Game Warden Job Listing

OP
Westhunt

Westhunt

FNG
Thank goodness Utah still has a few passionate employees as westhunt seems to be.
With the wages they pay they are turning into nothing more than an opportunity for a couple years experience for people to move to the feds.
Unfortunately you are correct, we see a lot of young people come to the job for a few years until the bills add up and they have to move to greener pastures. Some people are more fortunate that have a sugar mamma or a trust fund. I was a welder for years before I made the switch. I made a lot more welding than I do as a CO. But I don't do it for the money, it's what I love to do. We're always trying to get more money and hopefully keep officers around longer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Westhunt

Westhunt

FNG
What’s the benefit package in addition to the salary?

Typically in these state jobs you can add 30% to the wage with the benefits
Benefits are pretty good, LE retirement with a pension after 25 years. Pretty good health and dental. State and federal holidays, more PTO than you can stand. Take home vehicle and your shift starts when you leave the driveway. Not to mention the job itself is pretty incredible.

CorbLand

WKR

I have looked around and I will say the state of Utah has pretty incredible benefits for its employees.

Marble

WKR
I work part time for a county agency as a paramedic making $18.00 an hour. Been there over 20 years.
Full time make $20.00 maybe $21.00.
They would love to make $24.00.
I make $33.00 as a nurse and hold a bachelors degree. Reading some of the posts here, Im definitely in the wrong line of work.
There are places as an RN that you could triple your salary. Traveling nurses for starters and anything with a special certification. Might require a move. But it's all relative.

Thank you for doing what you do. I've had cancer 3 times (2 that were serious) and nurses are the ones that made me have a successful outcome.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Reactions: lif

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yes. But you cherry picked and left out the part where I said what I make now. And I make less than what you would coming out of the academy. I would say in depends on where you live. $50k a yr would get you by fine in some places and not so in others
Can you get by anywhere on 50k these days?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I work part time for a county agency as a paramedic making $18.00 an hour. Been there over 20 years.
Full time make $20.00 maybe $21.00.
They would love to make $24.00.
I make $33.00 as a nurse and hold a bachelors degree. Reading some of the posts here, Im definitely in the wrong line of work.
Or the wrong place. My wife is making more like 90.00/hour as a nurse.

sasquatch

WKR

People hardly ever even consider that side of it. Tunnel vision, a lot of why people make good money and are poorer for it. All they care about is monthly payments, who cares if it’s for 100 months right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sasquatch

WKR
Can you get by anywhere on 50k these days?

Yes. But not when every person in the house needs new phones every year on payment plans, new vehicles every 3 years going upside down, having 1 kid and needing 2500 sq Ft minimum house, not swinging through a fancy coffee shop every day spending $7.

Just to make a few

TheTone

WKR
To those talking about the pay; I’d guess the pay grades are fully set by legislators. I’m not necessarily a big government guy but voting has consequences. When you continually elect self serving anti government spending types this can be a result

OP
Westhunt

Westhunt

FNG
To those talking about the pay; I’d guess the pay grades are fully set by legislators. I’m not necessarily a big government guy but voting has consequences. When you continually elect self serving anti government spending types this can be a result
I can't speak for all states, but for Utah game wardens we are mostly internally funded. Licenses sales and pitman Robertson are the bulk of the DWR funding. We get a small percentage from the general fund, but mostly self funded. This keeps most non-wildlife people off the voting table. But it also restricts our ability to fund projects and pay a competitive wage.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. But not when every person in the house needs new phones every year on payment plans, new vehicles every 3 years going upside down, having 1 kid and needing 2500 sq Ft minimum house, not swinging through a fancy coffee shop every day spending $7.

Just to make a few

Too much dang avocado toast

Yup. Our school bus drivers get $24.00 hour to start.
One guy here gets a bull elk every year and always a nice buck because he is out driving early and late everyday. Most farmers and land owners know him and it’s hard to turn down a bus driver asking permission to hunt because he does it for the kids.

go_deep

WKR
This is starting wage, plus there's lots of opportunities for OT in a position like this. Get to take your truck home, also saves money. Great benefits package on top of it all, this job is not actually that bad. Not like the posting says you'll make $24 an hour forever.
That's what America was built on, get an opportunity, show them your worth a damn and either they reward you for it, or someone else somewhere else will.

Quick search shows 163 rentals available in Salt Lake City for $1k or less.

Screenshot_20231109-073250.png

OP
Westhunt

Westhunt

FNG
This is starting wage, plus there's lots of opportunities for OT in a position like this. Get to take your truck home, also saves money. Great benefits package on top of it all, this job is not actually that bad. Not like the posting says you'll make $24 an hour forever.
That's what America was built on, get an opportunity, show them your worth a damn and either they reward you for it, or someone else somewhere else will.

Quick search shows 163 rentals available in Salt Lake City for $1k or less.

View attachment 624830
We don't get paid over time, but we can get comp time (pto at time and a half) but yes 24 is the starting wage. After the police academy and FTO you'll make about $27.50

Bingo!

Off the top off my head, anyone I have talked to severely undervalues the benefit package, especially when they have a pension.

So this job after police academy and FTO is is $27.50 per hour. With a 40 hour work week, that’s a starting wage of $57200 per year in a new career for someone.

What is so terrible about a job that starts you at $57200 per year?

Add the value of a medical plan. That could probably be worth $10,000-$12,000 per year easy

That has it at $67200 per year

If it has a pension with retirement after 25 years, that is extremely valuable.

Most pensions I have looked at, a guy with no pension would need a 401k with 1-2million he saved up OUT of his pay check to match the pension plan

CorbLand

WKR
You ever worked for the Government? Thats not the way it works. Your reward for doing a good job is someone elses job. So then you leave and someone less competent gets in the job and sits because they cant go anywhere. Its why Government employees suck. The good ones get pushed out and the bad ones get rewarded.

OP
Westhunt

Westhunt

FNG
You ever worked for the Government? Thats not the way it works. Your reward for doing a good job is someone elses job. So then you leave and someone less competent gets in the job and sits because they cant go anywhere. Its why Government employees suck. The good ones get pushed out and the bad ones get rewarded.
I don't know who you are, but you've definitely worked for the government before. I've worked for federal and state government, and you are spot on!