Handgun while hunting

Jon_G

WKR
Does anyone carry a handgun on them for extra protection? I'm getting into bow hunting and I don't want to be the only idiot with a handgun. If so, is it even legal in CA?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I carry a 454, but I also hunt in brown bear country. When in areas without browns, I leave it because I'm a weight weenie.

No help at all on CA laws. No help regarding protection from critters that walk on 2 legs either.

I have carried a 9mm the past 2 seasons bow hunting. Probably won’t this year, it’s more of a nuisance than anything

MattB

WKR
Not unless I hunt where there are brown/grizzly bears (e.g. not in CA). I've always had the perspective that if I am bowhunting with the expectation of killing an animal with an arrow, my bow is weapon enough.

Not sure of current CA regulations, but I thought you used to need a CCW to carry during archery seasons.

I carry my 9mm bowhunting, and sometimes during rifle. Been followed out of the woods a couple times over the years (wolves I’m pretty sure)

I went from a glock 20 to a Springfield hellcat, and I really like that little pistol for woods carry. I didn’t carry a pistol in the woods for a long time, my attitude was “why?” The woods have always felt safe to me, but after a few scenarios, my thought process changed to “why not?” And I have no reason to not have a pistol on me.

Ultimately the decision is yours. I don’t plan on my pistol ever saving my life in the woods, but I also can’t think of a reason to not carry it. Even my Glock 20 was forgotten about on my hip belt, the hellcat is even easier to carry and is really easy to shoot well… I don’t know if it was on purpose or not, but the balance of that little pistol is really good, and the trigger is much better than factory glock triggers.

I wouldn’t try talking anyone into or out of carrying a sidearm in the woods, I don’t feel strongly about it either way, but I will always carry one, because there is no downside to me. If you carry, make sure you shoot it a lot, and drawing it however you carry it, might as well make it as useful as possible if you’re going to carry it

TripleJ

WKR
For most of my life, I never even considered carrying one here in Oregon while bowhunting. After a few up and close experiences with bears and cougars, I now pack a G20 on my pack belt. It's probably more for my wife's peace of mind then mine. Anymore, I feel like it's more likely to have to deal with 2-legged predators than 4. Totally legal here (for now), I don't know anything about legality in California.

crich

WKR
I carry a handgun literally everywhere it is legal for me to do so. Not that Im paranoid or some crazy extreme right winger but you don't need one until you do. Im not going to be a statistic even if the chances are 1/1M. Speaking in regards to 2 legged and 4 legged critters.

I carry a Springfield XD-M 10MM when solo archery hunting/camping in areas with lots of moose or black bears.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry a pistol while archery hunting out of state. My 4" 629 44 if brown bears are around or my 3" 357 if lions are around. Being a CA resident even with my CCW you can't carry a pistol during archery season here

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya. Gonna try a Gcode holster this year so I can move it between my pack and belt.

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't ever need it in Italy unless i went hunting where we have brown bears.. our wolves are much smaller than american ones so the handgun would be useful only when sleeping in a tent in bear country or as a backup for bears. Unfortunately here is illegal to bring an handgun around while hunting so

grfox92

WKR
I've been charged by a griz 2 years in a row now. I will never not have a pistol on me out in the field.

In non grizz areas I carry a Hellcat, in Grizzland I carry a SAR 9 full sized with 17+1. A 10mm is in my future, just not priority right now. The 9 will suffice.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Maki35

WKR
That reminds me of a video I saw on YT...

Title read:
Mountain Lion stalks elk hunter in Idaho.

Last edited:

MT-Native

FNG
Yes always Carry a glock 20 or 40 10mm. I’m in Griz country however.

Commyfornia you can still carry on forest service and BLM land. However, know laws on vehicle transport as you could get locked up for not separating mags/ammo from gun, lockable cases and all that BS.