Group size at long distance

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
I have really enjoyed practicing out to 100 yards, I can't believe in all the years of shooting bows it has taken me this long to throw arrows far. That said no one else I know shoots that far so I have no comparison as to what I should be able to do at that distance. What kind of group is expected with a well tuned bow and a decent shooter form?

I would guess that in my average 5 shot arrow group, 4 will land in a paper plate and 1 will be out. My bow is tuned well enough that my bare shaft is hitting with field tips at 20 yards and my fixed blade broadheads are dead on with my field tips to 50 yards (haven't shot them further but I would guess they will begin to drop off). So, I'm trying to figure out if I have a tuning issue at 100 or a LOFT issue.

I don't plan to hunt at that distance just really enjoy shooting out there.

ebdadd9a2156899e39b1e22c147790c2.jpg
51a024ccbb91e68d9ea283adc8e81542.jpg

Here’s a couple field points from 110 yards. The arrows to the left were after the wind picked up right to left. Also depends on the day and how good you are feeling your shot process etc. I’ve shot worse and will get a poorly executed shot or two every so often no matter the distance (60-150). If your bow is tuned there isn’t much holding you back except maybe the wind. Take it all in stride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f2d19866bde7003b301b4cc3490e413e.jpg

Here’s some from 145 yards on a different day. First two were poorly executed and last two were good for me. You should have an idea of where arrow is going when the shot breaks based on your perceived level of execution.

In the process of developing a new type of 3D printed arrow fletching I am always tinkering with, I did some testing at 80 and 90 yards and videoed the shots. I dont have a 90 yard pin so I was holding over for those shots. I strive for a 6 inch impact zone at longer distances but even the slighted hicup in form will create a flyer outside of the 6 inches. I lone long range shooting as it really forces you to be on your game and form and release and follow through have to be flawless.

[video=youtube;BDlNQgND49A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDlNQgND49A&list=UUrDKSMxGGaa59V0uZPABJ6Q&index=88[/video]

View attachment 69535

This was a 90 yard group, I may have still been setting up the sight so it was off a little. I would say that this is a decent group for me at this distance. I do have a good idea of where the arrow is gonna hit the second I release.

View attachment 69535

This was a 90 yard group, I may have still been setting up the sight so it was off a little. I would say that this is a decent group for me at this distance. I do have a good idea of where the arrow is gonna hit the second I release.

Picture won’t load. Also keep in mind it’s something that will get better the more you practice. When I first started back to shooting long range again this year it took me a couple sessions to get close to where I was last year. Still not completely there yet, but not close to time I put in last year yet either.

Oh no, here we go with the internet shooters that can outshoot the pros...../grin, kidding. Some good shooting OP....

My take;
When you start shooting very good like that but then have one flyer....its crucial you number and test it again to see if its the arrow.

Spine consistency can play a part...as can imperfect arrow assembly.

Many guys can't shoot well enough [ie, sub 1" per 10 yds] to realize they have a problem. Heck, most guys don't bother to BH tune.....but ASSUME their BH shoots like their FP's...

Sure......they will....if you tune for it.

Haha that was a good group for me. It just happens to be the only one I took a picture of, haha didnt photo capture my not so good groups. Yea I keep wanting to check the arrows that fly out but I always forget to mark them. I need to just go ahead uniquely number each one.

Back