FNG from WA

JakeB2010

FNG
Hello everybody, Jake here,

Long time lurker from WA state, 26 years old from the wet side of the state and have finally decided to make a profile. This site has been extremely helpful in terms of gear reviews which is awesome for a guy who does not have time or money to try everything under the sun. Hunting the west with salmon and steelhead fishing on the Olympic Peninsula have always been my life long passions and continue to suck up every minute of free time I get.

I was lucky enough to grow up with a dad who was dedicated to both hunting and fishing so my learning curve was expedited a bit. Branch antlered bull tags are hard to come by in this state if you are looking to hunt rocky mountain elk. Growing up, meat was always the priority which led to us using our elk points for easy to draw cow tags. However, my earliest childhood memories included my dad packing me into the wilderness in the dark and we would spend our day calling in bulls and filming them, seeing just how close we could get them to come in (no weapon or tag due to tags being extremely coveted), probably didn't make the few tag holders happy that a father and son were educating unpressured bulls but I sure they had no problem filling tags. lol Memories of big bulls almost stepping on me as a kid still give me goose bumps and reminds me everyday of how much I appreciate the fact my old man did that for me, and now that I'm an adult, makes me even more appreciative. He is still my favorite hunting partner and we go on at least one out of state hunt a year together, mostly deer because it is a little less physically demanding than elk and he is getting up there in age.

I look forward to sharing any knowledge I have that can help somebody new to the sport as well as learning tips from many of the well experienced hunters on here. Seems to me hunting is similar to fishing in that you can set 10 of the most successful elk hunters at a table and they will tell you 10 different methods to killing a big bull, and the beauty is that they all work, its just that each method has a time and place and that is what makes this site so great and unique is that it helps people acquire the tools they need to be successful in the field. Oh and the classifieds are not bad either!

OP
J

JakeB2010

FNG
Thanks guys! Magnum, where abouts on the peninsula? I spend a lot of time on the west end in the greater Forks area chasing steelhead. Really neat area out there.

OP
J

JakeB2010

FNG
Absolutely, I have floated the river above the lake quite a bit and it is gorgeous up there. Long row across the lake though to the takeout, especially on a windy day!

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
If you go to a Tribal Council meeting with a professional request, you can get permission to use an outboard to cross the lake during off seasons. You technically can use an outboard up until you hit the park on the upper river.