Flatlanders first time-What I learned

kyburley

FNG
Just got back from my Idaho OTC DIY archery elk hunt and it was amazing. Several close encounters but for one reason or the next, just couldn't connect. Learned a lot and next year I will be posting pics of my bull!!

So I thought I would share a few things of what I learned out there for your reading pleasure.

1. Rokslide is your friend - I cannot begin to tell you how much I benefited from the hours upon hours of research I preformed on Rokslide. Its invaluable and I felt I was very well prepared. Thanks all!!

2. The wind is its own living specie - The wind was really hard to get a handle on out there. By the time I was leaving, I was just starting to figure it out. If you don't like the wind now, wait 30 seconds...it'll change!! Tough!!

3. Elk are hard to kill - They have every advantage in the world out there! The terrain, the wind, the herd, that one little freakin limb etc. Brings an admiration for you guys that do it every year. You truly have to drop everything you've learned about hunting whitetails and just go after them. You may kill yourself getting there but just getting close will rejuvenate you. Which brings me to my next point.....

4. Mentally its grueling as well - Its a roller coaster ride of emotions!! You work your tail in the dirt to get so close yet fail. Wake up and do it again and again and again. Frustrating as hell!

5. 20 degree bag does NOT mean 20 degrees - At least in the case of my Kelty Cosmic. That first night I about froze my butt off. I figured out real fast that a 20 degree bag means sleeping in your base layer and a stocking hat. I was comfortable then. I will be looking into a quilt for next years hunt.

6. I missed my family - No cell reception where we were at so we rented a Sat phone. At least we could check in every couple days so it was worth it in my book. May look into buying one as this will probably be at least an annual thing from this point forward.

7. I liked my sidearm - I read countless posts on this very subject. Its about a 50/50 split id say. I left the bear spray in the truck and carried my gun on the mountain and liked having it. Did I need it.....nope. Will it be on my side next year.....yep.

8. Take care of your feet - Read hours on this subject as well. I ended up with Salomons and they did their job. One blister on my heal which I caught early and took care of it the rest of the trip. Wasn't an issue. Feet stayed dry as well. I also packed up a pair of sandals for around camp. It allowed me to let my feet air out and breath while at camp. They will be with me again next year.

9. I had the best gear I could afford - All my gear performed great. From the Kuiu attack pants to my FL wool socks. The more money you spend, the lighter you get. I was under 50 lbs. which I thought was pretty dang good. Lightest of the bunch. I will be looking at options to get lighter though starting with my pack. Tenzing 6000 was ok but there are much better packs out there. The pack in sucked!!

10. I felt I done well going up and down the mountain - Its hard guys! If your a first timer thinking about going west and your wondering if your in good enough shape.....your not!! I was the pace man for our group but I still could of been better. We averaged 10 miles a day with 15 miles being the high. Lots of walking lots of climbing.....if you want to get into the elk anyways. I suppose a guy could stand on a mountain and wait for them to come to you, good luck with that!

So, that's all I can think of right now. I was ready to come home and definitely bummed that I didn't kill. After some time to reflect I realize that we were fortunate to get within bow range several times and that time on the mountains with family and friend is something to cherish. I cant wait to get back. That bull is in trouble....guarantee it!!

Thanks everyone for your solid advice!!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Good write-up, you done well to put it into words. That about sums it up. Bottom line.......a lot of cards have to fall into perfect place to get the job done, and a lot of those cards we have no control over. The wind was tough this year, especially until the last week of the season. I can't even count the number of stalks I put in with the wind consistently in my face only to have the wind do a 180 on me just long enough to bust them out, and then 2 seconds later it's strong in my face again for the next hour straight.:mad: Almost like God was just playing with me and laughing the entire time.

OP
K

kyburley

FNG
Thanks guys! I was taking notes on the mountain so I wouldn't forget. :) It was so damn hot this year, lower 80's most days. Very sporadic bugling. Made things difficult....even more!

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Well said, and not just for a flatlander! The points you made apply to every elk hunter, no matter where they are from.
I especially like the one about the sleeping bag. My brother who is in the Marines put it best. The temperature rating on a bag is basically the point at which you can still survive, however it won't be comfortable in doing so!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very well said greenhorn....the wind is the DEVIL!.....the only thing I will add is elk hunting is not meant to be easy nor is it easy...thus when it clicks the highs are extreme and leaves that taste that you want more of it in in the years ahead...I will say the later years make it more difficult and painful at times so hammer it as long as your body and spirit allow! You have a good start and good luck in the future years of elk hunting.

Thanks guys! I was taking notes on the mountain so I wouldn't forget. :) It was so damn hot this year, lower 80's most days. Very sporadic bugling. Made things difficult....even more!

