Has anyone figured out a hunting bipod yet?

logem

FNG
My go to for LRH is the Evolution Bipod. Besides the standard prone legs, a carry set of 16” quick change legs (extendable to 24”) which are light, compact, fit easily in my day-pack, and take a few seconds to swap, for very stable sitting/kneeling shots. I run a 50:50 mix of prone/sitting due to the terrain I hunt.
I second vote for the Evolution Bipod. It's solid, light, and almost infinitely adjustable.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
The best bipod for hunting that I have found so far is the thunderbeast one. It’s just over 1.25 pounds with extensions and spiked feet as well as an arca clamp.

The bipod is arms-17 so changing clamps is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I second vote for the Evolution Bipod. It's solid, light, and almost infinitely adjustable.

I just bought one.
I hadnt got a shipping notification after a week so I emailed them. They didnt respond to the email but generated a label and shipped 2 days later.
I dont like the leg deployment and lack of pan so now I am trying to return it. I cant even get them to respond to an email.
based on my experiences so far I would not recomend them.

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
I use an Atlas Super Cal. Any rig I shoot prone is a heavy LR deal that I wouldn't dream of using to hike/bust canyons.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought one.
I hadnt got a shipping notification after a week so I emailed them. They didnt respond to the email but generated a label and shipped 2 days later.
I dont like the leg deployment and lack of pan so now I am trying to return it. I cant even get them to respond to an email.
based on my experiences so far I would not recomend them.
Why do you think panning is favorable for a sturdy bipod?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Why do you think panning is favorable for a sturdy bipod?

Sometimes the legs dont fall in a way that is the best for the orientation of the animal especially in rocks. being able to pan the bipod that way its in the best position for stability I have found helps getting set up faster. Also when the animal moves moving your body and panning the gun is sometimes preferable to moving the gun and bipod.

For bench work panning doenst mean crap. In hunting situations I have found it useful although not completely nessecary. However when its needed its nice. My atlas has never needed adjustment on the pan or cant once set.

At the end of the day the leg deployment is what killed it. Being able to pull a leg down is crucial IMO.
Its half as fast to setup in unlevel terrain deploying legs as my atlas or ckye pod. I dont see a reason to keep a $400+ bipod with less features and harder to use then a cheaper PSR atlas even though it is slightly lighter.

The removeable legs is cool. I would buy a gen2 that got rid of the spring loaded legs in favor of a pull down type leg even if it didnt have pan. But as the bipod is designed now it will never make it to the field. The ckye pod or tripod will always go first. I was going to use it for a second bipod for bench work but the atlas PSR does more for less money so I dont see a reason to keep it.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes the legs dont fall in a way that is the best for the orientation of the animal especially in rocks. being able to pan the bipod that way its in the best position for stability I have found helps getting set up faster. Also when the animal moves moving your body and panning the gun is sometimes preferable to moving the gun and bipod.

For bench work panning doenst mean crap. In hunting situations I have found it useful although not completely nessecary. However when its needed its nice. My atlas has never needed adjustment on the pan or cant once set.

At the end of the day the leg deployment is what killed it. Being able to pull a leg down is crucial IMO.
Its half as fast to setup in unlevel terrain deploying legs as my atlas or ckye pod. I dont see a reason to keep a $400+ bipod with less features and harder to use then a cheaper PSR atlas even though it is slightly lighter.

The removeable legs is cool. I would buy a gen2 that got rid of the spring loaded legs in favor of a pull down type leg even if it didnt have pan. But as the bipod is designed now it will never make it to the field. The ckye pod or tripod will always go first. I was going to use it for a second bipod for bench work but the atlas PSR does more for less money so I dont see a reason to keep it.
Fair enough. Different people need different things.

For me, bipod panning is a feature I don't want. It really F's with recoil management.

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider

For me, bipod panning is a feature I don't want. It really F's with recoil management.
Lose that triangle of support don't ya! Pan enough and the bipod legs are in line with no support.

Pan, Peter Pan...

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
To me an option that requires packing a separate set of legs for proper versatility, is no option at all. I want to carry less stuff, not more!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Again.
We differ here.
#1 switching to a chambering that recoils less decreased recoil the most.
#2 Changing to a more favorable stock design helped the second most in recoil managment.
#3 Was learning how to shoot properly.
#4 suppressor to lengthen recoil pulse and save my ears.

deleting pan on a bipod would be #36 on how to manage recoil

ZAR EC

FNG
I use the Tierone.eu Evolution bipod. This style of bipod where the rifle centre of gravity sits below the bipod apex made an enormous difference for me in recoil control and stability. I've gad 2 of these. I had several dislikes on the Gen 1 but the Gen2 has fixed all my gripes. The RPS bipod is similar although expensive where I am.

ZAR EC

FNG

I too fall within this camp. My hunting style requires shooting multiple animals within a group very quickly and all impacts need to be seen. A bipod that pans produces an inconsistent recoil impulse if the legs are not square to the barrel at all times. It can make the difference between spotting the impact or not.