How many shots ? ?

How many shots to put down your Elk ???
This year 4 shots into the lungs !!! Copper TTSX
Previously it was only 1 shot with Nosler Partitions.

Got lucky. The bull stood there soaking up the copper. If he ran after the 1st shot, he'd be bear food by now..

sndmn11

WKR
I have a friend's video from 1st rifle of a bull getting three 180gr accubonds from a 300wsm without taking a step before dying. All were in both lungs and one exited.

Got lucky. The bull stood there soaking up the copper. If he ran after the 1st shot, he'd be bear food by now..
I wouldn't complain one bit about that. It sounds ideal.

Ca_Mike

FNG
We have taken 17 elk, most have been one and done.
2 have taken 3 shots
3 have taken 2 shots

Both elk that two 3 shots just stood there and took it until they tipped over.

What cartridge, what bullet weight, and what distance???? Did you recover any of the bullets, or did they all pass through?

Laramie

WKR

I'm not a fan of the TTSX but I'm not sure why you say he would have been bear food. If you put a bullet through both lungs on an elk, they will be dead relatively quickly. The other shots were likely unnecessary however, I agree with your judgement to continue shooting..

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
With a rifle I’ve got three off before - always keep shooting if you’ve got a shot. Overkill is underrated. I saw a bull take 7 from a 30-06 within 100 yards. Everything in the boiler room with accubonds I believe.

Gila

WKR
Monos zip right through. If you can catch a shoulder along with the lungs they will go down on the first shot. But it takes them a while to bleed out enough to lay down other wise. If you use a well constructed bonded bullet, the shock wave from the mushroom will cause a good size wound channel. Bullets like Berger Hybrid hunters, are frag bullets that will rip apart a bull elk but I like elk meat too much to try them. I shot a bull with a mono once and caught the front shoulder and the lungs. It went down like struck by lightening but it took about 20 minutes to bleed out enough to expire. My favorite bullet is the Interbond as it has been a “one and out” bullet for me over the years. I have a few Accubonds left. Can’t find either one for sale right now. I would like to try some Bond-strikes as well. I have been able to find some ELD-X bullets though, so going to work up some loads this winter. I won’t be using monos on elk again though.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Three elk. one shot. two went right down, one went about 30 yards. .300 win mag. Barnes TTSX 180 gr. Last 460 yards, right down.

4rcgoat

WKR
Son just killed his cow elk last night. 1 shot into the lungs with the 270 with 140 grain nosler partitions at 225.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The last bull I shot with a rifle took four 175gr Partitions from my 7mag, all under 30 yards. The first one, he was broadside at 25 yards but there was a blow down between him and me across a lot of his body. So I wanted to anchor him with a high left shoulder shot. I hit him good, but he turned and ran towards me quartering to me. At about 8 yards I shot him in the same left shoulder but lower. He turned and ran away from me, so quartering away I shot through his right side and into that same left shoulder again. Then he disappeared out of sight. I followed and found him wobbling with that left shoulder broadside. I put another one in him and he dropped. Most of the other elk I've shot with a rifle were 1-2 shots.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider

It's possible that he would have stood there wobbling for a bit, then crumpled after the first shot only if you had given him time. Or maybe he would have made it 30yds before his lungs gave out. You'll never know if the other 3 shots were "necessary". But, that's why a hunter keeps shooting, so they never have to find out.
If you were really fast on the reload you might have managed to shoot him 6 times, then you could claim it took 6 bullets to kill him 🤷‍♂️. No one will ever be sure.