Full zip midlayer

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Hey yall,
I'm making some adjustments to my layers after this elk season, and I want to find a new midlayer fleece. I run incredibly cold, and the grid fleece options (like the FL kalamath or Sitka heavy weight) don't offer enough warmth unless I'm really exerting myself (and then I usually just wear my baselayer). For turkeys and elk, I end up doing a lot of walking/sitting/calling, so I want a piece that offers some warmth/wind resistance, while being quiet and slim enough for archery. This September (temps from 80+ down to upper 30s), I used a strongfleece 210 or a Traverse heavyweight hoody as my midlayer. The 210 was ok-I'd have liked a little more warmth, and I found myself hating the pullover design since I had to wrestle my bino harness off and on more than I care too (first world problem, I know). The Traverse hoody worked well. I know it's too much for most folks here as far as warmth, but I lived in it for most of the third week, and the full zip made a world of difference for me.

I'd like to find something in between these pieces as far as warmth, and would much prefer a full zip (half zip that could go on OVER my bino harness would work too). I'm leaning towards fleece for the quietness (I only bow hunt), and would like camo since I need all the help I can get. The Kuiu Strongfleece 275 and Peloton 240 are the pieces I'm most interested in right now. Anyone have either of these who could compare it to the pieces I've tried? I'm open to other suggestions as well (not particularly into the Sitka Ambient-I'm not sure about the durability, esp. at that price).

Appreciate any advice.

saum7

FNG
I brought a Peloton 240 this year for a Elk hunt. I also run cold I don't think the Peloton is the warmest mid layer but it was still great its my go to mid layer now. I think the new strong fleece 290 would suit but I haven't used it.

EdP

WKR
I like my Kuiu Kenai hooded jacket (also comes non-hooded). It packs much smaller than fleece and the fabric is quiet and has some stretch. Paired with a vest, base layer, and fleece shirt, it keeps me warm enough sitting in the mid 30s F.

OP
N

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Kuiu Kenai hooded jacket (also comes non-hooded). It packs much smaller than fleece and the fabric is quiet and has some stretch. Paired with a vest, base layer, and fleece shirt, it keeps me warm enough sitting in the mid 30s F.
The Kenai is interesting too-how is the durability/longevity? I know the face can pile some, that doesn't really concern me. Is it fairly resistant to outright tearing/wearing through? And how does the insulation hold up over time/to compression? I expect it would loose some of its initial warmth, but if it "stabilizes" at some point that wouldn't really bother me (figurine it would start out pretty warm).

WoodBow

WKR
Another vote for ambient.

I have a peloton 250 and it's insulation value is minimal. Same or less than a sitka core heavyweight hoody.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
Beyond clothing aloha aura + ultralight windshirt/wind jacket — I just got one, initial impression is great but I haven’t used it in the field yet.

ahenry82

FNG
The Kenia is a great peice I've had mine close 3 yrs wear it pretty much all fall and winter and just layer on top if really cold it's held up well some pilling but I def dnt take it through a brier patch sheds lite rain good too

EdP

WKR
The Kenai is interesting too-how is the durability/longevity?
The Kenia is a great peice I've had mine close 3 yrs wear it pretty much all fall and winter and just layer on top if really cold it's held up well some pilling but I def dnt take it through a brier patch sheds lite rain good too
My thoughts exactly! Having a piece that is quiet, packs well, and is durable in brush and briars just isn't going to happen. The Kenai is quiet and packs well but a shell garment is needed in the brush. Anything fleece is no different.

ChrisAU

WKR
I’m excited to use the Sitka Arrowhead MDWi Hoody next week in CO. Basically a full zip Sitka Ambient with hand pockets and a 30D face vs 20D. Just barely heavier.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Woolpower full zip jacket in 400 or 600 g weight. It does not come in camo but is an excellent warm mid layer.

Pizza Guy

FNG
Full zip is the way to go. I have the 240 peloton and a 280 strongfleece. I'm guessing the 275 replaced the 280 recently. I prefer the 240. It's one of my favorite pieces. It has very good wind resistance. It will layer over the 200. The sleeves on my strongfleece are tight on the forearms and it's hard to layer anything other than a baselayer underneath it. If you're looking for extra warmth and are interested in the Kenai line, the Kenai vest pairs nicely with the 240.

