Helinox Ground Chair vs Chair One

Planning on purchasing a Helinox chair. I've tried the Chair One and liked it but don't like that the legs slip into soft dirt. I haven't tried the Ground Chair. The Ground Chair is smaller so not sure how comfortable it is but the boxed leg design won't suffer from the same problem as the Chair One legs. Also saves a bit of weight.

For those that have used both, which would you go with?

I'm 6ft, 200lbs. Will mostly be used for glassing and general camp comfort.

Beckjhong

WKR
I debated this and sat in both a bunch. I’m 6’3” 220lbs.

The chair one is hands down more comfortable than the zero. The zero was comfortable if I could stretch my legs all the way out, but otherwise was using my core to stay steady. Also less back support and harder to get in and out of—I’m no fat old guy, this is just in comparison to the one.

Really tried to convince myself on the zero because of the weight, but it just wasn’t worth it to me with the comfort difference.

Yes, the legs sink into the dirt a bit—not such that the chair is unusable in my experience. A minor detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helinox also sells a ground sheet for the chair. The legs won’t sink into the sand at all. Works awesome. Very good addition to the chair.
Or these. Haven’t tried them out.

Last edited:

huntcoop

WKR
I have the Ground Chair and it’s incredibly comfortable after a days hike. Very light, easy to setup and put away.

It does sit low to the ground so it’s harder to get out of compared to a regular height chair. That being said, sitting low to the ground is great as you can stretch out your legs and lean back.

I don’t like the legs on the Chair One. Sinking into soft ground you can become slightly uneven.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was on the Rokslide Packraft Rondy and got to use both chairs side by side for the trip. I didn’t own a chair at the time since they seemed like strictly a luxury but as Steve Stidham (stid2677 on here) says they’re one pound if worth it!

All that said, I’m 6’2” and 215lbs and I now own two ground chairs. I wouldn’t own anything else for our soft ground up here.

Also got the Ground because I wanted more stability on snow and sand and because I wanted to sit low enough to use it inside my shelter. Like others have said if you have the space to lean back and stretch your legs it is incredibly comfortable. If you are watching your pack weight I would not get one, because once you try it it's hard to leave it in the truck!

Never tried the One but I can tell it would be easier to get in and out of.

We have a couple of the Ground Chairs. I'm 6'3" 225 lbs. Strong points: very comfy, doesn't sink, good fit in a small shelter.

Getting in/out would seem harder, but there is a technique to make it easy. Straight-arm fist in the ground beside chair. Pivot in/down, or up/out. Works great.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I was on the Rokslide Packraft Rondy and got to use both chairs side by side for the trip. I didn’t own a chair at the time since they seemed like strictly a luxury but as Steve Stidham (stid2677 on here) says they’re one pound if worth it!

All that said, I’m 6’2” and 215lbs and I now own two ground chairs. I wouldn’t own anything else for our soft ground up here.
Which make and model packraft did you use on the Rondy?
Also did you opt on getting the Helinox ground chair of the chair one or both?
Thanks in advance. I really wish I could have gone in that Rondy..!

Last edited:

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which make and model packraft did you use on the Rondy?
Also did you opt on getting the Helinox ground chair of the chair one or both?
Thanks in advance. I really wish I could have gone in that Rondy..!
Used the PR-49 as did most folks on the trip.

I still prefer that ground chair over any other field chair. It’s not the greatest hard ground chair but it’s absolutely heavenly for soft ground.

I had the Helinox and sold it within a year. Too uncomfortable sit in and stand up from. If you are a big guy you'll need an assistant to help you sit up. You'll see.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the Helinox and sold it within a year. Too uncomfortable sit in and stand up from. If you are a big guy you'll need an assistant to help you sit up. You'll see.
That’s for sure the most common complaint with them. I’m 6’2” / 220 and it works well enough to get out. Lot of guys tip over to the side and sort of roll onto their hands and knees to get up.

They cannot be beat on soft ground and bad weather when you’re hunkered under a tarp that can’t be pitched higher due to wind. It’s that or a z-pad and I’m taking my chair 11 out 10 times.