Grizzly delisting hearing

WKR
Seems like a logical way to manage the population of grizzlies. Maybe this bill will go somewhere in the current house of reps.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Until some judge in Missoula overrules all the agencies based on his bias and wallet position... Sounds familiar..

ianpadron

WKR
I usually like to avoid conjecture and hearsay, but just across the border in MT, I was told by a FWP employee in the know, that a legitimate de-listing and subsequent grizz hunt was at most a few years out. Working out the kinks of bulletproofing the language to avoid the environmental litigators/parasites in Missoula and Helena.

Deadfall

WKR
I usually like to avoid conjecture and hearsay, but just across the border in MT, I was told by a FWP employee in the know, that a legitimate de-listing and subsequent grizz hunt was at most a few years out. Working out the kinks of bulletproofing the language to avoid the environmental litigators/parasites in Missoula and Helena.
Sure feels that way.

7mm-08

WKR
A few years ago, I actually applied for an Idaho grizzly hunt that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game had scheduled. It doesn't appear that opportunity will present itself in the near future.

Who woulda thunk MT and ID politicians pandering on shootin more wolves would backfire..

Servheen, who ran the USFWS grizzly recovery program for decades, said he initially trusted the states and favored delisting. But he’s since been disheartened by especially heavy-handed wolf killing in Idaho and Montana and worries that states would be equally gung-ho about killing grizzly bears.

I bet that actually has zero to do with their opinion. They know if populations dip to low they go back on ESA listing. Theatrics at best

With who's opinion?

Politicians making laws to to kill more controversial predators beyond what the wildlife agency tasked with managing them sees as the best path is a bad look for anyone trying to convince those on the fence that the state will be good stewards in the case of a delisting. To say it doesn't matter (in the court of public opinion) if the states manage them irresponsibly because they'll be relisted before the state kills em all doesn't make sense.

I bet that actually has zero to do with their opinion. They know if populations dip to low they go back on ESA listing. Theatrics at best

I believe what Wind Gypsy was saying, is that radical right-wing politicians and their radical agendas that promote overreaching legislative actions pertaining to wolf predation control, worked in an adverse way toward the delisting of grizzly bears in the NRE.

With who's opinion?

Politicians making laws to to kill more controversial predators beyond what the wildlife agency tasked with managing them sees as the best path is a bad look for anyone trying to convince those on the fence that the state will be good stewards in the case of a delisting. To say it doesn't matter (in the court of public opinion) if the states manage them irresponsibly because they'll be relisted before the state kills em all doesn't make sense.
look I get he worked his arse off on recovery efforts but Idaho or MT politics around wolf control have not dipped the populations to any concerning levels. They are still struggling to slow growth thus new means and methods.

its black and white on population numbers. Drop below the yellow line Feds take over.

Last edited:
I believe what Wind Gypsy was saying, is that radical right-wing politicians and their radical agendas that promote overreaching legislative actions pertaining to wolf predation control, worked in an adverse way toward the delisting of grizzly bears in the NRE.
I under stand that but what has the been actual numbers impacts of wolves in both states since a change in means and methods?

22 was the first year that wolves population est actually went down in Idaho, 2 decades.

Something had to be done to stop the continuing population explosions. Thats the whole point.

if you have too many deer, you up tags, lower means restriction and lengthen season. Once you get back to a more manageable populations you reverse course.

You open up a hunting season its to maintain a population to a certain level, Not to just slow growth by 5%

I under stand that but What have been actual numbers impacts of wolves in both states since a change in means and methods?

22 was the first year that wolves population est actually went down in Idaho, 2 decades.

Something had to be done to stop the continuing population explosions. Thats whole point.

if you have too many deer, you up tags, lower means restriction and lengthen season. Once you get back to a more manageable populations you reverse course.

Current population numbers really don't matter. They're merely a political talking point. What actually matters in the delisting process, are the visuals. The visuals coming from the right, in relation to wolf management, are certainly NOT helping the grizzly bear delisting process.

look I get he worked his arse off on recovery efforts but Idaho or MT politics around wolf control have not dipped the populations to any concerning levels. They are still struggling to slow growth with new means and methods.

its black and white on population numbers. Drop below the yellow line Feds take over.

Agree with you completely on the actual impacts and numbers, part of why i consider it political pandering. Unfortunately, reality and public perception are two different things.

Based on how politics have gotten into wildlife management decisions, they've weakened our once very strong argument that the wildlife professionals at the wildlife agencies would manage for sustainability using science.

Current population numbers really don't matter. They're merely a political talking point. What actually matters in the delisting process, are the visuals. The visuals coming from the right, in relation to wolf management, are certainly NOT helping the grizzly bear delisting process.

you are right Idaho should have 8k wolves by 2030…. No reason to stop wolf growth

Its a blk and white subject. The line is drawn. Touch that line Feds step in.. again

I disagree with stopping or decreasing wolf management for optics.

you are right Idaho should have 8k wolves by 2030…. No reason to stop wolf growth

Its a blk and white subject. The line is drawn. Touch that line Feds step in.. again

Whether they do or not, is beside the point and is merely worthless political rhetoric/hyperbole in the science-based effort to delist grizzlies in the NRE.