Goat Hunt Opportunity in BC

OP
L

Longbow42

FNG
It was a tremendous adventure. Toughest thing I ever did and that includes playing pro ball. First, the scenery is just spectacular. I had two NZ guides, both under 22 years old. They were awesome and kept me alive. We were able to hike to the last mountain in the RM range, across where they thought goats might be. It took three very tough days to hike there, thought I might not make it but kept pushing. When we finally made it above the tree line, it was like being on top of the world and I could see forever. We spotted a billy when we got on top and planned/hoped to make it there the next day. It was very steep and we had to back track a few times in order to make it to the river, which separated the second mountain and the mountain the goat was on.. It was also good to get some water as there was none available on our hike, except what we packed. We quickly dropped our stuff where we would camp the next few nights by the river. It was Labor Day, but I never gave it much thought. We started the climb up and got out of the timber some. It was so steep, I was a little worried to say the least. Had to climb up on the shingles and would slide down some after every step. The bully was still there in his throne ledge. Guides believe that he never saw a human before and just watched us as we struggled to get closer. My heart was pounding and I was nervous that he would spook. I missed a long shot straight up, while sliding on the rocks. I was bummed obviously and quickly relived the stalk and shot many times. We made it back to camp and I was depressed. Went back up the next morning and located him again, except he was much higher. Guides said lets go, but I was a little scared, ok, I was crapping in my pants as it was a very steep, rocky climb to get closer. I tried not to look down, but it was hard. The scenery was just breath taking. We got within 35 yds and I nicked an arrow. I was just about ready to draw, but he jumped up and scurried across the rock face. Those animals are just unbelievable. I could not comprehend how he just ran across a rock face like he was on a trail. Anyway, that was it as far as my hunt. Had to now make it back to camp, which was a good three day hike up over three mountains. It was a tremendous adventure and I am glad that I made it to the area that no one had gone before according to the guides. There were no trails. While I did not harvest a goat, I feel that it was an extremely successful hunt and very proud I made it through at 53 years of age.

Last edited: