Helical

I’ve been thinking about running a helical for my archery setup this year as I’ve heard it helps with broad-head stability. I see most guys run a left helical and some guys run to the right, does anyone have any suggestions on this?

I like helical. But the only reason I see to differentiate between right or left is if you clock how a bare shaft is coming out of your bow and pick helical to that direction to keep things always moving in the same direction. Personally I haven't done this and just went with right helical so I don't have to deal with points coming loose.

Do you shoot long ranges? Like 70, 80, 90?

Helical is good but I found at long ranges it becomes a parachute and the arrow drops way too fast.

If you're shooting a single bevel broadhead, it's a good idea to match fletching direction with bevel direction so both components work to spin the arrow in the same direction.

If you're not shooting a single bevel, it doesn't matter which way you fletch. Some folks will advise you to "clock" your arrows and fletch to complement natural/bareshaft rotation direction. Clocking is a waste of time IMO, but if it makes you feel better, waste away. The arrow will be spinning in the direction of the fletching within a few feet of launch whether you fletch with or against natural rotation direction.

Regarding amount of offset/helical: the greater the angle, the more drag the fletching will induce, and the better able it will be to steer/stabilize the arrow. Like other aspects of fletching (e.g., vane count, height, length), it's difficult to say a priori how much offset/helical angle is enough. If you like to tinker, fletch up a few different configurations and see which groups best with broadheads. If you want to just do it once, three high profile vanes (e.g., Bohning Blazer, AAE Max Hunter) at 2-3° offset is a popular choice that works well with most broadheads.

I did the extreme helical that EZ fletch makes. It was fine but it does tend to parachute past about 65 yards. I started using 3 degree helical and I personally think mine fly better in that configuration.
This may be just me coming from a rifle shooter background.... my rifles like certain loads and bullet weights.. I also feel like my bow shoots certain setups better than others. I may just be crazy and convincing myself that it does .

I shoot out to 100 yards regularly, and with a moderate amount of helical have not ever noticed ballooning or parachuting. Which reminds me, I need to set up the chronograph and see what the actual speed loss is out that far...........

Back