What sleeping pad were you using? This is a commonly overlooked contributor to warmth/cold. I too am a very cold sleeper, but will gladly pack the extra weight if it means a good nights sleep. I have an old Cabela's 3D synthetic 0 degree that ways a ton, but it is so warm I was sweating in near-freezing temps. I just picked up a 0 deg Cosmic, so we'll see how it goes. I have spent many sleepless nights when I try to reduce my pack weight too much. I have come to the realization that a little more weight on the way in/out is very much worth it as 3 hours of suffering each way is better than 8 hours of suffering each

The temperature swing is what catches most off guard their first time in the mountains as it's hard to believe that you will be in the 70s during the day and possibly below freezing at night.

The mental toughness can't be more emphasized. I always took it for granted as I have spent most of my life camping and such, but in taking others that have not I have seen first hand how big of an issue this can be. The several posts this year about partners bailing only emphasizes this issue.

OP
K

kyburley

FNG
Thermarest trail lite. R value of 4 I believe. Lower 80's in day and lower 30's in the night. Pretty crazy!!

Im a hard headed son of a gun (ask my wife) and while I got down a couple of times, I wasn't going to let any mountain or elk whoop me!! It may kill me, but next year i'll have antlers to show off and a freezer full of meat!! ;)

The energy rating on a a sleeping bag is huge. I would guess that your kelty 20* bag is closer to 35*. Nothing worse than being cold. I tell my flat lander friends to respect the mountain. It will kick your butt if you try to be the big dog. Take your rest time and drink water. Move at a pace that works for you and don't give up. Remember, the top is just right there... Good luck to you all in the mountains this year.

Poser

WKR
My 2 cents on the sleeping bag rating: it seems that most of the mainstream, general camping companies, including TNF, tend to have liberal ratings. While Kelty bags have no doubt kept many a person alive, it's average user is not expecting more than pedestrian use. Nothing against it. I have had a 40 degree Kelty bag since 1992 or so that I still use from time to time.

When it's cold out, I would almost always expect to sleep in base layers and a beanie regardless of rating. I would plan on that as part of your cold weather rating with any sleeping bag. In fact, sleeping in additional layers should always be a consideration and makes for a simple way to shave weight (less bag fill) and save money (can get by with 1 high end 20 agree bag rather than multiple bags at 20, 10, 0 etc). If you are expecting sub zero temps, it's a different game entirely and may require owning multiple bags, but fast and light alpine climbers really pushed this threshold by not letting any piece of insulation go to waste when sleeping and taking a lighter bag. There is no shame in sleeping in your clothes -some or all of them.

Mike7

WKR
You summed it up pretty well for me. I have been archery elk hunting for a few years now, and this was by far the most prepared I have been with respect to knowledge, calling, confidence, etc. My longest day was over 15 miles distance with 3,000 ft up & then 3,000 ft back down in elevation change (luckily, I live nearby and could recover back at work for a few days after that weekend hunt). This year I can't point to any significant mistakes that I made, like in past years...but still I couldn't get it done this year.

There were a lot of obstacles I ran into this year on the days that I had off to hunt like heavy smoke, other hunters, high winds and swirling winds, very quiet elk, etc. It is frustrating, but makes me more determined for next year. This year compared to other years I felt more like I didn't lose the game but just ran out of time. Also, I was able to get some good exercise, explored some new country, and got to see a lot of other cool things, like other non-elk animals up close pretty much every time out...oh, and one frightened spike elk that almost ran my buddy and I over on the trail (we suspected that he had just been chased out of the heard by a big bull).

The way I figure it, the only physical advantage that we have over elk are our opposible thumbs, and the ability to walk on top of blown down logs...the elk have every other advantage.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. Bow hunting for elk keeps you coming back - it ain't easy. Take a look at the kifaru 0 degree bag for bow season. Good weight to temp rating, well designed and compresses down well with kifaru's 5 string compression sack. Good luck next year - you'll get it done.

jmez

WKR
#2, you'll never really get a handle on it in the mountains. It swirls, pretty much all the time.

Great write up with good lessons learned!

#3&4 ---You didn't fail, you had close encounters that's a plus rush, and you are coming back for more punishment. Connecting is just an added bonus to it all. #10 will effect # 4 for sure.

Welcome to the insanity

Really well said, congrats on getting out there , you can't kill em if your not there. Great info on the fitness, you don't hear guys be honest about it much, I am pretty fit yet the mountains kick my butt. The only way to be ready for it is to do it. You just have to get a pack on and hike hills. Good luck next year keep us posted.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good write up and I had very similar revelations my first year.

I had a 25° cheap bag and did fine down below freezing but I sleep hot. That said I now have a 10° EE revelation and can't say enough good about it. Quilts have a bit of a learning curve coming from a bag, but EEs are well worth it and are WAY more comfortable.