Fleece Midlayers

Pontius

FNG
Consider the Gen III ECWCS Fleece, available for $30 at your local Army surplus store. Quiet in the brush, blocks a light wind, nice to move in on cool mornings.

That Gen III ECWCS Fleece looks more like the weight I'd like. I prefer my "mid-layer" fleece to be my "main-layer" when I can get away with it. (Light wind, no precip, 35-60 *F...80% of my hunting.)

All the high end grid fleece (Sitka Core Heavyweight and Fanatic, Kuiu Peloton 240, First Lite Halstead, Patagonia R1) is nice, but not quite as warm as I'd like. That ECWCS looks more like my old Patagonia R3, which is nearly perfect (lightweight and comfortable, warm and silent). Anyone have a camo recommendation for one of these? If I had my old Patagonia R3 jacket in First Lite Fusion, I would never take it off while bowhunting. (I say old because to my eyes it looks like the old R3 is now the R2)

My only guess as to why it's hard to find this type of fleece from the high end camo companies is because they think it will pick up too many burrs and stick tights.

Cabelas has a version of the ECWCS I got a while back and it is one of my favorite tops. I wear it over my first lite llano in the later seasons

warrior80

WKR
Another option to consider would be the Kuiu insulated snap shirt. Surprisingly warm for how thin and light it is. I have a couple that I wear around quite a bit but haven't used hunting. Hunting I usually go with Peloton 200 or 240 or Sitka Mid/Heavyweight. I Might have to try one on the mountain this week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
S
Another option to consider would be the Kuiu insulated snap shirt. Surprisingly warm for how thin and light it is. I have a couple that I wear around quite a bit but haven't used hunting. Hunting I usually go with Peloton 200 or 240 or Sitka Mid/Heavyweight. I Might have to try one on the mountain this week.

Definitely looked at those insulated snap shirts but just wasnt too sure with those snaps and all that. Is the outer material quiet similar to the Kenai line?

OP
S
That Gen III ECWCS Fleece looks more like the weight I'd like. I prefer my "mid-layer" fleece to be my "main-layer" when I can get away with it. (Light wind, no precip, 35-60 *F...80% of my hunting.)

All the high end grid fleece (Sitka Core Heavyweight and Fanatic, Kuiu Peloton 240, First Lite Halstead, Patagonia R1) is nice, but not quite as warm as I'd like. That ECWCS looks more like my old Patagonia R3, which is nearly perfect (lightweight and comfortable, warm and silent). Anyone have a camo recommendation for one of these? If I had my old Patagonia R3 jacket in First Lite Fusion, I would never take it off while bowhunting. (I say old because to my eyes it looks like the old R3 is now the R2)

My only guess as to why it's hard to find this type of fleece from the high end camo companies is because they think it will pick up too many burrs and stick tights.

Totally agree with using the mid layer as an outer layer when you can get away with it. Seems once you find that perfect piece you can use for just about everything it literally goes everywhere with you. Sorta what im in the market for at the moment.

Definitely would be nice after looking at the ECWCS to have a camo equivalent.

warrior80

WKR
Definitely looked at those insulated snap shirts but just wasnt too sure with those snaps and all that. Is the outer material quiet similar to the Kenai line?
Yes. Feels just like the Kenai but a lot thinner. What would be your concern with the snaps?

OP
S
Yes. Feels just like the Kenai but a lot thinner. What would be your concern with the snaps?

Wouldnt say it was a huge concern just dont have anything with snaps, only zippers. Thought maybe it would let the breeze in if i was wearing it as an outer layer. Gotta say though I like the Kenai, quietest insulation layer I own.

I think ive probably had the snap shirt in my cart though at least a few times and just never pulled the trigger on it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldnt say it was a huge concern just dont have anything with snaps, only zippers. Thought maybe it would let the breeze in if i was wearing it as an outer layer. Gotta say though I like the Kenai, quietest insulation layer I own.

I think ive probably had the snap shirt in my cart though at least a few times and just never pulled the trigger on it.

