How many shots ? ?

Bull in profile pic took one 175 gr Federal Terminal Ascent at 80 yards through both lungs. Dropped to his front knees on impact, stood back up, turned around, and walked about 50 yards before falling for good.

S.Clancy

WKR
2 more data points from last week. @Clarktar shot a cow high shoulder, 370 yards. Dropped and slid immediately, did need a second shot when we got close. 30-06, 168 ELD-X (I think thats what he shot). Same group of elk, lil bro shot a cow through both shoulders, 370 yards, 126 gr Hammer Hunter from a 270 Win. Elk stumbled downhill for 20 yards, then tipped over and slid. Bullet passed thru, good size exit.

There should have been 3 data points, but I suck....

Marble

WKR
Sounds like there's been some great shooting by you guys!!

For me, 1 arrow for a bull, 1 Bullet for #2 bull, 2 for a cow (my first shot was not great...). That's this year.

For those who haven't read it, read the link below. It gives a bunch of info to consider when shooting animals with rifles.

A few cliff notes of things that matter:)

Too fast can be a problem
Too slow can be a problem
Diameter
Bullet weight
Bullet shape
Bullet construction
Size of animal
And probably most importantly bullet placement.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TripleJ

WKR
I’ve been a lifelong bow hunter, so my only data point is this years bull, my 1st rifle kill elk.

1 shot @ 450yds
270 WSM 140 grain accubond
Made it 30 yards and fell over

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I shot a cow at about 400 yards with a 168ttsx from a 30-06. Rear ribs broadside, she went about 200 yards uphill with no blood trail and died.

NB7

WKR
My son shot a cow this year with about the same as above scenario and results. 445 yards. .308 with a 178gr Hornady Precision Hunter. Broadside, rear ribs. Went 300 yards sidehill before it died. 4 of us found no blood at all.

tom338

FNG
How many shots to put down your Elk ???
This year 4 shots into the lungs !!! Copper TTSX
Previously it was only 1 shot with Nosler Partitions.

Got lucky. The bull stood there soaking up the copper. If he ran after the 1st shot, he'd be bear food by now..
Did you look at the lungs of the Elk?? My son and I shot 4 elk this year with 7mm Remington mags, all 150 Grain TTSX bullets. 3 were 1 shot kills the other took 2 rounds. The one that took 2 was dead on its feet but it got anchored with another. The one shot kills----lungs were jello.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
A lot depends if you have an opportunity for a second shot given the terrain. I’ve shot elk multiple times that were “dead on their feet”…

jayhawk

WKR
I shot a 5x5 bull with a .54 roundball at 90yds. with a flintlock. Went through one lung, and he just stood there and died.

1 shot at 310 yds - 180 TSX from a 300 WM. Slipped through the ribs on the way in, got lung{s} and clipped the top of the heart. Did not recover the bullet (Broke a rib on the way out). He walked 20-30 yds, wobbled and fell over.

1 Shot at 410 yds - 175 LRX from a 300 WSM. Double lung pass-thru. Ran 50 yds, trotted/walked another 50 yds and fell over,

I was prepared to keep shooting till they fell, but thankfully it ended pretty quick for both bulls.

Last edited:
Been party to killing and being present for dozens of killed elk. Few have dropped with one shot. Most took 2 before falling. Some took 3-5 hits before falling. I will say that about more than half of them were dead on the spot with the first hit, but the elk were still standing upright. When standing upright we keep shooting.

I have been shooting 7Rm, 175 gr, hornady interlock round nose since the 80s. I can't think of a single elk in that time that took more than 1 shot. This year is my 59th season.

This year was a 350 yd offhand neck shot up a 45degree slope. I even surprised myself.

7 elk with the original Barnes X in varying weights of 200 gr, 225 gr and 250 gr. 5 with the 200 gr TTSX, 2 with the 250 gr Hornady spire point. Varying ranges from under 100 yds to 345 yds from a 35 Whelen AI. One finishing shot needed (from my 44 mag at a few steps) on a cow that was down from the 250 Hornady Spire point. Otherwise, one shot.

5 mule deer with Barnes X or TTSX as well. No survivors from the first shot and fell where they stood.

Based on experience, the original X bullets did not "zip right through" as was shared about monos earlier in the thread. Lungs/heart were not destroyed to the extent of the TTSX, however even the early monos did the job well on broadside shots. "Well" being defined by the animal succumbing in its tracks or after a short distance measured in paces and never out of sight from the spot of the shot. And monos do not need to "catch a shoulder" from experience of many data points. If a hunter walks up on an elk after multiple minutes and it is still alive with tattered, shredded or jellied lungs, lung function was not destroyed meaning the shot didn't catch both lungs like the hunter thought it did. Definitely have been blessed with good bullet performance when the bullet is put in a position to do its job.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
I had a dumbass in a TX Cabela’s tell me that I needed a 416 Rigby for elk. “They’re big animals!”

I was looking at double rifles. Yeah, I’ll take my Dakota 76 up into the mountains that weighs 12+ lbs and drops like hell after 200 yards slinging a 400 grain Barnes Triple Shock.

I’ve only killed 10 bulls using a bow, rifle, and muzzleloader and you’re a Texan who probably went on an elk camping trip once and are now the expert. Got it.

I’m currently hunting 3rd season with my favorite elk gun. .300 Jarrett with 165 AccuBonds that has taken many a deer, elk, and most of the plains game of Western Tanzania.

Guess I'm just an over- the - hill elk hunter. Not sure why or where you get 12 lb rifles. My BARs weigh 7-8 lbs fully loaded. I've killed an elk nearly every year for 59 years with an 06 or 7rm. Same for my son and hunting partner of 50 years. I could see the bigger calibers in Ak but otherwise not so much.

Shoot more - hunt more. It's tough but not that hard.