Help a novice pick a scope

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
First, I'm a bowhunter through and through. Haven't hunted with a gun (except for waterfowl and upland birds) for 13 years.

My father-in-law is 66 years old and wants to go on a rifle elk hunt next year. I'd like to join him.

I have a Weatherby Mark V in 7mm rem mag. The scope on it is garbage. I'm looking to replace it with something decent I could also use in the future if I want to hunt rifle season with friends.

I'll take all the tips you gun gurus have on rings, bases, mounting advise etc., because I know those things are important, and I don't want to let my OCD self spend the next 100 hours of free time going down the rabbit hole to a point I feel I'm barely competent. Full honest disclosure. Thanks in advance.

• My budget: around $1,000
  • I'd like to keep the weight down (no $hit, right) and the low light vis up.
  • I have no shooting ego and no long distance hunting dreams. I'm a bowhunter. To me, 300yds means I've got 250 to go.
For example, I've been looking at:
Leupold 5HD (3-15x) 44mm
Zeiss Conquest V4 (4-16) 44mm

I know optics (binos and spotters) pretty well. Just not rifle scopes. I usually run Swaro, but I can't justify it for a tool I'm only going to use once in a great while.

Thanks again.

Jbob

FNG
I used to focus on low light visibility.. But remember what the purpose of the scope is.
Binos are for eval, survey, scouting.

Most quality scopes in and below your price bracket have plenty of low light visibility... especially compared to your current scope.

BearGuy

FNG
I’ve got the nightforce SHV and I couldn’t be happier with it. I can’t recommend it highly enough. Never lose zero and durable as it can be. Very reliable to dial with as well when shooting for fun or if in the future you want to poke a little further.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

A used swfa 3-9x here, Or the 3-10x shv linked above would be excellent choices, trijicon has some attractive options as well

Read the scope evaluation sub forum in the long range forum, that will help narrow your options a good amount

A 50mm objective is going to improve your low-light characteristics.
I would look at maybe Meopta Meosport 3-15x50.
They're well under your budget and the glass is excellent.
You can also get a lighted reticle which IS legal and pretty helpful in low light.
That's where I spent my money...

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have several different scopes. I have however continued to buy Leopold as they are clear, near bomb proof and you can not beat their warranty. I also have a Zeiss and its is very good. Then I still have a bunch of Nikons from my earlier years. They function well and I only had one failure in about 20 years. I even have one of the old Redfield tv scopes mounted on a loner rifle. There are a couple others I can not remember the names of off hand.

If you are primary a bowhunter and will only occasionally be rifle hunting most scopes will probably work out to 500 yards and most of your shots will probably be closer. I would pick a mid range scope with a reticle I like. Then practice - A lot. Just my 2 cents

SDHNTR

WKR
I have several different scopes. I have however continued to buy Leopold as they are clear, near bomb proof and you can not beat their warranty. I also have a Zeiss and its is very good. Then I still have a bunch of Nikons from my earlier years. They function well and I only had one failure in about 20 years. I even have one of the old Redfield tv scopes mounted on a loner rifle. There are a couple others I can not remember the names of off hand.

If you are primary a bowhunter and will only occasionally be rifle hunting most scopes will probably work out to 500 yards and most of your shots will probably be closer. I would pick a mid range scope with a reticle I like. Then practice - A lot. Just my 2 cents
Leupold near bombproof? Oh boy! You must be new here. I hope you have thick skin.

Op, read the scope evals here and you’ll get a good feel for what works. Or the short version is, buy a Nightforce SHV or Trijicon Credo.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold, has worked for decades for me from Canada to Mexico. Pros like yourself appear to go to the extreme. I'm aware of the other brands and their cost. But why spend more than nessasary. The hundreds saved could be put to better use. Don't worry about my skin.

JGRaider

WKR
Leupold, has worked for decades for me from Canada to Mexico. Pros like yourself appear to go to the extreme. I'm aware of the other brands and their cost. But why spend more than nessasary. The hundreds saved could be put to better use. Don't worry about my skin.
It'll work for the OP too. I've lost count of the number of game animals I've killed with a Vari X IIc, and VX6.

Leupold, has worked for decades for me from Canada to Mexico. Pros like yourself appear to go to the extreme. I'm aware of the other brands and their cost. But why spend more than nessasary. The hundreds saved could be put to better use. Don't worry about my
There is tons of info on this site showing how cost doesn’t necessarily correlate with a scope’s ability to hold zero.

Anyway, out of the ones mentioned in this thread I’ve used the trij credo for the last couple years and been very happy with it

SDHNTR

WKR
No doubt, because minute of deer under 300 yards is incredibly forgiving and no sort of indicator of precision.

JGRaider

WKR
No doubt, because minute of deer under 300 yards is incredibly forgiving and no sort of indicator of precision.
It sure kills game though, and has been for decades. Most game animals are killed under 300 yards, a fact that escapes most of the LR crowd. Make no mistake, LR shooting is great fun, just a tad overblown for the every day hunter.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It sure kills game though, and has been for decades.

What an excellent endorsement- “these things don’t work very well or hold zero all that well, but it’s ok because I don’t ask much of it”.

Most game animals are killed under 300 yards, a fact that escapes most of the LR crowd.

How do you know what percentage of animals are killed at what range in the Rocky Mountain west? And “who” does it escape?

Make no mistake, LR shooting is great fun, just a tad overblown for the every day hunter.

This is primarily a backpacking, western mountain hunting site- not a deer in feeder at 50 yards site. Hence the reason people tend to care more about things working correctly. In any case the OP asked about scopes for use on an elk, for 300 yards.
Why exactly does it make sense for him to choose a scope that has a demonstrably higher chance of losing zero over one that has a demonstrably lower chance of losing zero?

JGRaider

WKR
Good try Form, but you whiffed. I grew up in the "West", and have hunted there for 50+ years, wide open to semi wide open country. Not the Rocky Mtn West exclusively, but nevertheless, the West. I've killed over 400 big game animals, guided to at least 200 more. I've enough experience to know what works, what doesn't, and don't have to rely on the internet to decide for me. It's a blessing, not a curse.

The outdoor sport optics industry caters to everyone, not the Western US by a long shot. BTW, your deer feeder comment is lame, not factual, and bogus with regards to me, but good try anyway.

Once again, "demonstrably", by you and those who take your word as gospel. I believe you do lots of good work, but I don't subscribe to that theory. The vast, vast majority of hunters I guided showed up with Swaro binos, and Leupy scopes....probably 80% of them, and they could buy whatever they wanted, and hunted all over the world with that gear. We never had a scope go tits up, ever.

Just curious why you don't post on 24HCF anymore? Keep up the good work!