Hanging Steel Targets

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
What material have you had the most success with hanging steel targets? I’ve been using small rolls of “anti fatigue” rubber mat cut into strips and 1/2” rebar to make the stand.

I don’t anticipate the rubber that I’m using lasting very long. Looking for ideas on what else to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strips made from conveyor belt, tires, or nylon construction chokers. They can be shot up and will continue to hold till the last thread. Any non reinforced material or chains aren't even worth the time and effort. If you're not planning on using more than a couple steel targets you can buy pre made hangers made from belted rubber online. They are not very expensive. But if you're planning on building a shooting range with a lot of targets you'll be better off sourcing your own material.

We use cargo straps or belting. Chains and anything else made of steel are toast on your first miss.

3rd for the used fire hose. It holds up well to being shot and lasts a really long time out in the elements.

I bolt some 3/16-1/4” thick angle to the back of the target, then weld a 1/4” thick x 2” square tube coming off the bottom of that with a bolt on the backside. This slips over a t post and you can set your height with the bolt. Some places I shoot have rolling hills and I’ll setup/takedown targets when I shoot so I need to be ready for different scenarios hence the height adjustment.

I made a portable stand that is compatible for a steel disc as well as something I can put paper on plywood. Its definitely been hit a few times but its lasted almost 18 years and will be able o go for quite a while longer.

Attachments

• Target 1.jpg
    Target 1.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Target 2.jpg
    Target 2.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 41
Thats what I use for my quick setup Pistol range. (I don't shoot them with a rifle)

Those brackets get bent over time...and the T post gets a little bit shot up but I haven't killed one yet- about 10,000 rounds. It's easy to hit the plates with white paint when they have a lot of rounds on them.

These brackets work best if you angle the T post slightly forward [about 10 deg] when pounding them in.

I use skidder tire chain . Very hard steel . Shoot it all you want . Can’t hurt it .

Attachments

• 261FEEAE-9276-4B33-A9DC-1309376A3A20.jpeg
    261FEEAE-9276-4B33-A9DC-1309376A3A20.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 51
Back