Game bird Mounts

TSAMP

WKR
Another thread inspired this. Whenever I see a bird mount I stop and admire it. I'm sure there are some folks with them lining their walls here. Let's see them!

KurtR

WKR
Speck I got done. Little story behind it was the last place my yellow dog retrieved a duck and two years later had a single speck come in as we were getting ready to go. It sailed off and Banks made about a 200 yds blind retrieve on it that i didnt think there was any chance. Figured Cedar was helping out from the happy hunting grounds.

speck.jpg

cedar2.jpgbanks truck.jpg

I have another ruffed grouse at the taxidermist with a strutting pose
28ceefd79e50e4265b4584d0fab404f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
i've got mine and my dog's first ever pheasant i'm wanting to get mounted. I'm going with a standing pose but what are everyone's opinions on the tail feathers? i've seen everything from 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock and the one above seems to be about 4 o'clock.

i've got mine and my dog's first ever pheasant i'm wanting to get mounted. I'm going with a standing pose but what are everyone's opinions on the tail feathers? i've seen everything from 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock and the one above seems to be about 4 o'clock.
I would say depending on the mount type. Standing on the ground base habitat I would do 1 or 2. Up on a limb 3 or 4

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Pintail - because they are so handsome:
View attachment 651967

Wood duck - because they are almost just as handsome:
View attachment 651968
I have always wanted a pinny on the wall. About 5-6 years ago, closing day we had a beautiful one come in. Perfect shape and color. I saw it coming in with the flock of mallards. I was the farthest right blind and they were coming in from my side. We always put the shot caller in the middle. I waited for the shot to be called and one of the guys a couple blinds to the left saw it, sat up and shot it before the shot was called. I was so pissed.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I have always wanted a pinny on the wall. ....sat up and shot it before the shot was called. I was so pissed.
Bummer! Used to shoot lots when I was growing up - they were only 10 point birds back then with a limit of 100 points total....
This was a solo hunt from about 15 years ago, public WMA; slow day with few birds. This guy did the pintail thing circling forever; he was the only one doing the circles. A couple of other hunters were walking out and stopped to watch; I was letting him work thinking he would land in my dekes. The guys started yelling SHOOT THAT BIRD! SHOOT IT! SHOOT ALREADY! The bird was coming right to left and after they were yelling he started making for the next county so I took the shot - golden BB to the heart; glided a bit then fell from the sky. The guys were cheering like crazy - kind of pissed me off but whatever. Only one mark on the bird as the pellet passed through the wing to find it's mark! I used to not see many here in Oregon so decided this one was the one.
The best/coolest mount I ever saw was a guy that had at least 10-15 drakes all in various flying positions; they were set up on a long dead tree limb with room for him to add more. That thing was probably 10-feet or so of mounted 'live' birds - looked like a group all dipsy-diving into decoys wingtip to wingtip.
I had a great pintail on the wall for years. Apparently it was hung too low because my lab puppy I had was able to jump up the wall and pull him down- he was shredded when I found him.
I have heard of this more than just few times!

Rich M

WKR
I have always wanted a pinny on the wall. About 5-6 years ago, closing day we had a beautiful one come in. Perfect shape and color. I saw it coming in with the flock of mallards. I was the farthest right blind and they were coming in from my side. We always put the shot caller in the middle. I waited for the shot to be called and one of the guys a couple blinds to the left saw it, sat up and shot it before the shot was called. I was so pissed.

I don't do well when folks break rank. It is a safety thing and more.

Had a flock of about 60 mallards working the decoys, they had just come down and about landed, couple birds in the decoys and would commit on the next pass - new guy starts shooting at them on the outside of the swing. That was about 25 years ago and has never happened since.

Bummer! Used to shoot lots when I was growing up - they were only 10 point birds back then with a limit of 100 points total....
This was a solo hunt from about 15 years ago, public WMA; slow day with few birds. This guy did the pintail thing circling forever; he was the only one doing the circles. A couple of other hunters were walking out and stopped to watch; I was letting him work thinking he would land in my dekes. The guys started yelling SHOOT THAT BIRD! SHOOT IT! SHOOT ALREADY! The bird was coming right to left and after they were yelling he started making for the next county so I took the shot - golden BB to the heart; glided a bit then fell from the sky. The guys were cheering like crazy - kind of pissed me off but whatever. Only one mark on the bird as the pellet passed through the wing to find it's mark! I used to not see many here in Oregon so decided this one was the one.
The best/coolest mount I ever saw was a guy that had at least 10-15 drakes all in various flying positions; they were set up on a long dead tree limb with room for him to add more. That thing was probably 10-feet or so of mounted 'live' birds - looked like a group all dipsy-diving into decoys wingtip to wingtip.

I have heard of this more than just few times!

My dad used to love to watch them do their thing, we'd watch em circle and cicle - down from the stratosphere. Last one I saw in range was about 10 years ago, trying to get uncle to shoot him at about 20 yards, hoped for another pass and it went off.

Seen some pins and widgeon at refuge the other day, more than I've seen in years but the overall duck success at the refuge is low this year. Lotsa bluebills as always tho. We didn't get a permit and haven't been hunting at all.