Help me decide on a spotting scope

Corbin99

FNG
I’ve been on the lookout for a Swarovski ATS 65 25-50 but they are hard to find on the used market before they are snatched up. I can get one new for 2,400 range. But I just found a Leica 65 televid for 1,800. The guy bought it in 2021 I believe and it’s in great shape. Should I just pull the trigger on this Leica?

golfbum

WKR
I have owned both. I personally like the leica a decent amount better then the ats.

I have heard the Kowa 66 is steller but haven’t got the chance to check it out.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d never turn down a little Leica at that price or a 65mm Zeiss Diascope either. Both outstanding.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

With rokslide discount code comes out to $2700 plus tax, Pretty sure this beats out the ATS 65 in a lot of reviews.
The Kowa 66mm PROMINAR Spotting Scope Angled with TE-11WZ II Eyepiece #TSN-66A ZM SET is on our Black Friday Weekend Sale for only $2,599.99 and IMO is superior to the Swarovski ATS-65.
Please give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it.

The Leica was a good scope, however, Leica has not supported their spotting scope line for many years (no cases or accessories) as they've been talking about replacing their spotters for over 5 years but have done nothing about it.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
The Kowa 66mm PROMINAR Spotting Scope Angled with TE-11WZ II Eyepiece #TSN-66A ZM SET is on our Black Friday Weekend Sale for only $2,599.99 and IMO is superior to the Swarovski ATS-65.

The Leica was a good scope, however, Leica has not supported their spotting scope line for many years (no cases or accessories) as they've been talking about replacing their spotters for over 5 years but have done nothing about it.
Are you saying they’re eventually going to stop making it all together?

jimh406

WKR
$600 is a lot, but it's also a Swarovski new. That's what I'd buy given those two choices. As you noted, you won't have issues changing later if you have a Swarovski.

Unclear to me what the resale value is for the others.

golfbum

WKR
Imo you will be far ahead in resale value with a used leica for 1800 vs a new ats for 2400.

Both bring about 1700-1900 on the used market.

Both are great setups, my eyes enjoy the leica more. Its a much easier scope to get behind in my experience. Doug is right that you would have a hard time finding a stay on case for the leica but a marsupial case will protect it when not being used and its a well armored spotter to start with (as is the swaro).

Cody from gohunt and s&s archery both rank the leica 65 as about as good as it gets.

Im going to sell my 65 and go with a smaller (55range) and larger spotter as it fits what i need a little better and im a gear whore but the 65 is an amazing do it all spotter.

I’ve been on the lookout for a Swarovski ATS 65 25-50 but they are hard to find on the used market before they are snatched up. I can get one new for 2,400 range. But I just found a Leica 65 televid for 1,800. The guy bought it in 2021 I believe and it’s in great shape. Should I just pull the trigger on this Leica?
Have folks been able to compare the new Kowa 66 to the ATS 25-50x themselves? S&S has a great video, but I'm curious if other people have had a chance to compare? That video review made them seem like nearly indistinguishable optically?

MGFARM

FNG
I just purchased the kowa 66 today. I looked through the swaro ats 25-50 and the kowa edged it out.
+ for the Kowa is dual focus knob (This is where it sent me over the edge it just allows of that last little touch to make the view perfect for my eye), 10x more magnification, and better resolving at the same magnification (splitting hairs).
+for the Swaro is it's lighter, armor body, and resale value

Do you work at S&S? If so will you let me know if the kowa 66a goes on sale for that price again? Also curious if you guys offer a military discount code?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you work at S&S? If so will you let me know if the kowa 66a goes on sale for that price again? Also curious if you guys offer a military discount code?
No, we are Camera Land Sport Optics. Long time sponsor here and family owned and operated since 1957

Please call me to discuss this scope, thank you
Doug
516-217-1000