How did the 6.5 Creedmoor lose steam so quickly?

Definitely hasn’t fallen off. The majority of my clients show up with a 6.5 creedmoor every season and everyone I talk to who wants to get into long range considers it. I do think a lot of people get bullied away from it and end up with a PRC magnum instead now. When I look at rifles at scheels and sportsman’s I can’t escape the creedmoor lol.

I think it’s just as popular as ever.

For the last 10-12 years the “older crowd” that already had more rifles than they needed were hearing about the “magic” and buying one. That was the big explosion in sales and popularity. Most rifle shooters in America bought one in the last 10 years.

Now, most everyone that was already into guns/rifles 10-12 years ago already has one. Most people are already on the bandwagon. (I’m on the “bandwagon” myself. Not saying it negatively)

The people buying them now are probably younger and just starting to get into guns. I have no data to support but I would be willing to bet more 6.5 creeds are sold every year than still 308’s and 30-06’s.

Probably because it’s the least cool creed. I want all of the creedmoors besides the 6.5😏

The one we have will not be going anywhere, it hasn’t become less effective, it’s still a great cartridge, but there are always new shiny cartridges with cool specs

The 6.5creed is going to be very popular for a long time, but nothing can maintain that level of hype forever.

It will always be a good do all mid range cartridge (mid range is long range to me)

If 22 were legal for all critters in this state I would love to have a 22creed, but as it is, a 6creed will be my next, and it will be a good gun to have for anyone to use that I take.

The gender bender (6.5 creed) isn’t going anywhere, I think it seems like it’s losing traction because flat brim hats are falling out of style, so it’s harder to tell who shoots a creed

Actually, it was specifically the question. Re-read the thread title, and see my answer. Which, is my opinion of the answer of the question in this discussion forum.

However, if your looking to play semantics-I'm not interested.
OP:
Maybe it's just my observation, but it sure seems that demand for the 6.5 CM (2007) has fallen off a cliff.

Negative......to both.

It hasn't lost steam. It's just that everyone has one now. Most people don't buy more than one rifle in a particular caliber. 6.5CM is the new 30-06.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

There's a reason every manufacturer has probably more models chambered in 6.5 Creed than any other caliber and it's not because they don't sell.

Maybe it's just my observation, but it sure seems that demand for the 6.5 CM (2007) has fallen off a cliff. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with folks turning to other offerings to get 'just a little more' - whatever that may be.

I think this list is the SAAMI cartridges introduced since then (most of em anyhow).

• 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge
  • 6mm Creedmoor
  • 6mm GT
  • 6.5-284 Norma - dying
  • 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum- niche only
  • 6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge
  • 6.5 Weatherby Rebated Precision Magnum-niche only
  • 6.8 True Velocity Composite - dead
  • 6.8 Western
  • 7mm Precision Rifle Cartridge
  • 7mm PRC
  • 12 Gauge 1¾” - not relevant
  • 21 Sharp - Niche
  • 22 Advanced Rifle Cartridge
  • 22 Creedmoor
  • 22 Nosler
  • 224 Valkyrie - Dead
  • 277 SIG FURY- Dead
  • 28 Gauge 3" - not relevant
  • 30 Super Carry -not relevant
  • 300 Norma Magnum - rare as a percentage of total sales
  • 300 Precision Rifle Cartridge - not relevant.
  • 300 HAM’R - not relevant
  • 338 Norma Magnum -not relevant
  • 338 Weatherby Rebated Precision Magnum - not relevant
  • 350 Legend- not relevant
  • 360 Buckhammer - not relevant
  • 400 Legend - not relevant
  • 429 Desert Eagle - not relevant.

giphy.gif

What is your observation based on? It doesn't make sense.

It is trailing only 22 LR and 223 in online sales..

Edit to add: The 6.5 creed seemed like the first "LR competition" round to really get marketed to masses. I can see how after the intro of 6.5 PRC and such the folks looking to buy a "long range" rifle and who might have bought a creedmoor now choose that. But, i think the creedmoor has taken a lot of volume from the traditional 243, 7-08, 308 "mild recoiling" short action crowd for typical inside 200 yard hunting as well which is just as appropriate an application for it.

Where I live now (southern Appalachian mountains), the local gun shops can’t move a 6.5 CM and ammo they stocked up on. Maybe the observation is from moving across the country, but I sure don’t see folks battling to pick one up anymore.

I’ve had a 6.5 CM on consignment (one of three I own l) at about 20% below cost for four months and can’t trick someone into buying it. Gun shop guys say everyone is back on 308.

Where I live now (southern Appalachian mountains), the local gun shops can’t move a 6.5 CM and ammo they stocked up on. Maybe the observation is from moving across the country, but I sure don’t see folks battling to pick one up anymore.

I’ve had a 6.5 CM on consignment (one of three I own l) at about 20% below cost for four months and can’t trick someone into buying it. Gun shop guys say everyone is back on 308.
That must be a very localized phenomenon...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Where I live now (southern Appalachian mountains), the local gun shops can’t move a 6.5 CM and ammo they stocked up on.
Is it that 6.5 is out of style or that they don’t have competitive prices compared to the internet, plus the fact that thick woods don’t require any of the advantages that the creedmoor gives.
Very few people go into a gun shop just to buy basic creedmoor ammo at $50/box and get called gay by a fat old redneck behind the counter.

Last edited:
That must be a very localized phenomenon...

Maybe so... but I see guys picking up 7 PRCs here. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the high BC market has been diluted quite a bit with other PRC and CM options. And other guys just turning the clock back to the basics of 223, 243, and 308. ^^shotgun also makes a point that's not too far off. Still a lot of hate on 'manbun,' 'needmore,' and 'my 260 is just as good' sorta talk. Also lots of guys in rural areas that don't have $2k binos and Sitka gear. Buddy of mine still uses a POS Tasco scope on a 50 year old rifle and whacks big mountain bucks each year wearing Walls coveralls from the 90s.

@Unckebob that was just a google list, definitely some garbage on there... the point was that it seems like new cartridges are hitting the market every couple months. Maybe it's always been like that but doesn't seem so in my life (mid 40s) and time working behind a gun counter in my 20s.

I also wouldn't call the 300 PRC irrelevant, along with a few others on there. I'd also bet many on that list will be short lived, like what the 6.8 seems like its facing.

Maybe so... but I see guys picking up 7 PRCs here. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the high BC market has been diluted quite a bit with other PRC and CM options. And other guys just turning the clock back to the basics of 223, 243, and 308. ^^shotgun also makes a point that's not too far off. Still a lot of hate on 'manbun,' 'needmore,' and 'my 260 is just as good' sorta talk. Also lots of guys in rural areas that don't have $2k binos and Sitka gear. Buddy of mine still uses a POS Tasco scope on a 50 year old rifle and whacks big mountain bucks each year wearing Walls coveralls from the 90s.
And yet 6.5 creedmoor sales are still extremely high.

The whole shooting industry is experiencing a growth spurt with so many diff "new" calibers and bullets.

Most everything that has needed to be said about 6.5 CM has already been said.

Back