Have you ever seen a wolverine in the Lower 48?

Have you ever seen a wolverine in the lower 48 states?

• Yes

Votes: 44 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 88 66.7%

• Total voters

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I just remembered this one seemingly on the move to the Wolverine state:

And that wolverine made a road trip through CO!

Mt Al

WKR

MattB

WKR
Never in the lower 48, only in the NWT.

There were 3 sighting in California’s central Sierras last year. There was one about 10 years before that near Tahoe and then apparently the previous sighting was in the 1920’s.

Never in the lower 48, only in the NWT.

There were 3 sighting in California’s central Sierras last year. There was one about 10 years before that near Tahoe and then apparently the previous sighting was in the 1920’s.
Yep that one was seen on the ski slopes of mammoth!

wyogoat

WKR
Oh, so you saw the one that they tracked from grand Teton. I see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps. Just saying they are there. You don’t know me. You don’t know what I saw. Chill.
Others have said they have seen them in Colorado. I’m just engaging in the convo with my experience. Not trying to gain street cred. But you’re the expert…

Perhaps. Just saying they are there. You don’t know me. You don’t know what I saw. Chill.
Others have said they have seen them in Colorado. I’m just engaging in the convo with my experience. Not trying to gain street cred. But you’re the expert…

I’ve never claimed to be an expert either. In fact I was actually referencing the exact same article that you were referencing.

c3b4d940c0c662139c5fc33263f80afe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyogoat

WKR
Right on. Just saying what I saw. That would have been 2001ish. I knew it was rare but not impossible. I was surprised as well. Not like I said I shot like 50 of them with a fricken 12 gauge.
I guess we can disagree on my experience.

I have lived and spent a lot of time in a couple areas of MT that are known to have good concentrations of wolverines.

I have seen several sets of tracks over the years, but I never actually saw one until 2021. Saw it twice. Once through the binos at 150yds slinking across an opening to my gut pile and another time at about 25yds crossing a downed log across a creek. It was awesome.

ianpadron

WKR
Watched one a few years back deep in the Washington Cascades. Didn't realize at the time just how rare it was. He was playing with a big stick just like my Golden Retriever lol.

WDFW wants as much info as possible on wolverine sightings, but I kept this lil fella a secret so he can kill marmots and chomp sticks in peace.

Excellent topic and thread. We don't talk enough about these cool little weasels, and while my wolverine experiences are all in Alaska, glad to see some conversation about them. I've seen many wolverines over the years and they are always a cherished memory of my time in the mountains and usually stick out when I think back on a particular hunt.

A few notable experiences:

While sleeping in a bivy sack on a solo sheep hunt, a wolverine woke me up as it walked to about 3 feet from my toes. I think we were both surprised.

While guiding my first guided sheep hunt, saw a wolf chasing a wolverine. Every so often, the wolverine would turn and stand his ground as the wolf backed off. Never did get to see how that battle turned out.

I've seen wolverines chasing single and multiple sheep on a few occasions.

This year I watched a dall sheep ewe stomp a wolverine as it tried to pull an end around and get her lamb. The wolverine gave up after being stomped.

While waiting for a band of rams to move, three wolverines loped about 60 yards below our position. This was one of my coolest wolverine experiences as it was the first time I had ever seen multiple wolverines together, and also because I was able to get some pretty cool video of them.

I am sure there are a few more wolverine encounters that I am forgetting, but these were some of the more memorable ones.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Excellent topic and thread. We don't talk enough about these cool little weasels, and while my wolverine experiences are all in Alaska, glad to see some conversation about them. I've seen many wolverines over the years and they are always a cherished memory of my time in the mountains and usually stick out when I think back on a particular hunt.

A few notable experiences:

While sleeping in a bivy sack on a solo sheep hunt, a wolverine woke me up as it walked to about 3 feet from my toes. I think we were both surprised.

While guiding my first guided sheep hunt, saw a wolf chasing a wolverine. Every so often, the wolverine would turn and stand his ground as the wolf backed off. Never did get to see how that battle turned out.

I've seen wolverines chasing single and multiple sheep on a few occasions.

This year I watched a dall sheep ewe stomp a wolverine as it tried to pull an end around and get her lamb. The wolverine gave up after being stomped.

While waiting for a band of rams to move, three wolverines loped about 60 yards below our position. This was one of my coolest wolverine experiences as it was the first time I had ever seen multiple wolverines together, and also because I was able to get some pretty cool video of them.

I am sure there are a few more wolverine encounters that I am forgetting, but these were some of the more memorable ones.
Could you post the video?