Help with my gear list

renagde

WKR
I'm planning for my first backcountry Colorado elk hunt in mid September. Hoping you guys would take a look at my gear list and let me know if there's something I should add or subtract or what I can do to cut any more weight. I'm planning for a 10 day hunt. Here's the link to my LighterPack list.

https://lighterpack.com/r/89cuq3

This is a list of items I still need to purchase:

Trekking poles
Pack Cover
50' dyneema cordage
leukotape
Blender bottle shaker (for my breakfasts)
Wind Indicator

Let me know what you think, thanks in advance!

Personal opinion, ditch the rain pants, probably could go without the insulated pants too. I'd add a secondary water purification like tablets to your first aid kit.

Second dropping the down pants but maybe keep the rain pants..? Find a lighter battery pack?

I love my Ruta locura trek poles. He made mine a touch longer for strength for my 6’6” height no charge!

You won't need down pants mid Sept.

Throw a couple of zip ties in your kill kit to attach tag to the meat bag with proof of sex in it. I also take a 1 qt ziplock bag to put over proof of sex to keep it off the meat. Ball point pen to sign your tag.

I'd take an extra pair of socks.

Headlamp or a way to attach the flashlight to your cap or head. You come out in the dark with trekking poles you won't want a flashlight in your hand.

Ditto on the no down pants. For rain paints, lightest possible. Confused on no stove for ten days.

My personal thoughts:

Make sure you're comfortable sleeping with that bag/pad combo for 10 straight days at the expected temperatures. I used to just skimp on the pads and bags, but now like a thicker pad and little bit of a warmer bag.

I have no experience with solar chargers. I'm sure they're great when it's sunny. I'd just make sure to use it a few times and understand how fast and when it charges best.

Bring the rain pants.

I might ditch the down pants depending on the location/expected weather.

I like to bring 1 spare pair of socks and underwear for 10 days hunts.

I also like stoves - it keeps my spirit up on the cold/wet days - especially when there's an extended period of them.

You're gonna love it! And the best thing you can do is just get out there. You'll eventually learn what you like and don't like and constantly hone your system.

I'm with most here.
ditch the down pants
keep the rain pants
Take a stove. I have done a few week long hunts with dry food, and it sucked a little. I really enjoy the hot food at the end of a day.

I love my sea to summit pack covers. They have a mid strap that hooks the frame right above the lumbar pad. you can pull the top off and on to get at gear without the cover flopping around and coming off.

Ok, figured I'd get alot of questions about the down pants. Originally I was planning to take my First Lite Allegheny bottoms but after weighing them, my down pants are around 6 oz more. I figured I'll take them, leave the base layers at home, and never have a problem getting cold. Also it should lower my comfort rating on my bag significantly.

I'm still debating a stove and what exactly my diet will be. There's a good chance I may go with a stove eventually.

My flashlight does have a clip and attaches very nicely to my hat, but I'm still looking at possibly picking up a backup headlamp.

I know my battery pack is heavy, but it works well and if it allows me to stay out without having to head back to the truck to charge it that's worth the weight penalty to me. On sunny days it'll ride on the outside of my pack and by evening it should have enough juice to recharge my phone and watch if needed.

I will add a ziploc bag to my kill kit, and i did forgot to mention I do have zip locks in there already.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, keep them coming!

