Gear and tips for father/daughter guided scenic tour in BC

fwafwow

WKR
Apologies for the long post. This isn't a hunting trip. In early August my daughter (she's 25) and I will be traveling to Seattle then Vancouver to start a 5 day guided tour that will go through Blue River, Jasper, Banff and Revelstoke before ending back in Vancouver. So a new trip/adventure means a new rabbit hole/possible waste of time for me to think of what I can bring, but hopefully I can be rational and not bring unneeded stuff. The tour includes transportation (no need for backpacks), some meals and a hotel stay in a town every night, so many RS members will recoil. But it's what is needed to get my daughter out there.

Any feedback on these or other thoughts is most appreciated.
  1. dSLR camera - I pretty much have ruled this out. If I take the body, then I'd have to take a lens, then another, then batteries, charger, etc. I am thinking our phones will be fine.
  2. Binos - I have Swaro EL 8.5x42 (maybe too big), Kowa 6.5x32 (perhaps perfect) and older Tract 8x42 (wouldn't cry if lost). This is where I started thinking RS could help, as binos would be cool - but do I really need them to enjoy the scenery?
  3. Emergency stuff-
    • no gun, blade or broadheads, so I probably don't need even my tiny Snakestaff TQ, but I'm taking it and at least a boo boo kit. I figure the tour company has some stuff, but I know me and will want at least the basics.
    • I expect communication won't be an issue, but my Garmin inReach Mini is so small - why not take it?
    • And to demonstrate more paranoia, I'm strongly considering the CAP Travel medical evac, etc. insurance - $79
    • WSJ article today prompted me to look into an eSIM for my phone
  4. Other-
    • I haven't looked at early Aug weather, so no idea about possible rain gear.
    • Any recommendations outside of gear welcome - like "You need to try a pint at the Krusty Krab Pub in Banff"
I believe our main luggage will typically be out of reach (in the luggage compartment under the bus), so whatever is on my list needs to fit in a small pack (🤔 hmm - maybe a daypack thread is in order...). I don't want to fret over that bag so that it impedes the trip, but I also don't want to be asking the guide for AD meds if something comes up (hence the boo boo).

A legitimate reply could also include - you have problems, you are thinking too much, just sit back and be a normal tourist!

Last edited:

Decker9

WKR
Sorry I’m not a lot of help, but I’d definitely bring binos if you can squeeze them in. Lived in BC my whole life but never been to those places, I do know they’re pretty spectacular for mountain scenery and game though.

Depending on if you’ll be doing much outdoor stuff, bug net’s may make the days more enjoyable, especially for your kiddo if she’s still young. Up here in northern BC the mosquito herds can get pretty thick.

Have a blast!!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Sorry I’m not a lot of help, but I’d definitely bring binos if you can squeeze them in. Lived in BC my whole life but never been to those places, I do know they’re pretty spectacular for mountain scenery and game though.

Depending on if you’ll be doing much outdoor stuff, bug net’s may make the days more enjoyable, especially for your kiddo if she’s still young. Up here in northern BC the mosquito herds can get pretty thick.

Have a blast!!
Thanks for the bug net tip! I have a set and could get another for her. I also updated the post to mention she's 25, so we can enjoy pints together.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
A small backpack with some essentials is definitely not a bad idea... mountains are still mountains even when you are a tourist. I would definitely bring binos... lots of bighorns, goats, elk, bears to see in that area. I can't help really on which places to have a pint as Ive only traveled thru these placed on my way elsewhere. But Im pretty sure that there are quite a few microbreweries in this area so you shouldn't have a problem finding something wet and refreshing. Enjoy!

Okhotnik

WKR
use wi fi for you phone usage. as mentioned good binos, small back pack. there are some fun easy hikes where you are traveling.

Rich M

WKR
I got nothin’. Go and have a trip of a lifetime.

By all means get her some glass, figure out a fun nippy drink for around the campfire, and maybe some kind of thoutful treats along the way.

You get the dad of the year award!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I got nothin’. Go and have a trip of a lifetime.

By all means get her some glass, figure out a fun nippy drink for around the campfire, and maybe some kind of thoutful treats along the way.