Have you thought about the Teton insulated jacket? It’s in between the snap shirt and kenai. Same material just missing the bells and whistles. I like the kenai but the minimalist design of the Teton gets used more either a mid in cold temps or all I need for cool summer nights. Teton is a little heavier and warmer than the snap shirt but for me It’s zipper just makes more sense than buttons while hunting.

warrior80

WKR

I guess there could be a little concern about the breeze if you have it on as an outer layer, but I think it would be fine for most circumstances. If it's that cold out, it's going to be the mid layer. But like I said, I haven't used it on the mountain so take that for what it's worth. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

dotman

WKR
Have you thought about the Teton insulated jacket? It’s in between the snap shirt and kenai. Same material just missing the bells and whistles. I like the kenai but the minimalist design of the Teton gets used more either a mid in cold temps or all I need for cool summer nights. Teton is a little heavier and warmer than the snap shirt but for me It’s zipper just makes more sense than buttons while hunting.

I have the kuiu active jacket which is bare bones but it has replaced my mid layers, it's super breathable. If the Teton is still in the outlet it's a great deal.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the kuiu active jacket which is bare bones but it has replaced my mid layers, it's super breathable. If the Teton is still in the outlet it's a great deal.

Same here. I think people shy away because it’s probably too warm for a mid but breathes so well you don’t sweat. At least for me it has a better range than say a polar fleece and no weight penalty.

Wish the active version would hit the outlet.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Isn't the active just the Teton in solids? Yeah the Teton is a pretty nice piece (at outlet pricing), quite fabric/stretches/breaths and is thick fleece type of warmth (adds some warmth but not going to roast), basic pockets to warm hands or stuff a hat into. Doesn't weigh much.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sitka fanatic hoody and it is great. I wear as a mid layer on cold days and as an outer layer on warmer days. I have used it for 3rd rifle in Colorado and cooler temps here in WV for bow season and it has held up great. I had the FL halstead and sold it because I didn't like the fit.

Owenst7

WKR
Halstead is nice, it's my go-to mid-layer. Wish it was full zip though. Kind of dumb it's not. It's amazing the simple things companies don't think of. Why would anyone want a pullover mid-layer?? I actually had mine modified with a full zip. Silent. Not super durable but durable enough. It's a little thicker than the Peloton as well so it's a little warmer.

The Peloton is nice cause it half-ass shears some wind (not a true windshear layer). But at the same time you can't wear it as an outlayer when bow hunting cause it's too noisy. And the noisy is a weird high-pitched noisy too. Little less warm than Halstead and about the same durability. It's one of the very few Kuiu pieces I think are worth a crap at all.

Both breathe about the same. Both breathe "ok".

Never seen the Sitka.

I prefer pullovers. I have no need for the weight of a zipper, or the discomfort of layering several zippers over each other. I frequently sleep in my fleece layers to take the chill off when I get out of my bag in the morning. I also wear my fleece as a base layer when I'm washing my base layer. Zippers are uncomfortable in both of those situations, and I especially hate having a bunch of zippers layered under my backpack belt (my rain shell and down layer already make two zippers).

I've got a polarmax crew neck and an REI mock neck quarter zip for fleece. They're both 200 weight and weigh about 8 ounces. I like the mock neck when I'm using a jacket that doesn't have a heavily insulated hood to keep my neck warm.

Wind resistance doesn't make sense in a fleece to me. I don't want to reduce breathability at all in something directly over my base layer. If it's chilly but not windy, I'll wear my fleece as the outermost layer. If it's breezy enough to be chilled, I wear my rain shell. If it's too hot with my shell on, I remove the fleece and just wear my baselayer underneath. I've never experienced conditions that didn't work well in. I only need one layer to block wind/rain...adding that function to any other piece sacrifices the strengths of that garment.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't the active just the Teton in solids? Yeah the Teton is a pretty nice piece (at outlet pricing), quite fabric/stretches/breaths and is thick fleece type of warmth (adds some warmth but not going to roast), basic pockets to warm hands or stuff a hat into. Doesn't weigh much.

Essentially yes. They dumbed down the descriptions online. If I remember right the active is cut a hair bigger and a bit more insulation. My wife has one that feels a little more lofty than my Teton.

OP
S
A lot of great discussion and ideas here guys, much appreciated! I actually didnt go with anything i was initially looking at and just decided to order the Pnuma Shenandoah fleece as Ive sorta been checking out Pnuma but never purchased anything. The price was right at $70 and I liked the idea of the Lifetime Warranty on it too.

I got it today and my initial impression is good. Super soft, has a lot of stretch to it and feels plenty warm. Has a nice athletic cut to it too, doubt it will cut much wind though but should be a great mid to outer layer to put over my FL merino bases. Obviously no real world use with it yet but Im looking to get out this next week pretty heavy so should be able to put it through its paces. But just my initial impression i think its going to be a nice piece to have.

Thanks for everyones input.