Free meat

I have a friend that picks up all the antlerless tags he can so he can keep his wheat allergic dog. Just sayin'

Sorry, let the indignation resume...

Don't get me wrong, I've got friends that do this too and have no problem with it. I'm just not handing over my elk to feed my coworkers dog when my dog is getting kibble for dinner, lol. :) One of the really cool things my buddies and I do every year is have a hunter's party at Christmas. My buddy invites everyone he knows that hunts and everyone brings a wild game dish. It's not uncommon to get 20 to 30 hunters and their families showing up with various delicacies. It's always alot of fun. There are people from all walks of life that show up and everyone gets along and has a great time because of the common bond we all share.

Terrapin

WKR
I agree with the ignorant masses that think we want to part with our hard earned protein; however I have made some exceptions for people going thru hard times. Neighbor had a heart attack and his dr suggested elk instead of beef... I fed them all winter.

Thats almost as bad as going to the range and other shooters come up and ask if your going to keep your brass.

I brought some homemade deer jerky to work one time. One guy that tried it spit it out and threw the rest of the stick in the trash, right in front of me!!!! I almost beat his ass. Then when I brought in some bear chili and that same joker came by to get some. I told him to F Off.

when I go home to KY to deer hunt we usually are blessed with a few deer.

My dad usually has a family or two that is in need that we usually give them a couple quartered deer.

I got no problem sharing with others...especially non-hunters...it might lead them to hunting and helping preserve our sport...we need all the support we can gather.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't share my venison. I just run calculations in my head as to whether or not people are "worthy" of being a recipient.

The pushy, entitled and flippant never make the cut. As the freezer gets leaner, standards become more stringent. In August, I turn into Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't share my venison. I just run calculations in my head as to whether or not people are "worthy" of being a recipient.

The pushy, entitled and flippant never make the cut. As the freezer gets leaner, standards become more stringent. In August, I turn into Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

I can relate. I am not judgmental at all but ask for some game meat and I become as judgy as Jehovah's witness.

I usually have quite a bit of extra meat, and if people want it they have to cut it up. That's my least favorite part of the hunt. I have people I know that can use the meat and are willing to do the butchering themselves. I have even harvested animals based on people who I think, may rely on my "extra meat". Feels good to help.

MattB

WKR
I tend to make more meat than my family and I can eat, and am always happy to share it with non-hunters who are interested in trying game meat. Anecdotally, sharing game meat seems to help create a positive image of hunters among the 80% who do not hunt.