Franchi Momentum 6.5 PRC

Wassid82

WKR
I've recently purchased a Franchi Momentum Elite in 6.5 PRC. I'm using it for a teenager as a lighter recoil elk rifle. I'm having some second thoughts and thought about asking here for anyone with experience with this rifle. If there is anyone out here who has used this rifle what are your thoughts. Also what ammo or loads have you found to be successful and accurate? Thanks!

grfox92

WKR
I've recently purchased a Franchi Momentum Elite in 6.5 PRC. I'm using it for a teenager as a lighter recoil elk rifle. I'm having some second thoughts and thought about asking here for anyone with experience with this rifle. If there is anyone out here who has used this rifle what are your thoughts. Also what ammo or loads have you found to be successful and accurate? Thanks!
What are your second thoughts? Not enough juice?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I had 2 Franchi Monemtums in 6.5 CM. One was a standard and the other a Varmint model. I found the accuracy on both to be abysmal. I loved the actions smoothness, but end the end if it won't print under an inch with premium ammo it goes down the trail.

I ened up with a new Winchester XPR in 7mm Rem Mag and it easily beats an inch at 100. You can get one in 6.5 PRC for around $600.

OP
Wassid82

Wassid82

WKR
You worried about the gun itself, or the caliber?
Great Question.....I think a little bit of both. I've never owned a franchi rifle. I have been around their shotguns and thought they were decent. It's my understanding that the rifle has some backing from design within Benelli. That seems to be a plus but I think this might be the first movement of Franchi into the rifle space...... maybe some lessons for them to learn. I'm also interested in knowing how accurate the rifles are. Reseaching on their website they say sub MOA. I'm hoping to find out if others have found that to be accurate. Years ago I bought at 300WSM and I really did like it.....but almost every caliber came out out with at WSM. I think many of those will die off over time. I'm wondering if the same thing happens to the PRC calibers. I was hoping to pick up some info from people on what bullets have been accurate out of their specific rifles. Sometimes in the past I've had rifles that only liked one or two loads.....factory or hand.... which is fine. I just want to know going into it. The other thing on my mind is there isn't a ton of info out there on the rifle specifically in 6.5PRC.....I think that might be because it was introduced during 2020 when things went haywire. Lastly I tend to like 300 cal over other projectiles but I don't want a gun that will create bad shooting habits in my son so I'm trying to find a lighter recoil cartridge for now....just a little nervous about moving away from my tried and trusted experienced rifles..... hope that helps explain my many motives for asking the question. Thanks to anyone for input.

OP
Wassid82

Wassid82

WKR
I had 2 Franchi Monemtums in 6.5 CM. One was a standard and the other a Varmint model. I found the accuracy on both to be abysmal. I loved the actions smoothness, but end the end if it won't print under an inch with premium ammo it goes down the trail.

I ened up with a new Winchester XPR in 7mm Rem Mag and it easily beats an inch at 100. You can get one in 6.5 PRC for around $600.
thanks for the info

OP
Wassid82

Wassid82

WKR
What are your second thoughts? Not enough juice?

Yes. I have several concerns because of lack of experience with this cal and specific gun.....

Great Question.....I think a little bit of both. I've never owned a franchi rifle. I have been around their shotguns and thought they were decent. It's my understanding that the rifle has some backing from design within Benelli. That seems to be a plus but I think this might be the first movement of Franchi into the rifle space...... maybe some lessons for them to learn. I'm also interested in knowing how accurate the rifles are. Reseaching on their website they say sub MOA. I'm hoping to find out if others have found that to be accurate. Years ago I bought at 300WSM and I really did like it.....but almost every caliber came out out with at WSM. I think many of those will die off over time. I'm wondering if the same thing happens to the PRC calibers. I was hoping to pick up some info from people on what bullets have been accurate out of their specific rifles. Sometimes in the past I've had rifles that only liked one or two loads.....factory or hand.... which is fine. I just want to know going into it. The other thing on my mind is there isn't a ton of info out there on the rifle specifically in 6.5PRC.....I think that might be because it was introduced during 2020 when things went haywire. Lastly I tend to like 300 cal over other projectiles but I don't want a gun that will create bad shooting habits in my son so I'm trying to find a lighter recoil cartridge for now....just a little nervous about moving away from my tried and trusted experienced rifles..... hope that helps explain my many motives for asking the question. Thanks to anyone for input.

grfox92

WKR
Yes. I have several concerns because of lack of experience with this cal and specific gun.....