OP
N

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the responses guys. I see kuiu has a sale on jackets now, so I’m probably way over thinking this. I noticed the rubicon next to the peloton, it’s a few ounces heavier and I know they call it a soft shell, but how would that compare with the 240? Any warmer?

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Hey yall,
I'm making some adjustments to my layers after this elk season, and I want to find a new midlayer fleece. I run incredibly cold, and the grid fleece options (like the FL kalamath or Sitka heavy weight) don't offer enough warmth unless I'm really exerting myself (and then I usually just wear my baselayer). For turkeys and elk, I end up doing a lot of walking/sitting/calling, so I want a piece that offers some warmth/wind resistance, while being quiet and slim enough for archery. This September (temps from 80+ down to upper 30s), I used a strongfleece 210 or a Traverse heavyweight hoody as my midlayer. The 210 was ok-I'd have liked a little more warmth, and I found myself hating the pullover design since I had to wrestle my bino harness off and on more than I care too (first world problem, I know). The Traverse hoody worked well. I know it's too much for most folks here as far as warmth, but I lived in it for most of the third week, and the full zip made a world of difference for me.

I'd like to find something in between these pieces as far as warmth, and would much prefer a full zip (half zip that could go on OVER my bino harness would work too). I'm leaning towards fleece for the quietness (I only bow hunt), and would like camo since I need all the help I can get. The Kuiu Strongfleece 275 and Peloton 240 are the pieces I'm most interested in right now. Anyone have either of these who could compare it to the pieces I've tried? I'm open to other suggestions as well (not particularly into the Sitka Ambient-I'm not sure about the durability, esp. at that price).

Appreciate any advice.
One of my favorite pieces of kit.

Samson7x

WKR
What’s the real world practical difference in the peloton series and strongfleece?

The Kenai is interesting too-how is the durability/longevity? I know the face can pile some, that doesn't really concern me. Is it fairly resistant to outright tearing/wearing through? And how does the insulation hold up over time/to compression? I expect it would loose some of its initial warmth, but if it "stabilizes" at some point that wouldn't really bother me (figurine it would start out pretty warm).
I've had the Kenai for about 2 and a half years. It's basically the only jacket I wear anymore. I wear it everyday for work on a delivery route. In and out of the truck, catching it on boxes, in just all kinds of weather.

It is hands down the best piece of clothing I own. In just a short sleeve compression undershirt and a work polo I can comfortably wear my jacket down to the mid 20s as long as I moving a little. It cuts the majority of the wind so an additional layer isn't necessarily.

I paired it with a cheap softshell vest recently in temps that never got to double digits and a constant 20 mph wind.

I'm convinced it's basically magic at this point.

The outside did get a little rough, but it got the initial piling and no issues other than that. No tears, zippers are still great and I'm definitely not gentle with it anymore. It gets wadded up and stuffed in backpacks, rain and mud constantly, and it just doesn't affect it one bit.

I keep wanting to get a new one just because I'm worried it may go away one day. My only complaint is that above 50 it starts to get warm. But with the pit zips it can easily negate that issue.

I think the only thing that could be a problem for this jacket is a heavy briars or extremely jagged branches. But those are an issue for anything less than a canvas jacket.

Sitka Ambient is the most versatile piece of clothing I own. Extremely warm for the light weight, breathes well, and is full zip unless you want the hoody version.

TX_Diver

WKR
I got down to slightly below zero w/ wind chills wearing a heavyweight merino base layer (black ovis) and a full zip kuiu peloton 240 this season (along with long johns, kuiu guide pants, and a warm balaclava and hat). That was with mild-ish exertion. With medium to heavy exertion going uphills I would start to sweat (windchills those days were around 10 to 20 degrees).

To stay warm sitting I had to put on the puffy jacket and also change my socks to a dry pair.

I am a big fan of the peloton 240 though and have used it for a few years now.

I will toss in another vote for Sitka ambient and similar pieces as midlayers. For their weight, I find them warmer than grid fleece and nearly as flexible. Depending on the face fabric, they still block wind while breathing well and moving sweat.

I didn't think the kuiu peloton 240 was very warm and returned it. I think you want the fullzip sitka Ambient hoody.