HOLY CRAP!!! Did you guys see the price of the new Tenzing pack????

I have no concerns with hauling odd, heavy loads on the bikini even though it doesn't have a "solid" frame sheet. I've hauled hay 3 times on my bikini frame and it weighed more than the Stihl's I used to pack around. I haven't seen the frame shift yet. Actually, strapping on a heavy load of meat and cinching it down would rick the frame on the bikini if it was going to do it at all.

. I personally don't like super high frames & these so called "functional" load lifters you all seem to oogle over. .
Hunt'nFish

why in the world would you want to put weight on your shoulders when you don't have too? ive put 100 pounds in my T1 with no weight on my shoulders. you haven't experienced comfort in packing heavy weight until you've experience "so called functional load lifters" its just simple mechanics really, the more weight you can transfer to you hip shelf the better and longer you can handle the load. as for the pack in question I haven t even seen a picture of it so like I said ill save mu questions until some one packs a bull out over long distances, that will tell you everything you need to know about a large capacity pack

everything you need to know about a large capacity pack

ams,
The Kifaru DT2 is heavy like you said. But the Timberline and the BT2 are not. Those are the two packs that compare to the new Tenzing not the Duplex packs IMO.

Plus if you added all the things to the Kifaru that you listed, it would be double the size of the Tenzing. (3200 CI)

Here is what the Tenzing would really weigh. http://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/tz_6000.php

littlebuf, its not a large capacity pack^
its daypack size... :p

My bad, I kept seeing bigger cu inch numbers but I guess that was not talking directly about the pack in question. Fact remains though, load lifters...

I don't think the bikini is a good match up as the tenzing is a full frame or better, the carbon fiber is a super strong frame sheet. I don't think I would worry about hauling a chainsaw in the tenzing just like the duplex, but I wouldn't haul one in/on a bikini. The timberline has the two stays but no frame sheet and not as modular as the tenzing or duplex. I'm not saying the timberlines or bikini can't haul heavy loads in comfort but they are just hard to compare. I did forget to mention the duplex is by far the most adjustable to each individual especially for fine tuning the fit (aluminum stays). I also see your point about the extra cu space so maybe the dt3 with a load sling would be the most comparable from kifaru. I think what would be nice is if kifaru could make a duplex frame out of the lighter black fabric like the bikini, 3/4 wide aluminum stays like you can get in the timberlines, and only the attachments that are on the bikini so only the outer tabs. Basically if there was a way to get a duplex down to 3 lbs 8 oz range maybe I wouldn't be on this quest for "the" pack as that would pretty much be it.

I don't see a problem hauling a chainsaw with either of those packs.

The real question for me is why would you worry about that when you're looking for a HUNTING pack?

Ahhhhh I see the confusion. I'm looking for an everything pack. Used for hunting of course but also firewood, ground blinds, search and rescue, trailblazing, some work related stuff, and general backpacking. I've used multiple packs from the duplex to the bikini, a T1 , T2, keltys, badlans, ospreys, ilbe, LL bean, Dana Design and now this tenzing to cover some of these needs. Truth is, last year I left my pack in the truck just to hike a mile in to see if where I wanted to go was even possible. It was and so we went farther in out of curiosity without going back for our packs........... we both put animals down and it was a religious experience getting back to the truck. Told the wife the story and she laughed, saying "you spent how much on packs and you didn't even use it." I've learned a lot about what I like personally in a pack and what works for me. I'm really intrigued by the wing and load sling design and will give this one a go. Also, I saved for the bikini but it just wasn't for me so I had extra cash. My cash is safer wrapped up in toys than in my pocket. Wifey is like a blood hound and starts wanting new furniture or something.

Looks like a pretty decent design. Not worth $700 IMO, but looks like it could do a pretty solid job. I think I'll wait until we get actual user feedback before passing judgement. I personally don't like super high frames & these so called "functional" load lifters you all seem to oogle over. I expect a little weight on the shoulders when the loads get heavy, but hey that's me. I guess what I'm saying is I think you guys are being a bit defensive and negatively judgemential w/o fact or experience w/ it. I will say I don't like seeing it made in China at all, and that alone would probably steer me a differant direction. But I like playing w/ new pack designs.
I personally would like to give it a try before I join in beating the horse.
I'll wait for more field reports.
Hunt'nFish

Not sure if guys are being over judgmental on this pack or not. It seems to me most are just making an observation on design about something that did not work well for them in the past.

Back