You get the dad of the year award!
Thank you sir. I might "get" her my Kowas, but then what do I replace them with?

I can't claim dad of the year. My daughter wanted to go on a solo trip, but my wife convinced her not to travel alone. Mom didn't want to go to Canada and said this one is mine and next one is a beach trip for them. But I plan to crash that party.

Wapiti1

WKR
Binocs for all is the right way to go. Some 8X30's would be my choice. How much you want to spend on them is up to you. It sucks to be the person waiting on binocs. Maybe get something in the mid range and give them to her? If she is into travel.

I would also take a camera that isn't a phone. Compact travel zoom like one of the Panasonic or Sony point and shoot zoom cameras. Phones do fine with landscapes and people. Animals and specific scenery, not so much. I find them too limiting.

Light rain jacket, but I wouldn't take pants.

Bug repellant in the 100% DEET category. After the mosquitoes suck you dry the deer flies reduce your carcass to bones.

Have fun. It's been a while since I was up that way. We used to get up there every summer when I was a kid.

Jeremy

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Binocs for all is the right way to go. Some 8X30's would be my choice. How much you want to spend on them is up to you. It sucks to be the person waiting on binocs. Maybe get something in the mid range and give them to her? If she is into travel.

I would also take a camera that isn't a phone. Compact travel zoom like one of the Panasonic or Sony point and shoot zoom cameras. Phones do fine with landscapes and people. Animals and specific scenery, not so much. I find them too limiting.

Light rain jacket, but I wouldn't take pants.

Bug repellant in the 100% DEET category. After the mosquitoes suck you dry the deer flies reduce your carcass to bones.

Have fun. It's been a while since I was up that way. We used to get up there every summer when I was a kid.

Jeremy
Thanks. I'm now convinced of the additional pair of binos - and will post in the optics forum. Making it a gift is a good idea, especially if she takes it with her going forward.

Also a good suggestion on the other items. As for the camera - I will look into the Panasonic and Sony versions, but welcome any models, or any others.

BBob

WKR
Ha! A powder highway trip! Love it! Most definitely take binoculars. I’d take a light rain jacket or something with good DWR as it most certainly can rain in august up there. I know it’s rained on me at that time. Picardin for bugs. Sometimes they are really bad. Lake Louise is astounding, the color has to be seen to be believed and the glaciated peaks and valleys above are almost as good. There can be whipping snow storms going on up high in the mountains while you are in the valleys watching from below. Don’t be surprised if you see skiers or snowboarders coming down the trail after a day up on the glacier. The Canadian Rockies are spectacular so no doubt you will enjoy yourself. :)

Oh, these are what goes with me when I’m touristing 😀

IMG_1074.jpeg

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Personally, I think a DSLR or mirrorless camera with a 20-70 and a 70-200 lense is worth it. Cell phone cameras cannot produce the same quality. But, it really depends. I rarely take pictures and don't give consideration to them. My wife takes a ton of pictures. If you value pictures, a good camera is worth it. If you don't want to view the trip through a lense or on a 6 inch screen, then don't worry about it.

Bring the Tracts and the Kowas. If you are checking a bag then bring a practical multi tool. If not they make useful TSA approved multi tools. Bring an IFAK (it’s not the odds it’s the stakes that matter) and spring for the extra insurance. OR Helium rain shell is only 8oz. Enjoy your trip! Take lots of pictures, make more memories!

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks. I'm now convinced of the additional pair of binos - and will post in the optics forum. Making it a gift is a good idea, especially if she takes it with her going forward.

Also a good suggestion on the other items. As for the camera - I will look into the Panasonic and Sony versions, but welcome any models, or any others.
Best sensor: Pana ZS200, Sony RX100 VI (for some reason they went up in price). I have both of these, and they are the best travel zooms, IMO. They go hunting, fishing and hiking with me when space and size is a concern. Or I just want a camera, but don't want to take a backpack with. Only downside is battery life, but not a problem if you are staying in a hotel every night.

Great camera, smaller sensor: Sony HX99, Pana ZS80K. If you want to save a few bucks, the Pana ZS50 or 70 are also solid, and can be had for $350 or a bit less.

Jeremy

Drenalin

WKR
7s3vu7.jpg