how quick have you had to take shots

Ive had time to nock, clip, anchor, draw, aim, release and follow thru on each one I've killed. The only time differential being if i had to hold because of obstructions, angles etc. Typical stuff. Shooting position doesnt factor in. They all happen fast.

Last edited:

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
This is the 2022-23 season on elk. Most were filmed.

1. Elk, 515, 45 seconds, prone, timed out
  2. Elk, 608, prone, sub 20sec, timed out
  3. Elk, 640-680y, prone, 40’ish seconds, timed out
  4. Elk, 850y, 45 seconds, prone, timed out
  5. Elk, 910y, prone, 16 seconds, killed
  6. Elk, 628y, prone, more than a minute, killed
  7. Elk, 644y, prone, 8 seconds, killed
  8. Elk, 994y, prone, 24 seconds, missed
  9. Elk, 373y, sitting on pack, 11 seconds, killed
  10. Elk, 373y, sitting on pack, 8 seconds, killed
  11. Elk, 418y, prone, 20’ish seconds, timed out
  12. Elk, 350’ish, prone, 5 seconds, killed
  13. Elk, 287y, 5 seconds, prone, killed
  14. Elk, 458y, prone, 6 seconds, killed
  15. Elk, 490y, prone, 30’ish seconds, killed
  16. Elk, 488y, prone, 30’ish seconds, missed
  17. Elk, 550y, prone, 9 seconds, killed
  18. Elk, 80’ish, standing offhand, 4’ish seconds, killed
  19. Elk, 558y, prone, 17 seconds, killed
  20. Elk, 560y, prone, 17 seconds, missed
  21. Elk, 280y, prone, 13 seconds, killed
  22. Elk, 970-980y, prone, rodeo of more than 40 minutes, killed
I’d love to see how you are training shooters to get down and on the gun with it dialed that fast. There’s got to be a technique that works best.

NoCoElk

FNG
I have had to make quick shots with bow and gun, this times I didn’t get a shot off is when I quit paying attention

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Four of four Elk have been hurry and take the shot. All were on the move through the juniper bush. One at 100 yards moving through and only giving me a few seconds before back behind bush. I anticipated where they were handed and took my shot when they cleared the brush. Same situation at 150 yards, again at 460 yards. the last one at 175 yards. They just don't stand still. Maybe some day.

MTtrout

WKR
Good question. My first thought was plenty of time. For rifle kills the only one that was a quick decision was a cow I show that was trotting thru at close range. The rest of rifle shots on elk they were standing and we were rested. Bow shots have been holding full draw for a bit to a quick draw and release. Time seems to slow down during the moment for me so cannot put an actual time on it but it sure has been slower to the deer I’ve killed back east on drives!

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in western wa. The last bull i shot was crossing a River with the herd. It was a spilt second shot.

Attachments

• 16BA7C22-C424-461D-823B-06AA62AF700F.jpeg
    16BA7C22-C424-461D-823B-06AA62AF700F.jpeg
    626.1 KB · Views: 48

Beendare

WKR
I’ve seen a bunch of scenarios when calling for friends or clients….where they told me, “I didn’t have a shot”..Ugh No dude…you DID have a shot…but you either;
weren’t ready,
Took too long to get to your anchor,
took too long to make up your mind to shoot or
were afraid to shoot through a hole in the trees/brush that you should have.

The good hunters quickly take advantage of that one quick shot opportunity.

edit; IME there is usually a long down period…and even when you spot them a ways out…it can take awhile to get a shot…but when its there…they don’t usually pose for you broadside for 30seconds. Its usually them moving through holes in the woods…or they stop for a short time in a hole to look/listen.

A guy can use this knowledge to improve his shot sequence, making it faster.

Last edited:
Not that I have a wealth of elk hunting experience by any means...
But I'm always shocked at how much elk move. Last year I was at full draw 6 times on one bull chasing cows and couldn't get a shot. Range was between 40 and 70 but he literally did not stop moving once where I could get a shot at his vitals.

His buddy came in to less than 5 yards and I couldn't get a shot because he stopped behind a tree and caught me shaking

The cow I ended up shooting stopped for one step when I choked on my diaphragm trying to calf call at her.

Elk hunting is fun

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
The quickest from sighting to pulling the trigger was probably about 8 - 10 seconds. Bumped him and he ran about 20 yards and turned to see what I was. I couldnt even tell I hit him. No blood, no flintching... nothing. 10 yards away he was on the ground. Thought I missed.

The longest I had lined up was 10-ish minutes. 600 yards away waiting for a good shooting window. Fortunately my friend was watching in a scope. I couldn't see after the shot. He fell over into really thick brush. Not sure I will shoot that far again. Took about 2 hours to find him.

Sorry that was long winded .

Tick

WKR
Most of mine pretty quick. Less than 150yds. in timbered areas. A couple bulls that were quicker than me. Always kind of ticks me off because I like to study elk just being elk and taking my time to shoot.

One hunt we were struggling a little. I knew I didn’t want to blow an opportunity. Coming across an opening looking into thick timber I saw some movement. Two elk immediately quartered toward me at a run out of the timber. I killed the one in the back on the run at about 100 yards. It was 3 seconds after initially spotting him.

One hunt I watched a couple bulls for 3 days before pulling the trigger on one.

And everything in between.

Last edited:

geterdone

FNG
Always have had lots of time where I elk hunt. Often spot them 1000+ yds away and make a plan to get within 500 yds. The last one we watched a heard of 35 elk feeding for an hour before I took the shot. Always am ready for a split second shot but never had to react that fast yet.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One year my buddy and I were on horses during rifle season, and we were making our way up this creek drainage with dark timber on the left and aspens on the right. There was about a foot of snow. Suddenly there's this herd off to the right up ahead about 100 yards. I jumped off the horse, cycled the bolt, and saw a 6x6 standing there. I took aim and because of the trees had to move to my left (while still scoping him) to get a clear shot. My left foot hit a slick rock in that bottom and I went down. The elk took off.

I knew they'd make a break across the bottom and into the timber at some point, so I jumped on the horse and took off at a full gallop. The creek bottom turned to the right a bit because of a small finger ridge coming down from the left. There was an opening in the timber at the top of it off to the left, and that's where I headed. When I got to the opening I jumped off and saw the elk dropping into the bottom about 150 yards ahead. Then I saw a couple cows break through about a 20 yard opening in the timber and I took aim. Several more cows and then the bull came into view and I fired. The bull only went about 30 yards.

Reactions: JSG

Devin

FNG
My one and only shot on an elk happened fast. From the time the bull was spotted until the shot rang out was probably 10 seconds after an almost sprint straight uphill. On one knee, shot uphill at 120 yards.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’d love to see how you are training shooters to get down and on the gun with it dialed that fast. There’s got to be a technique that works best.

Yes. The basic ideas are here-

Most are all quick developing situations. That isn’t to say I haven’t been ready but the time between seeing and shooting is always fast, seconds