How do you carry trekking poles ?

FlyGuy

WKR
There has to be a better way.

So I’ve been strapping mine to my pack. I don’t use them all the time while hunting, but it when I need them it’s a PITA to get them or return them when done. Either I have to ask my partner to grab them for me or I have to stop and remove my pack. It’s just not ideal.

I’d like to have a “quick access” method where they are somehow attached to a shoulder strap or belt or anywhere up front where I can reach them. Since I typically have a bow in one hand I really just need access to one of them 99% of the time.

Does anyone have a method for this they’d be willing to share? (Maybe if Kifaru or EXO are listening they can build this into their next model!)

I either have in my hands or leave them behind. I hardly ever pack down and stow.

But - if I were you - I’d be checking out little molle pouches and find a pouch that fits one. Then cut the bottom of the pouch out and voila, It’s a holder.

Knife or bear spray pouch comes to mind

Good luck. Let us know what ya figure out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ll look at that, thanks.

I was thinking something similar to the Kifaru Gun Bearer might work. I looked at using my gun bearer, but the bottom pouch is too large for poles. I may try to modify it for this purpose if this thread doesn’t lead to any better ideas.

I figure there are probably a handful of those 100 miler race folks on this forum. I know they use poles a lot in those events and I’m hoping they might have some nifty trick to quick attach them to their racing vests…

I use mine as shooting sticks as well so need quick access. When I don't have them in hand, I've got them in the side pouch of my Stone Glacier 5900. I can grab them without taking the pack off.

P Carter

WKR
Ultra running companies address this in two ways I’ve seen. One is a “pole quiver,” https://www.amazon.com/s?k=salomon+...13463741&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_5z5g3tac7z_e

The other are pole loops, either vertically on a shoulder strap or horizontally on the lower back. The loops can be directly on clothing. I’ve also seen elastic loops with toggles so the poles are removable. You can see the elastic loops/goggles on this:

Here’s one that uses toggles to secure to the front. (This doesn’t look like it’s actually work, but who knows.)

I suppose the upshot is to take a look at trail running stuff, they seem to be addressing this issue.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I use mine as shooting sticks as well so need quick access. When I don't have them in hand, I've got them in the side pouch of my Stone Glacier 5900. I can grab them without taking the pack off.
That’s also the best way I’ve found to hold them.

Yea - same with my stone glacier pack.

Maybe look up ultramarathon races and scroll through pics to see if you can see anybody with trekking poles In a pouch or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Ultra running companies address this in two ways I’ve seen. One is a “pole quiver,” https://www.amazon.com/s?k=salomon+...13463741&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_5z5g3tac7z_e

The other are pole loops, either vertically on a shoulder strap or horizontally on the lower back. The loops can be directly on clothing. I’ve also seen elastic loops with toggles so the poles are removable. You can see the elastic loops/goggles on this:

Here’s one that uses toggles to secure to the front. (This doesn’t look like it’s actually work, but who knows.)

I suppose the upshot is to take a look at trail running stuff, they seem to be addressing this issue.

Thanks!

Something like this (your 3rd link) is exactly what I had in mind!

022e7314fb448b14446fff2d018d297f.jpg

Guess I’ll be fiddling with some bungee cord this afternoon. Sure would be nice if hunting pack manufacturers would incorporate a feature like this into their design.

sndmn11

WKR
A loop of something at your waist belt and a loop of elastic with a pinch stop thingy works.

I have them slid vertically between the main bag and the frame for storage until needed.

Also have an allen shooting stick converted to a bino pod that is stashed similarly on the other side.

I never thought of this
There has to be a better way.

So I’ve been strapping mine to my pack. I don’t use them all the time while hunting, but it when I need them it’s a PITA to get them or return them when done. Either I have to ask my partner to grab them for me or I have to stop and remove my pack. It’s just not ideal.

I’d like to have a “quick access” method where they are somehow attached to a shoulder strap or belt or anywhere up front where I can reach them. Since I typically have a bow in one hand I really just need access to one of them 99% of the time.

Does anyone have a method for this they’d be willing to share? (Maybe if Kifaru or EXO are listening they can build this into their next model!)
I have been wanting to come up with a solution and nothing

SonnyDay

WKR
The hiking backpack companies figured this out 15 years ago. I copied what’s on my Osprey… which is a loop of bungee with a cord lock attached to one of the shoulder straps, and then a loop of bungee with something to stiffen it/hold a hoop shape at the bottom of the pack (I used some 1/4” sprinkler line to stiffen it):
IMG_5556.jpegIMG_5554.jpeg

elkit

FNG
Usually carry them, if not they go in the pack until needed. Will try to come up with something this upcoming year to easy access when not in use.

JJCascade

FNG
there are molle clips that are just bungee with a hook built in and would be a simple addition to shoulder straps. if someone wanted to use a gun bearer setup but they are concerned with the bottom part, a small dump pouch or other molle pouch could work as well. another option would be clipping the handle strap to a carabiner for the bottom and then strap the bottom on the shoulder strap like @FlyGuy has in his picture on post 15.