I would shoot it and see how it groups. Based on the caliber performance threads here in the firearm section, and the kills and wound channels guys are getting on elk from .223, 6mm, 2.43, and 6.5cm I wouldn't hesitate to shoot elk at any hunting range with a 6.5prc *with the correct bullet*.

I have a 6.5 PRC that is one of 3 main big game hunting rifles. After I saw how well it performed on elk, I dumped all my magnums - I had a 300 rum, 325 wsm, 7RM, 7wsm, 300 wby etc. the 6.5 PRC is a sick round. Ballistic twin to the 6.5x284 which has killed a lot of game.

TheViking

WKR
Accuracy and shot placement is number 1. A lighter round like the 6.5 PRC is excellent for a younger shooter. Find some ammo that shoots well and let your son pound rounds through it. Norma Golden Target Match rounds are excellent for target practice and relatively cheap. Then I'd look at maybe the factory 143 ELD-X for a hunting round.

As far as the rifle goes, I have no experience with Franchi, other than knowing they make excellent shotguns.

You can never go wrong with a Tikka, Winchester XPR as mentioned above is good, Browning Hells Canyon, Bergara...all are +/- $1000 depending on what you go with.

I personally have a Tikka Roughtech 6.5 PRC that is stupid accurate that I grabbed off the classifieds here for $800.

OP
Wassid82

Wassid82

WKR
Accuracy and shot placement is number 1. A lighter round like the 6.5 PRC is excellent for a younger shooter. Find some ammo that shoots well and let your son pound rounds through it. Norma Golden Target Match rounds are excellent for target practice and relatively cheap. Then I'd look at maybe the factory 143 ELD-X for a hunting round.

As far as the rifle goes, I have no experience with Franchi, other than knowing they make excellent shotguns.

You can never go wrong with a Tikka, Winchester XPR as mentioned above is good, Browning Hells Canyon, Bergara...all are +/- $1000 depending on what you go with.

I personally have a Tikka Roughtech 6.5 PRC that is stupid accurate that I grabbed off the classifieds here for $800.
$800? wow that is a steal. I really like Tikka & sako. Nice find

Last edited:

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the info
No worries. I imagine some of the Momentum rifles are accurate, but after dealing with the 2 I had and doing some additional research, it seems others had similar results.

Tikkas are known for their accuracy. The Browning X-Bolts also seem to be very accurate. I had a Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 PRC and if let cool for 5 minutes between shots a penny would cover a 3 shot group. The XPR has a slightly heavier barrel than the X-Bolt and it isn't as touchy to heat.

Franchi is owned by the same company, Beretta, that owns Sako and Tikka. I would be shocked if Franchi rifles don’t have some of their DNA.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Franchi is owned by the same company, Beretta, that owns Sako and Tikka. I would be shocked if Franchi rifles don’t have some of their DNA.
They have all of it but the accuracy part. If you are just looking for 200 and under deer killer, they would be fine. But now that you mention it, maybe they got the accuracy also. The Benelli R1 is a super nice semi auto rifle, but they aren't known to be outstandingly accurate.

I personally would not buy another Momentum unless it was used and cheap and I wasn't needing MOA accuracy.

So…The action is a Mauser type like Sako. It is a three lug 60 deg. bolt throw. The trigger is adjustable like the Tikka. The barrel is cold hammer forged with rifling like the Sako and Tikka and I am pretty sure it has an MOA accuracy guarantee, so if your gun won’t shoot moa or better, send it back.

Frankly there are a lot less MOA shooters out there than we realize, so accuracy issues aren’t always the guns fault.

TaylorC

FNG
I picked up this same rifle, for a dedicated deer gun. As it happens I have an antlerless deer and elk tag in the same unit, trying to convince myself this is enough gun. I'd love to find some 150gr ABLR to work up a load, but time restraints being such, I have a box of ELD-M for break in and zero, then a couple boxes each 142gr ABLR and Norma 143gr Bondstrike to see what it likes and go from there. I'll report back. Other options on hand are a bit more weight and recoil than I'd like.

I picked up this same rifle, for a dedicated deer gun. As it happens I have an antlerless deer and elk tag in the same unit, trying to convince myself this is enough gun. I'd love to find some 150gr ABLR to work up a load, but time restraints being such, I have a box of ELD-M for break in and zero, then a couple boxes each 142gr ABLR and Norma 143gr Bondstrike to see what it likes and go from there. I'll report back. Other options on hand are a bit more weight and recoil than I'd like.
More than enough gun. The factory 147gr eldms are awesome on elk.

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Any reviews of the accuracy? I know this is a littler older so I’m sure you either decided to stay with or move away from it by this time.