Hinge Releases and TSA

TheCougar

WKR
Has anyone tried and had success or failure taking a hinge release through TSA? I can’t imagine it would be a problem, but I’m worried I’ll run into an ignorant TSA officer. I fly for the airlines, so I go through TSA a lot and would be taking it on my trips to practice. I would ask TSA when I go through, but chances are they will hear the word “archery” and just say no out of bureaucratic impulse. Sometimes they can be ridiculous, and there is a note in TSA regulations that leaves the ultimate decision up to the TSA officer. For example, I used to carry metal cutlery from First Class in my flight bag. TSA took the metal bread knives away twice, even though they are allowed AND they are given to us in the airplane. The conversation was bizarre.

TSA: “You can’t have this on the airplane”
Me: “They give this to me on the airplane. With every meal. On every flight. They also give them to the passengers.”
TSA: “You can’t take them though”.
Me: “Okay well, I’m going to be given another one with my lunch while I’m flying, so you can have this one. I’ll get another when they pass out 180 of these on my plane. Thanks”
TSA: Blank stare. “you can’t take this through”.

I'd say unless they think they are brass knuckles, I wouldn't think it's a problem.

Tho, depending on what hinge it is, I could see them thinking it's definitely along those lines.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I'd say unless they think they are brass knuckles, I wouldn't think it's a problem.

Tho, depending on what hinge it is, I could see them thinking it's definitely along those lines.
Ultraview 2. I was thinking the same about brass knuckles. I’m at the mercy of the lowest common denominator!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
You mean lowest IQ?
Not necessarily IQ, just common sense and “give a crap” factor. I’ll take a hardworking common sense average Joe at TSA over an apathetic and lazy Mensa member. Most of the TSA folks are just fine, but everyone once in a while, like any place, you come across someone that just leaves you shaking your head. And they win, because they have the keys to the kingdom and they know it.

Depends on the agent and the airport. This past weekend Minneapolis airport let me go through with a medical boot on. Denver made me take it off to go through. Don't even get me started on the TSA and their ignorance/stupidity.

KBC

WKR
The only time I flew with my bow, the release was in the bow case. I did have my bino harness in my carry on and made it through with a single .22 round I thought I dropped in the woods the week before though.

fwafwow

WKR
No first hand experience. I’d personally not risk it unless you have time to put it back in your car or you don’t mind losing it. I had a TSA agent seize a bolt to a bolt action rifle and declare it a firearm. I was kicked out of TSA precheck for a year, reduced to 6 months after an email appeal. I eventually got my bolt back, but only after the intervention of a friend of a relative in Federal LE.

Bluefish

WKR
Really depends, they seem to make it up as they go along. Have been rejected for large blunt chunks of lead used as ballast. on other trips my wife walked through with a 4” pairing knife (twice). I even walked through with a 2” clip knife on my pocket and they pulled me aside to swab my hands. Post 9-11, but pre full body scan. Really just window dressing to make people feel better without doing anything.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
No first hand experience. I’d personally not risk it unless you have time to put it back in your car or you don’t mind losing it. I had a TSA agent seize a bolt to a bolt action rifle and declare it a firearm. I was kicked out of TSA precheck for a year, reduced to 6 months after an email appeal. I eventually got my bolt back, but only after the intervention of a friend of a relative in Federal LE.
I’m surprised they even noticed it

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
I travel quite a lot and have had a very different experience with TSA. I find them sensible and practical in all of my dealings with them. Just throw your release in your bag. You may have to explain it to them, but I cannot imagine it would be denied. And if it is, well, there’s always the next trip.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I might avoid referring to it as a release and I certainly wouldn't mention archery. Tell them it's for your carpal tunnel and makes you a more effective pilot.

I've been referring to my spearfishing gear as "fishing tackle" for 20 years.