How to pick a Pack (Kifaru vs. Exo Mountain vs. Stone Glacier)

Daddy

FNG
Hey everybody, I'm new to Rokslide, so hoping you can help me out. I'm trying to decide what investment I'm going to make on a pack. I have it narrowed to three manufacturers, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo Mountain. I like to do 4 day solo elk and deer hunting trips in the Idaho backcountry and need a good pack after using a cheap external frame for years. I've read many reviews but want to be sure what I'm doing with $600 of pack. From what I've read, I'm leaning towards Stone Glacier. I would like to try all of these packs on, but don't know how, so if you have any info on where to go I would be grateful. I live in Northern Idaho for some of the year and Southern Idaho for the other, so if somebody would be willing to let me try on a pack that would be awesome too. Also if anybody is selling a used pack from any of these brands, I am very interested. Any suggestions on proper fitting, selection, or links to other threads is helpful. Thanks!

I was in the same predicament last month. I ended up with exo mountain 2000 with lid. It's a nice pack the frame really does conform to my body nice. I am glad I picked exo over the other two. But that's my opinion. Both are really good and lots to be said good of kifaru. But for the time being I feel I made the right choice

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I honestly did not do much research. I listen to the Gritty Bowman and listened to Aron Snyder about the Kifaru and bought in completely, and I think they lead me straight. From what I have read on here I dont think you will regret any of the three. I know thats not much help, but I love my Kifaru

svivian

WKR
Why don't you go down to the hunt expo in Salt Lake City in a few weeks. Atleast two of the brands you are looking at will be there and they can help you fit the pack correctly so you can make the most educated decision. Plus you get to check out a bunch of other sweet stuff while you are there.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
I did a spring fishing trip through Montana and southern Idaho to try out sg at their headquarters in Bozeman, mystery ranch at a store in Bozeman, and Exo at their headquarters in Boise. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to try kifaru, but certainly wanted to. After trying what I did, sg xcurve felt great on me, and solidly built, and I preferred their bags and load shelf design over kifaru anyhow, so I went ahead with sg without finding an excuse to travel to Colorado. These direct to consumer companies need to come up with mail order demo programs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I have this for sale in the classifieds...

For Sale: KIFARU LONGHUNTER G2 Packbag & Frame

It has been used but has no rips, tears, or holes. I am selling the Longhunter Bag, Longhunter lid, Gunbearer, and the Frame. Anything else in the pictures is not up for sale.

26" Duplex Frame with aluminum stays. I talked to a nice lady at Kifaru and she measured their current belts for me... This belt would be on the small side of their current medium belt.

I will throw in an older Cargo Chair into this package too. No price change.

It is still in good condition but I am getting a new system so this has to go.

$375 in American Dollars TYD in the continental US.

425.890.4714 is my cell if anyone wants extra pics or to chat about it. My name is Derrek.

First posted " I'll take it" gets the package.

Riplip

WKR
Bottom line is you cant make a bad or wrong choice with any of the three mentioned companies as they all make great packs and doubt you would be disappointed with any of the choices. In addition they all have awesome customer service and if you order one online and for some reason it the fit does not work out you can simply return it. In addition there is a great secondary market for all of these pack companies so if you don't like it after a season of use just put on classifieds and start over.

EXO is in your neck of the woods (Boise) so that may be the easiest of the three to try out. I have the 2200 and love it, I have tried both SG and Kifaru. My $.02 and just based on my experience, the EXO fell in the middle of the other two packs. If i was going to haul a bunch of weight consistently and wanted a lot of options and accessories I would go with Kifaru, if you are an ounce counter/minimalist SG fits the bill. Everyone will give you different opinions based on their own experiences and everyone will be right! Pick one and enjoy!

OP
D

Daddy

FNG
I looked into that but I'm in Northern Idaho for a few months now so that's a long ways haha. Thanks for the idea though, I hope to go another year

I chose SG, my brother chose kifaru, and my dad chose exo. As you can see everyone likes different types. My decision came down to which pack would orginize my gear the way i wanted and the new SG Sky Guide 7900 was perfect for me. All of them are top of the line and woyldnt hesitate to take any of them into the backcountry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wish one of the shows would come to Michigan. I would have loved to be able to try them before buying, but like I said earlier I am very happy with my Kifaru Woodsman.

What btbowers said... The decision is going to have a lot to do with your style and how you plan on using it. If you're going to regularly be hauling 100lb+ loads or like modularity and changing loadouts depending on trip you should go with a Kifaru. If you're a weight weenie minimalist and your backpack being the lightest it can possibly be then you should go with Stone Glacier. Kifaru is coming out with a lighter frame soon, but I doubt they'll beat SG in the lightest category, but they will be closer. Exo is a great pack for those coming from the REI/Osprey backpack world but want some load hauling capability if they need it. Keep in mind that Exo packs are fixed at 25", so if you're too tall or too short it won't work for you. Your torso length should probably be 17-20" for a good fit.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested to hear what you have to say about the packs. I am going to buy either a SG talus 6900 or a kifaru fulcrum next month. I have a kuiu icon pro that is an ok pack, but I just can't get the fit right. I don't have the luxury to try on the kifaru or SG before buying so I have to just order and hope for the best.

twall13

WKR
I agree with what Colineman said. I really like the layout of the Exo but I have a long torso and after using the Exo for 2 years I bought a Kifaru frame and mounted the Exo bags to it. The Kifaru 26" frame is closer to 27" by my tape measure. I'm really liking that setup. It's not as light as an Exo or Stone Glacier system but the Kifaru frame fits me well and hauls heavy weights incredibly well. I liked the Exo frame a bit better with pack weights under 40 lbs. but I like the Kifaru much better under heavier loads with my long torso. I'd love to try a Stone Glacier at some point but I've found a pack system that works well for me so I'm in no hurry.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Pretty sure that the frame heights on Kifaru and SG are fixed as well, at least the 2 SGs and 3 Kifarus I have owned were.

Pretty sure that the frame heights on Kifaru and SG are fixed as well, at least the 2 SGs and 3 Kifarus I have owned were.

Kifaru offers frames in 22", 24", 26" and 28", which they will help you order the correct one for your height.

Exo only offers their frame in one height: 25". This can be an issue if you're tall or very short.

SG also only offers one frame height. I think theirs is 26" though, but could be wrong as they don't specify on their site that I can find.

kickemall

WKR
You could always order all three and ship the two back that you don't like, at your expense of course but if your set on trying them on this would probably be the cheapest way. I'm the exception and think you can go wrong with any of them. Packs are a personal fit and a personal choice. They're all quality packs but fit and the way they feel are totally different on each individual. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

bmart2622

WKR
No, you are right. But each frame is fixed at the perspective height. A 22" is fixed at 22" 24"at 24".....

No, you are right. But each frame is fixed at the perspective height. A 22" is fixed at 22" 24"at 24".....

Yeah, if you want one you can change you'll have to go with Seek Outside that offers the 2" extensions. Also, I think MR had/has a frame(s) with slide out load lifter extensions. My point was that if you aren't semi-average height that you might be forced into Kifaru.

bmart2622

WKR
Yeah man, I gotch ya. The first post I thought you were saying that the frame height was adjustable. I think you are better off having too much height than not enough.