I’ve cut quite a few of them from elk and beef over the years. I don’t particularly like cutting them from beef since it slows the production down but it’s a nice steak for sure.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t particularly like cutting them from beef since it slows the production down but it’s a nice steak for sure.
Every year I ask the processor that cuts our side of beef to do the boutique cuts for me: Flat irons, petite tenders, under-blade, picanha, chuckeye....but it falls to deaf ears. I imaging their thought process is the same.

dlee56

WKR
We like beef flatirons over almost any other cut, I’ll have to slow down on my next elk and save them instead of chunking for ground.

Weldor

WKR
Cut 2 off my Elk this year after watching Janis butcher them off the shoulder. Looks like this Saturdays supper.

Every year I ask the processor that cuts our side of beef to do the boutique cuts for me: Flat irons, petite tenders, under-blade, picanha, chuckeye....but it falls to deaf ears. I imaging their thought process is the same.
If my customer requests those cuts then that’s what they get. It may cost a little bit more for a true custom beef processing and that’s just because it’s more labor intensive to get those cuts. More knife work vs. bandsaw work.

Denver steaks are a great cut as well and often overlooked. So are flank and skirt steak.

dlee56

WKR
I’d be a little upset if I was paying that much for a half beef and they couldn’t take the extra time to do what I asked.

JrCaps

FNG
Most processors don't know what a picanha, petit tender or underblade are. I am blessed to have a background in butchering and having the equipment to do it myself.

If they are a good processor or have been doing it for a while they should know or I should say they better know what all the cuts are.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
If they are a good processor or have been doing it for a while they should know or I should say they better know what all the cuts are.
They know. They just don't give a rip. They're the only game in town for the local farmers to use. Farmers bitch about them too.

Catchfish

WKR
I always keep those flat irons, never heard of the petite tenderloin? This is off the front shoulder?