Yep, I'd upgrade pad to higher Rvalue if you can, especially with your sleeping bag. Last trip mid september, I took a mountain hardwear 5 degree bag. I was just right down to mid 20s. Started to get a little chilly. Cant take them as low as the rating. Your 28 degree bag is probably good for like 35-40. Guess thats why your factoring in down pants though.
Doubt I'll take rain pants in again, depending on forecast. Will have in the truck. I'd definitely take a second pair of socks. That would be #1 on my list. I took a giant battery pack last time too. Was way too much. But depends on how good your cell phone battery is, and other electronics.
I assume your staying in for 10 days? We use to do that, but have changed tactics. No more than 4 days now. Either packin one out by then or changing to another area. Thus carrying less food and more mobile. Overall looks like you have a good list though and youll certainly figure out how you can tweak it for next time. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Yep, I'd upgrade pad to higher Rvalue if you can, especially with your sleeping bag. Last trip mid september, I took a mountain hardwear 5 degree bag. I was just right down to mid 20s. Started to get a little chilly. Cant take them as low as the rating. Your 28 degree bag is probably good for like 35-40. Guess thats why your factoring in down pants though.
Doubt I'll take rain pants in again, depending on forecast. Will have in the truck. I'd definitely take a second pair of socks. That would be #1 on my list. I took a giant battery pack last time too. Was way too much. But depends on how good your cell phone battery is, and other electronics.
I assume your staying in for 10 days? We use to do that, but have changed tactics. No more than 4 days now. Either packin one out by then or changing to another area. Thus carrying less food and more mobile. Overall looks like you have a good list though and youll certainly figure out how you can tweak it for next time. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, I am keeping my eye open for a good deal on a inflatable pad that to get my R value up into the 3.5-5 range. And yes, the small weight penalty that my down pants gave over a merino base layer made it worthwhile for me (in my head anyways) to keep me comfortable at night.

We are planning on a 10 day hunt, but realistically will only spend 4-5 days out at a time.

Ditch:
Rain pants

If your getting a new pad, ditch the down pants.

Swap:
50 gal trash bags are huge, bulky and heavy. 33 gal are plenty big.

Elk quarter sized game bags (never mind If deboning).

Flashlight for a headlamp.

Add:
Fixed blade, when you have to really get in there for tougher cuts.

Steripen. If you have water in the area, leave the bladder at camp.

Small tripod for comfortable glassing. Worth the additional weight IMO.

Fire starter like trioxane.

Ditch:
Rain pants

If your getting a new pad, ditch the down pants.

Swap:
50 gal trash bags are huge, bulky and heavy. 33 gal are plenty big.

Elk quarter sized game bags (never mind If deboning).

Flashlight for a headlamp.

Add:
Fixed blade, when you have to really get in there for tougher cuts.

Steripen. If you have water in the area, leave the bladder at camp.

Small tripod for comfortable glassing. Worth the additional weight IMO.

Fire starter like trioxane.

I'm a little confused with everyone saying ditch the rain pants. My buddy that went in that area last years said he wore his off and on nearly every day. He said he was glad to have the pants otherwise he would have been soaked.

I checked my bags, they're actually 33 gallon. Also my game bags are the XL size, so they'll easily fit an elk quarter.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, this is super helpful.

I never pack in without my rain gear. I may choose to leave rain gear behind for the day if the weather is clear, but I will never be caught without it. It is too valuable for its weight even if just to break the wind.

Depends on where you are in Colorado and the weather forecast on the rain pants. If there is no rain in the forecast, I leave them at the truck.

Rain gear lives in my pack for sure. It also works as a great emergency item, if I got lost/hurt and had to spend a night out I would be glad to have the rain gear.

A stove is a must for me. One of my favourite parts of a hunt is cooking in my floor less shelter and enjoying a hot breakfast or dinner.

Toaks titanium pot 2.8 oz
BRS ultralight stove - 0.9 oz
Titanium utensile - 0.5 oz
plus fuel (the heaviest part)

Fairly small weight penalty for such comfort. Also this gear is not expensive.

How often does your phone and watch need recharging? A small battery pack should do right? I bring a 4.3 oz battery.

I skimp on first aid as well, under 3 oz is all I need.

Last edited:
My phone is old and doesn't hold a charge very well. I don't know how long it'll last just checking in to use Basemap or Onx. My watch if using it on GPS might go 2 days. I just didn't feel like having to charge it when we go back to the truck or worse run out of a communication method.

Back