Getting back at it after Med school

Hey everyone,
After a 12 year hiatus from big game hunting and archery I’m trying to make my way back. I’m doing my Orthopedic surgery residency in New Mexico and couldn’t be happier to be out west and close to the mountains.

Im excited to join this forum as I try to put together the gear and skills I’ll need to be a successful back country hunter.
Thanks for having me!

Awesome man. I’ve hunted more during residency than I did in college and med school. Might be a little tougher in a surgical specialty but nothing stopping you from getting after it on your one day off a week!

OP
H
Awesome man. I’ve hunted more during residency than I did in college and med school. Might be a little tougher in a surgical specialty but nothing stopping you from getting after it on your one day off a week!
Hey now, every once in a while we get a golden weekend haha. Thanks for the encouragement, I can’t wait to get started this year.

Congrats! My dad is a retired ortho. It was a rewarding career, both financially and personally for him, but demanding as well. Not everybody can make it to med school, and of those even fewer can make it in ortho.

Don’t forget to make time for you and your family along the way.😉

Happy hunting!

OP
H
Congrats! My dad is a retired ortho. It was a rewarding career, both financially and personally for him, but demanding as well. Not everybody can make it to med school, and of those even fewer can make it in ortho.

Don’t forget to make time for you and your family along the way.😉

Happy hunting!
Thank you for you kind words. It definitely was a dream come true. It is challenging to make time for me and my family but I’m determined to make it work, starting with getting the family outdoors as much as I can.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with your training! It goes by faster than you think. I finished my ortho residency in 2013 followed up by two fellowships. Can’t say it’s easy to find time to hunt during training but it is manageable. Just have to make sure you make it a priority once you start practice to do the things you want to do. I have never regretted any of the hunts I have done even the unsuccessful ones, it just drives me more to be a better hunter.

Fatcamp

WKR
That's cool. Good luck with making time for you.

I'm an OR circulator, some of our ortho docs are beasts. They work so many cases.

bushman76

FNG
Hey everyone,
After a 12 year hiatus from big game hunting and archery I’m trying to make my way back. I’m doing my Orthopedic surgery residency in New Mexico and couldn’t be happier to be out west and close to the mountains.

Im excited to join this forum as I try to put together the gear and skills I’ll need to be a successful back country hunter.
Thanks for having me!
So happy for you mate. Welcome back to the life. Cheers!

OP
H
Good luck with your training! It goes by faster than you think. I finished my ortho residency in 2013 followed up by two fellowships. Can’t say it’s easy to find time to hunt during training but it is manageable. Just have to make sure you make it a priority once you start practice to do the things you want to do. I have never regretted any of the hunts I have done even the unsuccessful ones, it just drives me more to be a better hunter.
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice and encouragement. I’m committed to keeping the outdoors a part of my life from here on, especially once I’m an attending!